why is'nt the BenQ8700 the best seller?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog2, Jun 8, 2004.

1. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The BenQ8700 is by far the most affordable true wide screen 16.9 WXGA DLP projector. At £2750 it is £3-4000 cheaper then the other Mustang DLP projector. So why are people not buying it?

I would buy one if I could afford it - I have the NEC 1000HT which is sadly a 4.3 ratio projector

2. LongBow

LongBow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eugdog2,

Who says they are not selling it?

Maybe its their marketing dept that need seeing to.

LongBow

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There was a big problem with a dodgy batch showing bad barrel distortion..... maybe this has scared away dealers

ad

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I also truly wish that UK knew more about Onkyo, Benq, Kenwood - big brands (in particular NA and Asia) outside the island with great products.

Perhaps Benq hired the Onkyo marketing department who in turn came from Kenwood ;D

Wasabi

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Benq are gradually establishing themselves in the UK..... they make some fantastic laptops for example which are starting to become available here..... a couple of years and I suspect things will be somewhat different

ad

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Seriously, being in HK atm, I know that Benq won't make the same mistake as Onkyo and Kenwood.

Here they spend a lot on marketing their excellent products, and as Buns say, they have really good laptops and they are swiftly moving into mobile phones (although new models are introduced a bit slow here).

And they are the official Euro2004 IT partner sponsor!!!

I am sure that the sponsorship was the first step in their grand marketing strategy plan ;p

If they can replicate their pj success in North America (its not only 8700 that is a super seller, 6200 and 7800 is very rapid gaining big threads and positive support in avsforum) and make sure that the customer service here will be as good as over there, then I hope we have a winner.

Wasabi

7. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I have a BenQ PE8700 and it's excellent. Very film-like, smooth picture, no rainbows, no headaches, no barrel distortion.

Only problem so far is it doesn't get on well with the HDMI output of Pioneer players.

8. JonathanD

JonathanD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    eugdog2,

I would not be too disappointed that you only have a 4.3 NEC projector!

Have you actually tried the 8700 side by side with yours to see what additional quality you get? I've read various reports (look on AVSForum for instance) that say the difference is not that great - certainly not in all situations, it depends on the rest of the set-up, throw and viewing distance etc.

I also "only" have a 4.3 projector (Themescene/Optoma H56) which is quite similar in performance to yours. But have you tried an anamorphic lens on yours? This allows you to use the whole chip but uses the optics to stretch (or squeeze) the image to a widescreen one.

As an add on it would give you close to 8700 performance but for much less outlay!

Regards,

Jonathan

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would point out that many have bought the NEC projectors when in direct price competition with the likes of the benq and have done so based on performance..... the 16:9 panel is no guarantee of a better image

ad

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    I have a BenQ 8700+ and for me it was the only projector, apart from the sharp 12k or marantz S3, that I was getting close to a watchable image when coming from CRT.

These things are selling, and selling well, I know what it was like waiting for enough stock to arrive when the hd2+ chips where put in them.

I have seen the 4:3 and it is a very good unit, I think maybe because the NEC was out before the 8700 and that is what people went with at the time?

Watching true hi-def at 720p on the HD2+ projectors is pretty impressive though :)

I am actually thinking of selling mine and just having a plasma as we are moving and my wife really doesn't want it on the ceiling, can't bring myself to do it though, every time I wach something on it I put off advertising it :(

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like what I did..... a strage trasition to make but I find the ability to use the plasma with other sources at any time more than makes up for the loss until I have somewhere to put a projector

ad

12. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    The BenQ is a popular install it and be done with projector, but doesn't get on too well with video processors and HTPCs etc and isn't extracting the best possible from the HD2+ chip. (although for it's price it does bloody well) In comparison with the NEC I would say they are both very close, the NEC offering better colour and processing, the BenQ the higher resolution.

You may be having probs with HDMI-DVI because the BenQ doesn't accept native resolution via VGA or DVI (making it useless with HTPC and you could only really use a video processor sending 720P component to the one component input it has that accepts progressive scan!). I'm not too sure which video standards it accepts through DVI (480p, 576P, 720P etc) but the only PC type resolutions it will take are VGA, SVGA, XGA and SXGA.

13. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I not sure thats quite the case Liam. I've seen one running some HDTV stuff that I have used on my own projector and it looked fine to me although admittedly I didn't count every pixel, it certainly didn't appear to have anything missing that I could see and it was an HTPC/DVI combo it was running on.

See also http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=406941&highlight=benq+htpc , quote "I had no problems getting 1:1 pixel mapping with my ATI card and DVI. Used Powerstrip to add 1280x720, and set the pj to ana mode. There is no scaling or overscan of the picture (even if the internal scaler isn't bypassed). It is very easy to see on standards computer screens. If there is any degradation of the picture, I would be surprised, it looks perfect to me."

Widescreen Review also reported in their review of the BenQ in the latest issue that "using the DVI input, 720p images are not scaled and are "pixel perfect". Using the HDTV input, 720p images are scaled for about 2% overscan and are therefore not "pixel perfect". All other pixel resolutions are scaled to fit the 1280x720 panel." And "DVI input worked well on both DVI-D and analog RGBHV signals. There was zero overscan".

To describe it as useless with an HTPC is somewhat overstating the matter and is doing the projector a great dis-service. From what's being said on AVSForums Benq will likely address this issue (an issue that appears to be somewhat overblown) - if Benq issue a new firmware for fan noise then I can't see them ignoring this for very long.

I think question asked by the title of this thread is a very interesting one. Given this is an HD2+ projector at a bargain price that gives pj's at twice the price a run for their money, you'd think folks would be singing its praises but unfortunately thats not the case, at least not in the UK. If the pj were crap I could well understand but its not that (Runco think its so good they use the chassis for their own 710 at 3 times the price!). In truth, the BenQ has been downplayed around here to the point that you'd hardly think it even existed,....... I wonder why? Maybe its low price means that potential retailers would rather sell some other brand of pj that offers higher profit margins? Who knows.

Its certainly a great projector and no worse than any other HD2+, it may offer less bells and whistles but its the display that counts and Widescreen Review are happy to use language like "superb results", "superb low-level detail", "excellent performance", "excellent grayscale", "excellent colorimetry", etc in their review - in fact I can't find any negative points at all in the review.

"Useless"? Sorry, but Widescreen Review and a heck of a lot of other people disagree with you totally.
    Paul

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    Yeah I have to agree, to me it was the best projector this side of £5k without going down the import route.

I don't want to say too much as I have just put mine up for sale in the classifieds and don't want to seem like I am trying to up sell it, but I would happily demo it against any single chip on the market at the moment and you would be hard pushed to see where your extra £4k was going compared with the other HD2+ pj's out there imho.

15. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Blimey I stand corrected, probably could've used better wording!! From my experience I couldn't get anything into the VGA socket from our kit here except for the resolutions I mentioned in the post (was the HD2 version though), it certainly wasn't taking 1280 x 720. We then had a right nightmare with the iScan HD when we took the 8700 down to Owl Video, the best overall picture we got was sending 720p. Still couldn't help but feel the picture, as bright as it was, was still not "clear" brightness if you know what I mean. Again i've no clue what the + version offers asides from the newer HD2+ chip, but I hadn't assumed they had done much. Gonna have to get a demo 8700+ down here now and probably eat my own words!!

16. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well im the lucky one that managed to bag guy's 8700+ which should hopefully be winging it's way to me by next wednesday or so.. i'll be sure to post my thoughts when i get it :)

looking forward to trying it out as for a while i was thinking i was going to have to compromise and get the hs20 as i couldnt afford the benq new

cheers again guy :thumbsup:

17. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I have to agree, and can see why people would say i want my head examining for spending £7000 on the Marantz S3! :oops:

The Benq projector seem to offer fantasic value for money, and in this time of fast changing technology they are a safer buy.

But like any type of hi tech kit, certain things have to be cut back to keep the price lower. And i would imagine it would only be after longer usage that these things start to show.

The quality of optics, and fan noise might not be as good as the premium brands for example.

But i do suspect snobbery does come into it, with people only wanting certain brand names in their cinema rooms!

I bought the S3 purely on instinct (that it would suit my needs). And thankfully, it more than does that.
    It seems very "polished" in everything it does.

But i do wonder if the 8700+ might have also been as suitable, and saved me some cash! :D

Eitherway, i'm very happy with my choice and would imagine most 8700+ owners would be just as happy with theirs!:smashin:

18. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I reckon Benq being relative new to the pj market here in UK, the trust to the brand are not properly built up yet. Their Taiwanese competitors Infocus and Optoma have been around for much longer, not to mention the Japanese. But they will come with a force, having conquered NA with 6200, 7800 and 8700, their next generations of pj will be again, equally good as Infocus and Optoma, and still having a huge price advantage, and hopefully, customers this time will be many more.

BTW, isn't it cool that today 3 of the best DLP brands are Taiwanese brands, you wouldn't think that you would be buying a pj made in Taiwan, would you?

Wasabi