Why is the Panasonic TX-26LXD500 so expensive

C

coneypark

Hi

Am looking to get a replacment for my faulty LG tv so have been looking about and reading some posts and a lot of people seem to still be saying that the Panasonic 26LXD500 is the best LCD.

What I dont get is why that model is so much more expensive than the 26LXD60 which is a newer model?

If the LXD60 is a newer model shouldn't it be more expensive?

I would check the specifications on the Panasonic website. One is not a replacement for the other and both are still listed as current models. The LXD500 has a better spec than the LXD60 and hence is more expensive. The LXD500 will eventually be replaced with the LXD600.

For example
better quality speakers (in that there are four of them - seperate woofer & tweeter - not two.)

Better specc'd teletext.

SD card input and PC MCIA input (which the D60 doesn't have)

More AV inputs (four instead of three)

More PIP / POP / PAP variations.

If previous Panasonic numbering is anything to go by, the LXD60 is a cheaper version of the 26LXD500, which in turn will be brought up to date with a release of a LXD600. Then the two will sit side by side. All through the range Panasonic have a D6x or a D6xx - the more noughts, the higher the spec.

The only uprating from the D500 to D600 will be the contrast ratio changing from 1:800 to 1:1200. Which, frankly isn't much of a change. The plasmas in the new range move from 1:8000 to 1:10000.

You can find the differences here:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx-26lxd500/index.htm

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx-26lxd60/index.htm

K

Nielo TM

Novice Member
Karma said:
The only uprating from the D500 to D600 will be the contrast ratio changing from 1:800 to 1:1200. Which, frankly isn't much of a change. The plasmas in the new range move from 1:8000 to 1:10000.

Contrast ratio means squat (click here)

C

coneypark

Thanks for the detailed reply.

So am I correct in saying that 500 model doesn't have any HDMI sockets on it? Tried the Panasonic web site and doesn't look like it does

Kazuya Mishima

Novice Member
coneypark said:
Thanks for the detailed reply.

So am I correct in saying that 500 model doesn't have any HDMI sockets on it? Tried the Panasonic web site and doesn't look like it does
I found this on the Panasonic website:

Panasonic's new VIERA LCD offers cutting edge technology and stunning picture quality, all wrapped up in a stylish, sophisticated design. The TX-26LXD500 features a high quality HD panel and VIERA Colour Management System (Panasonic's plethora of black box technology). With the announcement from BSkyB that they are planning to go live with HD broadcast in 2006, the LXD500 series fully prepares you for a new HD world, and the addition of an HDMI terminal ensures that the picture is second-to-none!
(linky)

C

coneypark

LOL

Well I couldn't have looked very far - he he.
Must be going blind.

Do people seriously rate this well over the 26LXD60 - considering the diffrence in price the diffrence in picture quality would need to be really good.

Best price I can find the TX-26LXD500 for is £675 whilst I can pick up the 26LXD60 for £549 through Dixons with a discount code.

Is it really that much better? And as a side note -does the 26LXD500 have the same remote control as the 26LXD60?

Thanks for your help

AgentCool

Novice Member
Having owned the 26LXD500 for 6 months I can say with full confidence that it's a stunning TV. Before I got it I had the Samsung 26R41 which, though £300 less at the time, was unquestionably an inferior set in every respect. I only got rid of that as it was faulty but I'm glad it was because the LXD500 is so much better.

I paid £1000 for mine so £675 is a steal.

C

coneypark

Thanks for that - it's really helpful to hear from someone who owned an LCD before they got the 26LXD500 and still noticed a big diffrence in quality.

I think this one is at the top of my shorlist now - it's just a shame it's the most expensive :D

So thats me down too:-

Panasonic TX-26LXD500

JVC LT-26DX7

Sony KDL-26S2010

Decisions decisions decisions ......

coneypark said:
Decisions decisions decisions ......
Yeah, but isn't that half the fun! I think find the research and anticipation is half the fun. A bit like waiting for Christmas.

Good hunting. Enjoy whatever it is you chose. And let us know your decision.

Cheers

K

C

coneypark

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Got a couple more questions for thoose in the know ;)

Does the Panasonic TX-26LXD60 use the same panel technology as the 32LXD60?
Reason I am asking is that Trusted Reviews did a review of the 32" model and were really impressed.

Does the Panasonic TX-26LXD500 have it's speakers on the side of it or underneath the screen?
If it's on the side then I will need to rule it out as it wont fit in the space I have.

I am going off the Sony now - my cousin got the 32" version which I beleive has a better panel then the 26" and I cant say I thought it was anything amazing to be honest. Haven't ruled it out though.

Thanks again

S

shirtee

I don't know about the panel but I do know that the speakers are on the sides. It's actually pretty wide for a 26"er

C

coneypark

Well that will rule it out then. Just showed the other half the sets I am looking at and that has helped as two of them are a no go as they look ugly apparently:thumbsdow

So the two that are left are the

Panasonic TX-26LXD60

JVC LT-26DX7

Because Dixons have the Panny back in stock and I can get it for £549 then I am going to order it and see if I like it and if not I can get them to take it back and order the JVC.

Thanks for all your help guys.

C

cinebuff

Thanks for the information but Im still undecided.

Will the TX-26LXD600 really have little improvement of any significance over the LXD500? Is it worth waiting for? I thought it was due out in August?

At the moment I'm torn between the LXD500 which is now available under £650 or the LXD60 but that evidently has an inferior sound quality.The LXD600 will probably be around £1K cheapest at first so is the 500 the best decision?

I'm not interested in PC connections, just in recording films, so I'm buying a DMR-EX75EB as well. Anyone have any hard opinions on this?

I'd be grateful for all the help I can get!

C

cinebuff

It was at Jack-in-the-Box, through the Pricerunner website. But they've all gone now so I bought one at 123electricals4me at £725. Still a good price. So that's me fixed for a few years....

S

shirtee

cinebuff said:
Thanks for the information but Im still undecided.

Will the TX-26LXD600 really have little improvement of any significance over the LXD500? Is it worth waiting for? I thought it was due out in August?

At the moment I'm torn between the LXD500 which is now available under £650 or the LXD60 but that evidently has an inferior sound quality.The LXD600 will probably be around £1K cheapest at first so is the 500 the best decision?

I'm not interested in PC connections, just in recording films, so I'm buying a DMR-EX75EB as well. Anyone have any hard opinions on this?

I'd be grateful for all the help I can get!
The 600 is now on the Panasonic website, seems they've just added another HDMI and upped the screen with new techs.
I got my 26lxd500 form JL last Saturday for £699 with 5 year warranty if that helps, it was the Oxford Street branch.
They're quoting the 32" 600 on RGBDirect for £1389 or something so you're probably right that the 26 will be about a grand.
If it helps I absolutely love mine. Straight out of the box the picture looks fantastic.
I love reading this forum and seeing all the different threads needing helping with the settings of different screens, turn this up turn that down, this needs to be on, this off. Forget it, get the 500 and just turn it on, no settings need changed!!
:thumbsup:

stanleyntl

Novice Member
shirtee said:
The 600 is now on the Panasonic website, seems they've just added another HDMI and upped the screen with new techs.

Is the picture the same as the lxd60? How good is the sound? (v.lame on the lxd60) ; how many watts/channel, the US model has 20w/channel compared to 10w/channel on the UK lxd500?

What is IPS technology? did the lxd60 have this?

chocky909

Novice Member
Now I've latched onto this Panny 26LXD500 after shortlisting either a Sony 26S2010 or a JVC LT-26DX7.

Now I would definately go for a Sony or JVC over a LXD60 from the reports on here but it's sounds like the 500 is the best for watching SD signals. Is that right as I'll mostly be using Sky, Freeview, Xbox, PS2 and DVD. I'll still be keen to use my PC for HD content and an XBox360 is on the cards as soon as the price drops come.

Just checking that the 26LXD500 has all the features I require. Component input, HDMI, VGA PC input. Good PiP feature as well. I wonder what the downside is of purchasing an slightly aging LCD. Anyone?

Number one question, does this set have an adjustable backlight as I've been told this is an important setting on LCDs.

Also, noticed that Jack In The Box seem to be advertising this set as available at £640 inc vat+del despite the earlier post. This would bring the set in at the same price range as the Sony and the JVC.

So, assuming these three are the same price and are all available, is the Panny the one to go for?

D

D.gc2002

3 Scarts, component, D sub. Had mine just over 2 weeks and think it is fantastic. Even with the lights off the picture is stunning. Showed a few people Fifth Element Superbit DVD via component and saw more detail than ever before. Got mine from JL for £699 with free delivery and 5 year g'tee.