Why is the HDR Game Mode on the B7 so bad and dim or dark?

caramelgoodness

Novice Member
Reaction score
I know know, I am due for an upgrade and read that this issue has been fixed with the latest models but my god I can’t even use my PS5/SeriesX to its full potential and can’t experience HDR gaming until I upgrade this model.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to upgrade the dark, dim washed out HDR Game Mode that’s on this model?

I have tried to switch to PC mode and that seemed a bit better and helped but it was still very dark and washed out.

I also tried Dynamic Contrast on high and medium.

Also tried using Standard HDR picture with PC input but I experience noticeable input lag. (Looks great and bright though)

Anyone have a temporary fix to this issue I possibly upgrade to a C1/2 in the next year or so?

The problem with the 7 series was that LG's tone mapping algorithm tracked only max MDL and not CCL in HDR data, this miss-match causes the dim HDR. This was corrected from the 8 series onwards.

The active HDR dynamic contrast on low was a partial fix but only worked in cinema mode and not game mode on 7 series.

Someone came up with a workaround but its complicated and requires a HDFury device that you program with custom HDR profile that acts as a middle man between game console and TV, but you will have to dig through the 7 series thread in LG sub forum to find the posts as it was years ago.

These are some settings I had written down for my 7 series, but they might not do much for you.
  • 100 OLED light
  • 80 contrast
  • 50 brightness
  • 10 sharpness
  • 50 colour
  • W45 temp
  • energy saving = off
  • black level = low
  • dynamic contrast = low - optional and does not engage active HDR, just shifts gamma a bit to make it a little brighter.

console side
  • on Playstation set RGB range to Low/limited, don't leave it on auto.
  • Run HDR calibration for both consoles and when setting dark/black value be sure to set it as low as it will go in slider.
  • However not all games obey the calibration so will still have to configured manually if they offer HDR controls and you will have to configure each game separately

One other option is dont use HDR, just stick to SDR until you replace the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom