1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why isn't anyone talking about TIVO?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bada Bing, Oct 30, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hard Disk technologyis potentially a revolution in video recording, so why hasn't HCC focused on it more?
    I've checked out their website and it only discusses the US version. Does anyone know if the UK version has RGB Scart. I'd consider buying one if it had. There's also the "Cable Ready" tuner, does it accept ntl viewing cards.
    The players are going for 400 notes in dixons etc, but me won't be paying those exhorbitant prices.
    What do you guys think? Am I missing some major flaw?

------------------
    "Open the safe paps. If you don't open that on the count of three, 1, 2, - fudge Me"
    Website coming soon

2. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I for instance have no Idea what it is... Have a link that explains ? Or could you bother ? Thanks

Rui

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Here you go mad man... www.tivo.com/what/intro.html

------------------
    "Open the safe paps. If you don't open that on the count of three, 1, 2, - fudge Me"
    Website coming soon

4. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yep. It doesnt make the programs any better, just lets you watch them when you want. Just makes you watch more crap on demand.

5. mercury

mercury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there's a tivo or replayTV system scheduled for release in Holland? I hear it's problematic because there would have to be a dutch 'server' for the set-top boxes, and Holland is a very small market of course. I would seriously consider buying one if they would release it over here.

6. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Its the monthly subscription and phone costs that put me off - I really like the technology idea but don't want to pay either £199 one off or £10 per month to use a clever video. When you can just purchase the machine then I'll consider it.

7. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andypearce, you can just buy the machine and use it as you would use a VCR, but that is kinda missing the point of having a "smart" digital recorder. You also could buy a Panasonic ReplayTV. Replay, does not have a monthly subscription, but the player is $200 more than the TIVO so you are essentially paying the subscription fee up front.
    I would imagine as Tivo/Replay start to recoup R&D costs the players will come down in price, either that or they will stay the same price and give you more recording time. As with anything early adoptors get the shaft a little, I can truly say that after owning one I really love the unit (Tivo) and I don't watch any more TV than I used to. I just watch the programs when I want, and Sunday afternoon football (American) will never be the same.....my own instant replays, pause live action to get a beer, catch up to real time during the commercials. Fun stuff!
    Miles, I don't know the answers to your questions but you can ask them on the UK Tivo users forum, or I can, whichever you prefer. http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgitivo/Ultimate.cgi

8. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks mate!

------------------
    Website coming soon

[This message has been edited by MilesBennettDyson (edited 30-10-2000).]

9. darrellk

darrellk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Quick question - can you copy from TIVO onto Video tape (for archiving)?

And another thing - why was there never a VCR with a digital satellite tuner?

Darrell.

10. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Tivo has a "dump to videotape" feature that makes it quite easy. I would assume Replay has the same, but I don't know for sure.
    In answer to your second question....I don't know why. If you would have come up with the idea 5-6 years ago, we would all own a Darrellrecorder maybe you would be rich.

11. eibborc

eibborc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Guys,

If you're looking at TIVO and you already have SkyDigital, you're better off waiting till the spring when Sky will be launching their next-gen Digibox which will have TIVO (or similar technology) and two tuners built in to one box. That means the wife can record Fawlty Towers repeats while I'm watching footy.......BONUS!

Also it means you'll be able to ditch your VCR (who uses theirs anymore?) and there's free space in the cabinet for another piece of kit!!

12. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with eibborc. Although I am the sort of person who jumps at the chance of buying any new piece of kit I can wait for the Sky dual-tuner box. The only doubt over this is how good the "fuzzy logic" functionality is compard to Tivo (rumour has it that it will have none, which is a shame, I fancied arriving home to find the box telling me that it had recorded a dozen programmes with female nudity in!!!!).

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going slightly off the path and not meaning to change the subject......will this new digibox have Dolby digital or are they gonna stick too the analogue format? If so, it should be a nice bit of kit (unless it requires rebooting once a week like the digiboxes now!)

Dan www.danwright.atfreeweb.com

14. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can't see Dolby Digital happening for a few years yet. We'll probably get a new digital standard for over here. DD is part of the US DVB standard, but not in Europe.

------------------
    Website coming soon

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not strictly true....DD is available on a 'test' basis already on the European digital services,in fact there is a Dolby test channel and it just loops through all the Dolby intros...I have added an RCA jack to the back of my Nokia 9200 and enjoy full Dolby digital on this test channel, some channels in europe plan to have the dolby signal early next year.
    The reason Sky don't want to go DD is because they want quantity of programming and not quality, eg only recently did channels like 'The Box' and 'Kiss' upgrade their video so that there wasn't significant artifacting.
    DD may come to SKY if they see enough TV's with DD on board,probably at least another year away yet.....but at least they are going to put ITV and ITV2 on Sky from early next year [​IMG]

Tom...

16. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A question

As these new recorders are based on HDD will you be able to upgrade the HDD for a bigger one and does anyone know the size of the HDD they come with in Gb.

Steve

17. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monkey Boy, I think the UK Tivos are 30Hr units. And yes you can add a second hard drive look at the Tivo Hacks forum here: http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgitivo/Ultimate.cgi

Many people have increased thier record time to 70-100Hrs I have not tried yet, but I will hack my 14Hr unit when I get my new Sattelite/Tivo.

18. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120

19. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a total bummer......I wouldn't give up hope yet though. I'm sure some real savy/smart person will figure out a way to hack it eventually.

------------------
    Who had the "nada" omlette?