Why is that that amp. manufacturers don't fully cater for multiple screen owners?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pc99, Sep 5, 2007.

1. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why is it that all these new ranges of integrated av amps. with all the latest connections and upscaling, never really cater for the user with both a projector and TV in the same room.

By that I mean why don't they all have 2 component outs, and 2 hdmi outputs.

Instead having just bought your shiny new amp. you need to fork out more money on some form of video distribution amp.

I currently run with component and have a Denon 2805 and had to buy a Js tech component buffer to split the component signal to my projector and tv.

I'm thinking of upgrading a number of components to hdmi, but even if I bought the latest amp. only the very highest spec. (and price) Denon 4308 has 2 hdmi outputs.

And a distribution amp. for hdmi is currently around the £80 mark, with some people trying to charge £150.

Surely it can't cost that much to add a second set of outputs to the lower spec. amps.

2. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Afternoon

Worth considering he Onkyo 905 which has 2 HDMI outputs which I will be using to drive a plasma and a projector at home. If you need one as an HDMI output and one as a component there are HDMI - component converters.

I guess the manufacturers cannot cost effectively add 2 outputs into the lower priced amps.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

3. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Have you found a simple way of selecting which HDMI output is in use? It seems from other forums that only 1 HDMI output works at any time and there is not a button on the remote to make the change. You either have to go into settings via the OSD or use a button under the flap on the front panel of the amp itself, not so useful when you keep your kit hidden in a central cupboard like I do!

4. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Also I beleive the Marantz Sr8001 has 2 HDMI outputs...

5. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Spot on, it is one of the reasons that attracted me to the 905 as it meant I could have my TV and Projector connected to the amp. I too find it hard to believe that so few others (below their top model) do this. Or perhaps it is to just try and get a few more people to reach/stretch for the more expensive one.....

6. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    What's wrong with a £20 2-port HDMI switcher? You can even get ones with remote controls if you're really that desperate not to get up.

7. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    If I've paid £1400 for an amp that advertises 2 HDMI outputs then I would have expected that they either make both output simultaneously or make it IR controllable without having to go onto the OSD setup. Maybe there is a discrete IR code that could be used with a Pronto or Harmony remote. Maybe OnkyoUK will be able to answer that for me.

8. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I did read somewhere that there were discrete codes for the harmony available for switching outputs, if I find it I send it to you.

As for the £20 switch, that is an option, of course, I think what people are moaning about however is that most £1000 and below amps DON'T provide this facility for the sake of probably less than £1's components

9. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like I've opened a can of worms.

I certainly think the Onkyo not having both outputs enabled is a poor show.

I'm sure the reason isn't actual cost but simply perceived value. But I can't see myself spending much more than £600 on a replacement amp.

I wish amps. were more modular so you could choose which inputs and outputs you want. I remember many years ago wanting more than 2 optical digital inputs and again that not being available at the time on an affordable amp.

For example these days I personally don't use S-Video or composite at all, but would like lots of component and HDMI inputs instead.

onkeh. I don't think an hdmi switcher is suitable. That would work for an input but I don't think it would work for an output (ie I don't think HDMI is bidirectional - but please correct me if I'm wrong).

10. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Afternoon

I can certainly surmise why only one output is active as you could have two different display devices at different resolutions. The scaler will decide which output is active and through the handshake will ensure the optimum resolution is displayed on that particular device.

In terms of control of the outputs just spoken to Mark from Onkyo and he has already requested the IR codes from the engineers so selection can be made from some programmable remotes.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

11. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I'm not sure that only being able to use one at a time is that big a deal, as the probability is that people with a tv and projector would have them in the same room so wouldn't ever want both on at the same time. Alough that may just be my particular paradigm, as that how I envisage using it :smashin: