1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why is the 6800 so damn expensive?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by watchinthewheel, Sep 6, 2005.

1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im stummped i have been searching for a new gpu for gaming (mostly the elder scrolls 4 when it comes out) and looking at benchmark for current graphics cards like this the radeon x8-- series trash the nvidea 6800's but the nvidea card are still more expensive! i dont get it, is there something im missing or are nvidea just majorly overpriced?

also im looking for a new card and im torn between the x800xt the x800xl and the x850xt i want to spend as little as possible but still get good performance and those are the ones that fit into my price range is it worth paying more and getting the x8500xt or will the other be just as good, i cant really judge by the 3dmark/aquamark results because they dont relate directly to a figure i can understand like fps, i mean does a couple of hundred points in 3dmark mean 1fps more or 30fps more?

and last but not least i have to say how great this forum is, im sick of forums that go along the lines of l\/lY GPU Pwnzez urs cos it is da 1337 this is about the only place you can get a mature and sensible answer without some 10 year old going well my daddy bought me a brand new 7800gtx and so im not going to talk to you cos ur poor! [/rant] so all give yourselves a pat on the back for that :thumbsup:

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    In a word? SLI. While that comparison gave ATI a benchmark advantage (never that good an indication of real performance as you can 'optimise' the drivers) Nvidia have the advantage because they have made cards that can be paired. And that is ignoring 7800GTX's which I belive are the Daddy right now (sorry, got to use the occasional hip word!) Fashion dictates someone will always have an advantage in sales (this time last year it was ATI) and experience has shown that that advantage is usually down to a minute superiority in perceived performance or a technological difference that allows one side to claim an advantage. People actually advise buying an SLI board and single Nvidia card with a view to a future upgrade. The premise was eventually the price would drop and you could get a sizeable performance increase for not a lot of extra cash. Problem is, it's keeping the prices high!

3. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    what is your budget ?

Overclockers are doing a special on an xl800 xt PE or something for about £190 which is a very good buy. Beats the 6800 GT.

and don't worry i've only got a 9800 pro and i paid for it myself :)

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well my budget will be about £200 but if there is a major benifit in spending a bit more i could probably get up to £250 it would have to be something quite special though.

any idea how long that overclockers offer will be up for? thats a really good price even ebay didnt have them for under 200 and that wasnt even the pe.

i know that the 7800gtx is the best card money can buy atm but the price is ridiculous, when i said ati seemed better i emant in the reasonable price range that most people will buy.

there is no way i could take advantage of sli so taht isnt an issue, that means for me that radeon is the way to go, the only other concern i had about nvidea vs radeon was the use of shader 3.0 nvideas 6800s support it and the radeons dont is it worthj paying the extra for it? or will it be another of those faetures that make the card sound good on paper but in reality is pretty useless?

the more i learn about the different cards themore confused i get!

5. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    overclockers normally change their offers thrusday night so i guess you have a day to think it over. Believe it is a very good offer, oh btw its AGP.

just double checked, the reason you are getting a new gfx is b/c ofa game that is coming out ??

if that's the case why not wait til it is released as obviously there will be better cards then, ATI's next gen card should be out soonish.

i haven't kept up to date with new computers bits unfortunately too busy trying to sort out buying a house :p

6. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shame the offer ends thursday, im getting paid in a couple of weeks hqave to wait till then. Its an amazing offer though if i had the cash i would have it in a second!

the game is coming out in november and the new cards will cost a lot wont they? i cant spend much more than 200 so is there much point waiting? i havent really been paying attention to the prices of new card i ten to think of upgrading a while into their cycle, whats the usual release price? would it be worth getting a newer card but a midrage or a slightly older top range one? will the chipset jump mean that much?

oh and i forgot i only have agp and cant afford the upgrade to pci-e yet so the nvidea card that are pci only arent an option.

good luck buying a house btw ;)

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    You might be able to pick up a 850XT PE for below 250quid if you check out ebay. I picked up one from the classifieds on here for about that ( agp version). Great card very quiet ...now watercooled anyway.

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    7800 GT is around £250ish although its pci-e only i believe.

9. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep it is pcie only i havent found any that cheap though most i saw, even on ebay were about 300

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=96312

There are a few around this price on ebuyer and they are all build around the stock board anyway so the only difference between brands is usualy the games bundle.

The 7800GT is close to the GTX in performance and obviously demolishes the 6800 series cards, for the extra few quid over a 6800GT its certainly worth it. As a bonus the fan runs super quiet and only takes up one bay.

11. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    No 7800 cards for AGP slots though...... :mad: :(

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I'm supprised they haven't brought out one with a bridging chip, although maybe they are thinking that the cpu would be the bottleneck. More likey they will release one the same time as ati's new card. So if ATI's new baby is pci-e only then nvidia will b e wining on another from.

Nvidia are probably trying to get rid of the millions of 6800 and 6600 that they have in stock too.

13. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Does that mean imminent price drops?

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Doubt it, the top end stuff usualy keeps its price for some reason. For example you can still pay through the nose for gefore fx series cards and the 9800 xt 256mb was still super expensive the last time i looked.

Your better of going for the mid range the current generation as it will last longer and give the best bang for the quid. Thats only if you can afford it though, otherwise wait until the 7600 series or what ever they will call it comes out.

15. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so the overall reccomendation would be? remember i dont have pci-e so it has to be agp, should i go for the x850xt pe is the price justified over the slightly lower spec ati cards like the x800's?

16. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Get an x800XT or XL there £200 on overclockers.co.uk

17. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    id there not that big a leap between them and the x850's?

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Last i read the x800xl (or 850 xl) are the best bang for buck cards in that generation, between the pro and xt i think.

19. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was looking at the 800xl but most places are selling the xt for the same price and they outperform the xl's so i figure i may as well got the xt.

im still no closer to deciding what card to get though, ill probably bend up with the most expensive i can afford, probably a x800 xt pe or a x850 xt unless there is a specific card someone reccomends as a really good buy?

20. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    on overclockers.co.uk there is in asus X800XT on special offer, £160+VAT, get on of those...