Why is there no manual?

mike7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've have just managed to purchase a X-Box Series S (there are limited quantities at Smyths stores around the country if you are still looking). When it comes to any form of 'driving manual' I've drawn a blank. There are basic instructions for getting it set up on line included in the box. I had no problems with this, or accepting the offer for the introductory Games Pass. After that you are seemingly on your own.

My past gaming experiences have been on PCs, Tablets and phones. I appreciate that many people will be coming to the new models from experiences with previous versions, which will have similarities. Obviously different games will have varying control arrangements and, so far you pick up clues on this. However you would think that such a high value product, having been many years in development, will have a suitable basic 'User Guide' for customers either as a physical document or a pdf. I know there is a Q & A section built into the system but it is not always convenient to be switching from one screen to another to read it. Am I missing something, or is this usual in the life of a new Microsoft product?

I can't remember the last time I received a manual in any of my electronic purchases...

If your happy with a pdf I'm sure there are many support pages on xbox.com or Microsoft to help you along 👍

Edit, as rusty rustybin says though, anything specific you need help with?

Last edited:
I understand the sentiment, but these days I find it easier to ask Google the question and be given the exact answer for stuff like this.

What are you trying to do?

I know you can Google everything and that MS have a 'help' facility which is mainly a Q&A section but a explanation about what all the buttons and toggles on the controller are for would be a help for a novice. One diagram is not a lot to ask. I appreciate that many people simply throw away manuals with the packaging, but some of us still read them. It's quite often on this Forum that basic questions are met with 'RTFM'. Often quite a reasonable response I feel. To sell a product that is either "£250 or over £500 and give no explanation how to operate it is pretty shoddy. I'm almost led to believe that to be a 'gamer' you are entering a sort of secret society.

I think with a lot of electronics these days they’re fairly intuitive so they don’t tend to include instructions.

I think with a lot of electronics these days they’re fairly intuitive so they don’t tend to include instructions.
If that were true most of the content on this Forum would not need to exist.

I managed to find, eventually, on the net, an illustrated representation of the controller layout and a vague explanation of the various functions to which the buttons could be assigned. This came from Microsoft BTW. I clearly have a lot of guesswork to do to enable me to get the best out of my purchase.

Is this your first ever console purchase?

If that were true most of the content on this Forum would not need to exist.

I managed to find, eventually, on the net, an illustrated representation of the controller layout and a vague explanation of the various functions to which the buttons could be assigned. This came from Microsoft BTW. I clearly have a lot of guesswork to do to enable me to get the best out of my purchase.

Most of the buttons and triggers are only really used whilst playing games and most game intro’s explain this when you first load up the game.

You only really need to look around the home page and menus by clicking the D pad or left joy stick to the right/left/up/down and then press A to open the App or Icon etc. (Then just press B to exit back out)
The Xbox logo home button gives quick access to Xbox live services and other stuff.

Every console I’ve ever had has always been simply a case of A/B buttons and joy stick movement to find your way around. You can’t really go wrong, as you have to go through quite a few hoops to delete stuff etc.

Also bear in mind that this all gets updated now and then with a new (not always improved0 home screen layout that everyone has to get used to :)

Out of interest, what instruction book did you get with your last phone/laptop/PC ?

Is this your first ever console purchase?
Yes
As long as you can plug it in its pretty hold your hands set up isn’t it
Yes again. I never said I had any difficulty setting it up. Following the on-screen instructions was straightforward. I already had a Microsoft account so that made things easier.

"Out of interest, what instruction book did you get with your last phone/laptop/PC ?"

Admittedly very little, but then I've had a lifetime of use of most of these items. My phone has Q&A pages on it which is easy to locate from the menu. So does the X Box, but if you are not told which buttons to search for the menus and open the documents how are you expected to find them? Simple I know, but fundamental. I worked in the electronics industry long enough to know that the best place to start was to assume that the customer knew nothing, and work from there.

On the other hand when I bought my current car last year I received a 500+ page handbook, in English only, although I've got a pretty good idea how to drive a car. Still there were hidden features which I was not familiar with so it was worth a few minutes of my time.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom