1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is this ultra-portable laptop so cheap?

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by sapgem, Oct 8, 2004.

1. sapgem

sapgem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The laptop in question is the FUJITSU SIEMENS LIFEBOOK S6120 1.3 Celeron model (1.7kg, 13.3 inch screen, dvd/cd-rw, wifi). On dealtime.co.uk this is listed at £680 inc VAT and in stock at several different places. The next model up the 1.4 Pentium M is over £300 dearer, but appears to share the same spec otherwise.

The strange thing is that I can't find any mention of the 1.3 Celeron model in reviews or official F-S info. The reviews of the 1.4 are glowing though (esp when it comes to battery life - the clincher for me).

Ok.. so what's the catch?

2. Megalomaniac

Megalomaniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Celeron is the catch - avoid! It's old old old technology, and you'll get more power out of a pentium m, a relatively new mobile processor

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use a 1.5 Celeron laptop for Cad, 3D design and graphics and this works well without problems.

Obviously a faster processor is better, but just because its older, does not mean it is useless.

The mobile versions will have some power saving features, so if you intend to use the laptop away from a power outlet for long periods, then this may be worth it.
    But a spare battery is much cheaper than that £300 difference

4. sapgem

sapgem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The processor is a Celeron-M. Managed to find some info on this from Toms Hardware guide. Seems that it is based on recent technology - essentially a Pentium-M core with half the cache disabled. In terms of performance it is very similar to its big brother in all but one respect.

The difference is it lacks many of the Pentium-M's advanced power saving features. Seems like this translates into significantly worse battery performance. Given the Lifebook is said to do 3.5 hours on the Pent-M 1.4 looks like it will only have 2.5 hours ish with the Cel-M 1.3 (based on the info on THG).

Decided i'm gonna buy one - may go for an extra battery. Will update this thread when I've had a chance to test it out.