why is widescreen not full screen?

nisnos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hello

even though i have a widescreen 16:9 44 inch lg dlp my dvds still have the obligatory letterbox bars and some tv programs have stuff i cant see as if its spreading off the screen - this i noticed on my old tv too but that wasnt widescreen.

chers in advance :thumbsup:

nisnos said:
hello

even though i have a widescreen 16:9 44 inch lg dlp my dvds still have the obligatory letterbox bars and some tv programs have stuff i cant see as if its spreading off the screen - this i noticed on my old tv too but that wasnt widescreen.

chers in advance :thumbsup:
Most DVD movies are not 16:9 but are in fact 2.35:1, this the native aspect ratio of most movies when shown in the cinema hence why you still get a letterbox effect. You're not the first to ask this nor will you be the last.

Read the following http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

If you are using a digital set top box make sure it is set to 16x9. Make sure your DVD player is also set to 16x9 in it's menu. If you are watching analogue TV it 4:3.

tv wise im on telewest cable how do i set that up or is it pre set

thanks again

Digital cable boxes have setup menus too. One of them will be to pick the aspect ratio. You'll have the choice of 4:3, 16:9 and 4:3LB (letterboxed). If you have a 16:9 TV that's how you should set it. The other two are for how you want to watch on a 4:3 TV.

Regards

Mark

if the black bars really bother you the LG has a zoom function that opens the picture up to fill the screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom