Why is voice chat on the ps3 so crap?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by emporer, Apr 26, 2007.

1. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I love my ps3, I love playing Motorstorm amongst others, I don't love the frickin hassle of trying to talk to people when playing a game. I mean how difficult can it be? Microsoft have it down to a tee, never once have I had trouble on my 360 trying to chat to people, yet try and talk on the ps3 is just so frustrating. Every time I make sure its all working and only once have I ever had a chat in game.

Sony really need to sort out some of the online aspects of their system as it falls way short of what MS do. This is why tonight I got so fed up of trying to chat in Motorstorm I turned it off and played VT3 on the 360 and had a ball with 3 others playing doubles!!!!!

2. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    i had motorstorm issues until i put ps3 in dmz and no probs since.

Comms are fine, the issue tends to be no one else has a headset

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    suppose you are right, MS did a master stroke by throwing in a headset with a 360 prem, most of the people on live will be wearing it and ready to chat.

4. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    voice chat is fairly rubbish to me as I can't seem to get it to blerry work. I've tried using a bluetooth headset, I've tried just routing the output through my amp and the input from a USB mike. I've still not heard a thing from anyone else, even in games advertising that they are for headset players.

I'm fairly sure it's to do with port forwarding, but my router supports upnp, the test says it's nat 2 and it doesn't work. I've port forwarded the ports I'm supposed to according to some web guides I've read and it still doesn't work. I can't seem to put the PS3 in the DMZ, I've followed the guide but the right options don't show up in the right places.

My isp is bethere, if that makes any difference.

not sue what my next step is now.

dave

5. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    That's because most people don't have a headset. I plan on getting one, when Sony get their act together and release an official one.

Online play is absolutely awsome (coming from a PC online gamer) and quite easy to set up, especially on Motorstorm and RFOM, but without talking to other people, half the excitement is gone.

Sony have f'ed up big time in my opinion by not releasing an official head set.

btw my ispp is also bethere:)

6. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

R you a South African perhaps ??:D :D :D Only they use a word like that !
    :smashin: :smashin:

If you are - Hi !!:hiya: I'm too !:smashin:

7. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    so can you hear audio from others or not?

heh, I'm not no, but I did live in durban for five years when I was a teenager :)

lekker

dave

8. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    my main point in this thread is really that Sony aint made it easy, whereas MS bundled a headset and its just plug in and go but Sony with all this bluetooth crap which doesnt work half of the time are just being stupid. Just like Sony's online service, its not well thought through at all.

Maybe we have been spoiled by the near perfect Live service and just expect more from Sony.

9. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I wouldn't expect the ps3 to become comms orientated , any day soon.

10. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    you're not wrong that it would have been good to include a headset. I would have loved them to put a proper usb port on the controller so you could plug a usb headset into it and have it routed over bluetooth into the PS3 (I take it that doesn't work?).

however, the problem of reliable peer to peer NAT traversal across consumer firewalls has been solved (skype anyone?) so why are so many people having difficulty getting voice comms working on the ps3?

dave

11. riprse

riprse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    i have a head set that seems to work but all i can hear from others is static & when i do get a vioce through its so awful i can hardly understand a word . so mostly i dont bother with it .

12. dannius

dannius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    So is it not worth buying a headset for use with the PS3 at all then?

13. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    They work fine. The general problem with headsets (14 years olds shouting their mouth off, people playing music through them, etc.) is still there, but then the other system had that too. You'll never solve that one (maybe limit chat to only your friends might be an option I guess).

Motorstorm breaks up for some people.. never has done for me (not that people talk much anyway.. it's not that kind of game). I wouldn't read the negatives as saying they don't work.. it's just that some have issues and they ended up in this thread.

14. riprse

riprse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    i think if your going to get a headset get a good one. my mate said he can hear other people in the room chatting when i use mine but its a £70 head set (reduced in carfone warehouse to £40) from my end it always sounds as if the other person has the mouth piece to close so you cant hear them well.
    not sure how it sounds on rfom but motor storm sucks

15. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Only have problem with comms in MotorStorm. R:FoM works fine and are esstential when playing with your mates IMO.

16. vtrnutter

vtrnutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I must be lucky, because I simply ordered a B'tooth headset, paired it, and it just worked. Didn't have to touch router (BTW UPNP on my router is switched off). Comms works perfectly in Motorstorm etc.

Some breakup is experienced when the PS3 is accessing disk and loading data, but that is all.

Must be the luck of the draw with the hardware I guess. My router is a Safecom device, connected to PS3 via hard wired ethernet. Headset is a Jabra 150 something or other.
    :smashin:

17. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    I have a Motorola H350 bluetooth headset and had real problems with it. I then bought a Logitech USB headset which actually does work on everything I have tried with it. It obvioulsy isn't wireless but at least it does work. It also has £20.00 off it at the moment at PC World (can reserve online and collect in store if desired).

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=384683&category_oid=

18. Bojanglez

Bojanglez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I have a Motorolla H300 (£18 from Argos), paired with my PS3 no problems. Works perfectly with RFOM.

If you are having problems you should check that the bars move up and down when you test it after pairing. If they do and you still can't hear things in games then you might need to enable DMZ on your router.

The main problem I have is that not enough people actually talk in games, I have only properly talked to people from the AVForums clan in RFOM, everyone else only seems to talk to say "die bitch" or something similar.

19. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Mine works with R:FOM some of the time. Other times I can hear nothing. It doesn't work at all with Motorstorm. Whenever I reboot the PS3 it still appears to be paired with the H350 but is 'greyed out' in the audio devices screen on the PS3 and the sound bars don't respond. They only way to fix this is to repair it again. I got sick of doing ths everytime, so switched to a USB headset.