why is the picture on virgin so poor? compared to even basic sky

herosrule

Every year we seem to switch from sky to virgin and vice verse (don't ask why the missis does this every time we have a dispute with them). we have had sky, sky HD and virgin media. were currently with virgin and the one thing I always notice right away is how poor the picture is on virgin compared to sky even compared to the basic sky box!. I always set up boxes to RGB and 16:9 and my tv is set up as correctly as I know how, but virgin always comes in a poor 3rd.

Is this is it the boxes or is it at there end? I have a suspition that may be a black level thing but im cant be sure about that one.

Last edited:

Harj

Virgins SD picture is vastly superor to Sky's SD. Seen this on mine and few other ppls, I suggest its either your box or something with signal on the fibre coming into the box.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Agree with Harj, except that iot's not fibre to the Virgin box - wish it was.
It's normally fibre to the street cabinet and then coaxial cable (usually twinned with a phone line as a "siamese cable") to the domestic dwelling and settop box.
That's why I consider some of Virgin's marketing and advertising campaigns are misleading - overemphasising the fibre part (though the same misleading of the public happens with so-called "LED TVs" which are in fact LCD TVs, simply with a LED instead of CFL backlight).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
At most its usually only 50 metres or less to the fibre optic and then its screened coax to your kit. Consequently I get 20MB broadband reliably whereas the best my neighbour has been able to do from any other provider via the unscreened copper wires that any other service comes over at approx 8000 metres from the exchange is 1.2 MB.

I also get phenomenal SD TV on cable via V+ far better than any SD I have seen on Sky+ or SKY+ HD

Herosrule please detail your VM box, its settings, the connection from the box to your TV, the model of your TV and the seetings on the TV for the input you are using for the cable box input.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
I have to admit that 20 Mbps sustained is pretty darned good - as good as if not better than VDSL (which AFAIK isn't available in UK except for 1 or 2 trials).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

herosrule

Its a samsung SMT-21100C witch is conected via scart (branded cable) to my samsung LE32A457 the vbox is set to RGB. TV out from the v box and AV1 in to the TV.

and my tv is set to warm2, 80 contrast, 50 brightness,20 sharpness, no image enhancements besides low black adjust.
mind you I`ve heard the the V+ box is very good so im gona work on persuding the misiss to let me buy one at some point but im gona get my amp and speakers sorted first.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Its a samsung SMT-21100C witch is conected via scart (branded cable) to my samsung LE32A457 the vbox is set to RGB. TV out from the v box and AV1 in to the TV.

and my tv is set to warm2, 80 contrast, 50 brightness,20 sharpness, no image enhancements besides low black adjust.
mind you I`ve heard the the V+ box is very good so im gona work on persuding the misiss to let me buy one at some point but im gona get my amp and speakers sorted first.

Forget your amp and speakers, get your video sorted first. Nobody "buys" a V+ box its just increased rental or pay up front and then no rental for contract term.. The charge they make is installation. Since this is just unplug your standard digibox and plug this in then push them to do this for free on basis that you will be paying more long term.

SD via a V+ is incredible c/w SD via freeview/freesat/ sky+ (inc Sky+HD)/BTVision etc.

Agree with Harj, except that iot's not fibre to the Virgin box - wish it was.
It's normally fibre to the street cabinet and then coaxial cable (usually twinned with a phone line as a "siamese cable") to the domestic dwelling and settop box.
Surely it shouldn't make a difference either way? As long as the decoder gets enough of the signal to produce a watchable picture at all, you're getting as good an image as you ever will.

Av Master

Standard Member
I have just taken out a package with virgin media i got the standard virgin boc which is set to rgb and widescreen, using a scart from the box to my samsung le32b530 and i have to say the picture quality is spot on, i have no problems with it so i think t may be either your tv or the box itself.
I have their internet to and i took out the 10mb and im getting according to speedchecker 9.8mb at the farest point away from my wireless router. all in all im very happy with their service, give em a ring and see if they can help you it may be a simple fix at those boxes either at your house or in the street.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom