Why jailbreak an Apple TV 2?

zed4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a used Apple TV on eBay. It was advertised as an Apple TV 3, but it turns out that it's a 2nd gen.

I have three options I guess, I notify the seller and get a refund then buy the ATV 3 I wanted, I sell it and buy ATV 3, or I keep it and jailbreak it.

I've read up online about the process of jailbreaking, looks easy enough. But I'm not sure I understand why. How would I benefit from jailbreaking it?

I only really use it to send images and videos from my iPhone to the TV, as the media share thing on the TV isn't that great. It's slow and unreliable. Airplay seems much better. I also use it to play music in the lounge from Spotify and from my iTunes library.

What extra benefit would I get from jailbreaking it? I know you can install XBMC and Kodi, I've never used these apps before, so what would I do with them? I currently mainly use Spotify for music, or my iTunes library which is stored on an external HDD connected to my iMac. For films I use Sky or Netflix, but I am thinking of leaving Sky. So would a jailbroken ATV 2 be of much benefit to me?

Many thanks!

Dan

Only 1 reason Kodi.I would return it and get an ATV 4.

None that I can think of.

The ATV 3 is 1080p, the ATV 2 is only 720p.

ATV 2 has a premium because it can be jail broken, so I may sell it on and get a 4.
Exactly, the ATV2 was quite sought after, but the arrival of other boxes such as the new Amazon Fire TV may have made it less popular.
One other question, can you get All 4 on demand and ITV Player on ATV? I've noticed they're not on my new LG OLED TV
Neither of those apps were on the ATV3 and aren't on the ATV4 yet, but might be 'soon'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom