1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the NTSC playback on XBOX jerky?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by english_bob, Mar 18, 2002.

1. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Basically, ...on my PAL XBOX machine when I playback (mostly) FULLSCREEN NTSC DVD's it jerks (jumps) like mad!, leaving around 1 in 4 frames of image missing

Can anyone else test ???, otherwise I think I've got a dud!

Everything else is fine

PAL Full and Widescreen R2 OKAY no problems

NTSC Widescreen OKAY on some on Region ALL

NTSC FULLSCREEN is awful!!!! - Region ALL

I have been testing it mostly using Criterion Collection disks, such as Sparticus, Beastie Boys collection etc. But i have quite a few others, a few Troma releases, all the same in full screen NTSC.

For example, Criterion's Sparticus disk one, the Widescreen movie plays fine, maybe due to its 2:35:1 ratio
    Disk 2 which is mostly full screen, jerks badly. Ditto the Beastie Boys and just about every other Region ALL NTSC disk (and no, not nessicarily Criterion disks either)

This is very similar to the HALO jerking when PAL60 is selected in the dashboard.

I have tried every option in the dash to no avail!

Im getting worried now, because this is very similar fault to the HALO PAL60 do-da, and seeing as everyone is reporting that, I've got a feeling that this may be widespread...if so, what a **** UP!

Steve - I know you da man for DVD's.......

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards

EB

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed this aswell.

The solution was an Advanced RGB scart lead. Now Halo runs smooth as silk in Pal 60.

Dont ask me why or how but it looks gorgeous.

3. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    er.....

i have the advanced scart - in fact i've had it from day one and my Copy of Halo still runs jerky when the dash is set to 60. Check for another thread in this forum. Basically some games cant handle the setting, whereas others like doa3 are fine with it.

can't help regarding dvd though, i haven't even tried one yet.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is weird cause mine is as smooth as silk.

My settings are wdiescreen - the tv detects is automatically - dolby digital and Pal 60.

Looks totally awesome and yet with a standard scart it was jerky as hell.

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    my XBOX is also set to widescreen - BUT, my TV (sony fq75) is set to auto detect the screen format. Halo of course is not widescreen so the tv sets itself to 4:3. Why is you tv going to widescreen on a game that is not so?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dunno - but when the game starts my tv says Widescreen - maybe its a zoomed 4:3 but it is full screen and not 4:3

theres obviously something wrong if you are getting jerky playback and I am getting smooth gameplay with Pal60