why is there such i limited choice?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Martin68, Apr 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Martin68

Martin68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I still cant understand whats going on in the electronics indstry, it seems that DVB has been with us for a good 6 years now and theres now hundreds of manufacturers producing television sets mostly analog though, (i know that many are clones of others) but why is it the case that theres only a small handfull of PVR manufactureres? ive tryed a Humax single tuner pvr but took it back because of bad whites when on rgb, then ive tried the digifusion, but the graphics are so over the top that you cant read the words properly, also i found that unit difficult to use, very bad remote control design! also i found it kept wanting to go to 4:3 zoom mode when calling up the epg, so the top and bottom were off the screen.
    then i tried a Bush PVR only to find that it was the same as the digifusion, just in a completely different case, i tryed another Humax just incase the first one was faulty but the second one was just as bad also i came to realise that two tuners are essential for reserving programs, ive often reserved programs on different channels but on the same time, so i took the Humax back! Then i found the Topfield 5800 and finnally ive got a pvr that im planning to keep, its the best one ive yet seen, the inverto sounds good too but it hasnt got a usb output and its ugly in my oppinion. this brings me back to my question of why are there so few to choose from?

2. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont know why i have looked around and in the end settled for a toppy which is a great bit of kit you would think with goverment pushing dig tv there would be more choice

3. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    plus there is a firmware update due for the topfield by may 10
    :) :)

4. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It amazes me that punters are still buying 80 quid STB - when for another 40 quid or so, they could invest in a PVR, with all the added benefits

5. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    i have been looking at these devices and agree its very poor choice and even availability - i have been looking at the humax, panasonic twin tuners etc etc but this is the first time I have come across the topfield.
    Its being suggested in a few shops dixons, currys and john lewis that i should consider a version with a card slot and that reduces a small choice to almost one choice.

searching google one site states no card slot another says there is - so now well confused

6. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The topfield has twin tuners AND a slot for 'top up TV' (via a CAM) - ATM you can only buy in via mail order (unbeatable/Turbostat and a few others)

7. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    sorry what does that all mean a real newbie sorry

8. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a looks at:

http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/

it compares all the current (and a couple of "near future") twin tuner PVRs. There is quite a few to choose form with more turning up such as the Sagem that's just started to sell at Argos

However the reason the choice islimited is because, as yet, the market isn't very big. I think John Norton from Inverto said it's currently something like just 3,000 units per month.

If you go into Dixons you'll probably see why - they are not exactly doing a hard sell on them and it's only once folks have got one that they realise what a totally radical piece of electronics a PVR is and how it can totally change your viewing (it's great never having to watch adverts though I guess ITV et al aren't too keen!)

Cliff

10. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CAM = Conditional Access Module
    ATM = At the moment

To decode encrypted digital TV (on Sky or Freeview Top up TV) the encoded stream of pictures is sent first through a CI (Common (across Europe) Interface) connection to a Conditional Access Module which is some elecrtonics with a smart card slot. The smart card has decryption keys that can then unmuddle the video that then goes back into the box and is treated just like a "normal" stream of unendcoded video from that point on.

Cliff

11. B.W.

B.W.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be aware that this product, whilst a twin tuner, cannot record 2 channels simultaneously....only watch one and record another.

12. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Brava...Hi any idea what the May 10th firmware update features are ? thanks.

13. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    well i went out to kingston-upon-thames today with a viw to buy a freeview and DVD recorder with about £600 in my pocket... and what a waste of time - you are so right about choice - they have just not reached the market yet.
    I had the choice of two freeview boxes with harddrive - the panasonic tucth100 @ £280 and the Humax @ £169 - I'm sort of convinced i need the two tuners, but neither are topTV compatable {no cam} and so i ended up with nothing - as I wanted to see also see the Topfield TF5800T and the Sagem's, The comments from Bentalls, johnlewis, sevenoaks sound&vision & dixons was they are releasing more in the summer and will be combining with DVD-writers etc.....

14. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
  15. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    apparently it will fix "known bugs" they are also adding a bookmark facility
    thats all i know at the moment

Gary

16. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Etaf thats a cable or satelite box. It will not receive Digital Terrestial TV. The current DTT PVR's are by Thompson; Digifusion; Panasonic; Topfield; and Humax. see here

The only advantage (currently) of having a CAM (a card slot) on a DTT box is that it enables you to get TopUP TV. There may be other pay services on DTT in the future but I would not count on it. The Topfield is the only PVR with a working CAM.
    Richard

17. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    thanks - i thought it said the tuners where satalite or changed for cable/terresterial
    TV and assumed terresterial was via aerial - my mistake

18. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    No my mistake actually; :oops: I had only looked at the description at the top; later on it seems this will come with the option of a DTT tuner (which does get the signal from an aerial). Sorry; but I have never heard of this one and I thought I knew about all the options out there.
    In fact this does not seem to be on the market yet and after a quick search I found references to it going back nearly a year so there could be a wait involved.
    Richard

19. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    not on market - thats a shame i thought my options where solved, PC hardrive upgrade - two tuners DVD changeable - as it also talked about blue ray - oh well - probably the same as a digital film I got all excited about a few years ago - lots of talk but nothing to buy

20. Funboy

Funboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all :hiya:

I can confirm that the ReelBox PVR 1100 will be in the UK from mid/end of May. It will be the Satellite version that hits the UK first with the Cable/Freeview tuner as an upgrade following a month or so behind as they are interchangable (must be a first) ;)

Here is the latest news link http://www.reelbox.co.uk/reelbox-news.htm

The spec on the site shows it has not been tested with TopUP TV yet but then it has not been ruled out also. ;)

21. bampsam

bampsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Why have a card slot when more quality stations are joining the Freeview platform.ie Men & Motors and E4.I ditched Sky+ for the reason I was sick of paying £10/month for the Sky+ planner.Surely the point of Freeview is that it is FREE!!Advertisers are aware that Freeview is the fastest growing digital platform and more of Top Up Tv stations will come over,and the demise of Top Up will not be far away.
    I am still more than happy with my Thomson DHD4000 which has NEVER let me down,although to be honest I do have the Inverto on order just to see what all the hype is about.If it does not match up to the Thomson it will wing its way back under the distance selling act.