why is the Pace Twin guide so useless

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by pr1uk, Sep 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The title says it all really "why is the Pace Twin guide so useless" i have just upgraded to the newest software and the guide as not changed still useless. I own a Humax as well as the pace and you can turn it on and off whatever but press the guide button and you get the guide. Now on the same aerial press the pace guide go and make a coffee and some supper and it will almost have loaded but heavens forbid you turn it off as all is lost and you have to start again. I thought the pace was very good but even after all these upgrades i have to say in my opinion its not very good at all no end of problems and not even a usable guide.

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    MAybe something to do with the quality of your signal? I have the Pace Twin and the guide is instantenous. Except I sometimes have to wait a few seconds for Channel 5.

Incidently, I've found that calling up the guide from the first teletext channel (channel 9 I think) brings up the guide even quicker and more completely.

3. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i get 60% signal and tried channel 9 but not any faster that i could see, and the Humax is instant on the same aerial. Pace as had emough upgrades to sort this problem out by now and i still cannot see what good a weeks guide is if you have to read a book to give it time to load.
    I am glad your works Ok for you

4. Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pace Twin rubbish when released still pretty rubbish now

Humax better buy 8000T 80gb 180 quid

5. tbanks

tbanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not had the pleasure of a Pace twin, but my PACE NTL cable STB is dead slow, and the picture is soft with poor colour saturation.

However I have the Humax 8000T PVR and it is the most usefull bit of kit I have ever bought, excellent picture, easy to use, very quick at everything, channel changing is as fast as an analogue tuner, and customer support is excellent for a domestic product manufacturer.

I just bought a Panasonic E55 DVD recorder so I can archive Humax recordings, and can't see why I would ever use it for time shifting, after using the Humax box.

TimBo :thumbsup:

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Pace Twin is very good, EPG is now usefull

7. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EPG is usefull as long as you dont mind washing up waiting for it to load, after all the software updates you would have thought Pace would have loaded the guide into memory. My Pace is now in the PC room and has been replaced by the Humax (instant guide even after being turned off) plus a Thomson (the small thin one) freeview box as second tuner. Without a second tuner i think you would miss a Pace after using one.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My twin is instant, it must be your signal/aerial that disagrees with the twin. Yes if you turn it off it all has to reload, but 30 secs at most after the plug has been pulled is the worst case. Bitching about twins has got somehow fashionable, other bits of kit have problems too, this pace twin stuff is blown out of all proportion.

9. fixerman

fixerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have had a twin for over a year now and am really impressed with the versatility. OK it is not without problems but Pace have been gradually putting things right with the various upgrades. I have a Pioneer Freeview receiver and it is not upgradeable to the new 7day EPG.

We should not lose sight of the fact that Digital PVRs are cutting edge technology and are bound to have teething problems. If thsi is a problem for the carpers they should wait 5 years for all problems to be resolved or settle for their old VHS!!!!!!!!!