Why isn't there any decent HDMI players!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by whitenoise, Mar 27, 2006.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After just buying a new HD LCD, I thought better buy a decent upscaling DVD player with HDMI to make use of it. However my excitement has turned to annoyance to find there isn't one decent DVD player!

I liked the Denon 1920, but read it has lip sync problems - a big no-no. Problems with the Tosh apparently and I don't like its look anyway. The Samsung has annoying messages popping up all the time, so thats out. The Sony is supposed to have problems as well! That basically excludes all the <£300-£500 players then.

Does anyone know anything about the new Sony - DVP-NS76H? £99, upscaling and a HDMI - it has to be too good to be true. Just when you think you have a corker, you find that it too has some flaw. I just hope this new Sony doesn't otherwise I might just by the Sony 200GB recorder (at £600 :rolleyes: ) just to get a decent picture via HDMI and upscaling. Do you really have to resort to this to get a decent picture these days?!

Manufacturers! Sort out your problems!!!!!! :thumbsdow

2. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Go for the ns92, connect it with component and forget about upscaling. :thumbsup:

3. steve0

steve0
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you can find a Panasonic s97 go for that, I think the picture is superb

4. Dom996

Dom996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well obviously I would suggest try an Arcam. They don't upscale, but without going into it again, that's not normally neccessary from an SD source.

I also agree that the Panasonic players are good. I have tried a few and for the money they have excellent blacks and contrasting even compared to the popular Toshibas.

5. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    What about Oppo, it is a very good DVD Player.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Oppo DVI to HDMI. Sorted.

7. calibradtm

calibradtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    just because other people have problems doesn't mean you will.i have the toshiba sd350e and haven't had any problems with it.

8. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    The Samsung doesn't output via the scart when HDMI is connected. Why is that?
    (The scart output can be useful for feeding around the house.)

9. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    What about going secondhand/eBay and getting the denon 3910 (<£600) or Pioneer 868 (c£500)

10. whitenoise

whitenoise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Arcam is too expensive for me I am afraid. I don't fancy the Oppo, as I would prefer a true HDMI player rather than a DVI > HDMI, even though there is probably no difference! IMO I think the Panasonic looks ugly!

I agree that not all players will have these problems, as some people report that the Denon, for example, works fine. However I would be using it multi-region and using the HDMI connection which is where the problems apparently lie. When you read these problems though, it does put you off. If there was a 1-10 chance of getting a duff player then that would be the one I got! :suicide:

Would it make a difference if the dealer did the multi-region upgrade? If the player then did have problems, I guess I could always take it back..

Thinking about it though, I might not encounter problems. I will be using the digital coax to transfer sound to my old Denon which has Dolby Headphone, as I listen to all my movies through my Senn 595. I was going to buy the new Denon s-301 (Dolby HP + HDMI), but if I can spend &#163;200 on the 1920, and &#163;40 on a decent digital coax, then this is much cheaper than &#163;1000 on the s301 :D

Guess the only thing I don't like about the 1920 is the garish black remote! It doesn't really go with the nice silver of the player does it? :devil:

Will have to see what people think of the new sony (comes out next month) compared to the Denon and go from there.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Momistu V880 .. c. &#163;200 .. excellent.
    SnaZio 1350 .. c. &#163;250 .. excellent.
    Pioneer 868 .. c. &#163;600 (now) .. excellent.

Not sure how you're evaluating . :rolleyes:

BTW, HDMI isn't needed, DVI is perfectly good, don't get sucked into the hype. ;)

12. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    the thing is we are not gonna see many hdmi players now with blu-ray and HD-DVD just round the corner,ive had both panasonic S97 and sony ns-92 no probs what so ever,in my opinion i think the sony has better picture quality:thumbsup:
    also if your after the 250gb recorder i would be quick cause it has been discon and not many of them about now

13. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Why is that? Surely not everyone is going to be able to afford to chuck all their DVDs out and re-get them in HDDVD/BlueRay.

So far all the SD material I have seen on LCDs/Plasmas have looked dreadful (I know this does not have to be so as my brothers notebook looks fantastic even playing non-anamorphic SD sources)

14. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    I have an LCD based TV and some of my DVD's look great.
    Vertical Limit (superbit edition) looks teriffic.

15. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    no one said you had to chuck all your old dvd aways and buy again :suicide: blu-ray and hd-dvd players will still play standard dvd's,and will upscale:thumbsup:

16. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Usually because the scalers in them are poor .. and laptops look good because the small display size (physical, not resolution) means the pixel density (per square inch) doesn't show up the softening and other artifacts (ringing) which poor scaling introduces.

17. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It has been mentioned a couple of times here already, (alot cheaper now than when I got mine :eek: ) but another BIG vote for Pioneer 868

Shane

18. in2deep

in2deep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no difference, video-wise, they both transfer the video signal digitally, which can only ever be 1's and 0's. The difference between them is that DVI is video-only, requiring a seperate audio connection, and HDMI combines the 2 into 1 socket.

The Oppo is multiregion out of the box. It has auto-switching between NTSC and PAL formats, and I've not needed to do anything to mine, other than to plug it in and switch it on ;)

I quite like the Oppo remote - it has glow-in-the-dark buttons :D

19. John Clark

John Clark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I second in2deep the Oppo is a great player, the only difference between Dvi and HDMI is that DVI doesn´t carry sound. And it looks good too, I was surprised when it came ot of the box because all the pictures of the player make it look ugly.

Best Regards

John

20. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    That is not really true. HDMI brings a few improvement to the table video wise if implemented even in the 1.0 spec, it is however evolving.

Notice the 1.3 spec adds 48bit colour to the video signal etc

21. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    But in order to take advantage of the higher specifications, the source material needs to be designed for it. DVDs are 8-bit, and no matter how much processing you do, you really can't get past that point. DVI is 8-bit as well, and most HDMI devices are 10-bit (some do the native 12-bit).

HDMI has the advantage/disadvantage of being upgradeable. In one sense it is great that each generation of HDMI brings new features (1.2 is starting to hit the streets, which allows for digital DRM), but at the same time, it is a disadvantage because you need the content and receiving equipement to match it.

And HDMI 1.3 has not been released yet, so we really can't argue that in the current situation. Right here, in this present moment, the only real advantage of HDMI over DVI is its ability to carry multi-channel audio and video through the same cable. Effectively, HDMI should look better than DVI (higher bit processing) but this has not really been shown in practice.

22. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    'There is' and 'they have' is your answer. The marantz DV6600 is the pick of the bunch short of purchasing a Marantz DV9600 or Denon DVD5910. Stonking performance, great all rounder and no bugs whatsoever. Here's my review of the player:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315961

23. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Again the added processing allows a bit of headroom that can produce a better picture, this has been argued to death on more technical sites(read as avsforum) but the bottom line is HDMI is not the same as DVI though they will perform some of the same functions. That was all that was been clarified. Im not saying you will get a better picture etc, though you might and in time you will.

24. whitenoise

whitenoise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer is out of my price range I am afraid. I'm still not convinced about the Oppo, it's just something I don’t really fancy I guess. Don't know nothing about the marantz DV6600, but will look into to it. Will have to wait until the Sony DVP-NS76H is released and then decide on wheather to get the Denon, Sony or maybe the marantz.

25. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I have one and agree 100%. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

26. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +483
    Me too!

27. don240

don240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The uk will most probebly get H D DVD. As it is backwards compatable all your DVD,s will still play.
    This link will answer any other questions. www.the-hdtv-tuner.com/

28. drpellypo

drpellypo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 9000s, and the quality is stunning. Hard to get a hold of, but they are out there. SOunds quality is fantastic too.