Why is Steam such a pain?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Mr.D, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    Thought I better get round to using my HL2 voucher sop I signed up for steam in the recommended manner only to find that it didn't matter anyway as I already have HL and Opposing Forces and Steam automatically logged me on with their keycode and didn't give me the option of using the voucher one.

So I go through the rigmarole of downloading all the HL games and steam converting them to a steam type format.

Now I find not one of them will [play on my machine. They load up to a certain point : some of them make iot to the server search screen and hang when I try to connect. Some just hang on the loading screen. Some I can kill with the task manager , some I can't and have to reboot. Firewall on or off didn't make any difference.

Drove me nuts and wasted a lot of time. I finished up playing FarCry online instead which worked perfectly.

any ideas?

2. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It sounds really unlucky the problems you've encountered. I moved over to steam a couple of months ago and so far have had none of the problems you or it seems a great many people have had. The Steam installer found my copy of Halflife and transfered DOD and CS fine.
    A real pain if it didn't work would be to uninstall all your Steam and Halflife progs and start from scratch but that's all i can think of to sort your problem.
    Maybe someone else can suggest a less drastic option?

Good luck anyway.

Panic

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    You can download various updates to CS and other valve products over various P2P programmes, such as Kazaa lite and bit torrent.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    Well I uninstalled everything , reinstalled it all again ensuring my firewall and anti-virus was off. Made sure my router had opened all the relevant ports.

After the hours it took to redownload everything and then sit there like a dummy as it loads new maps everytime you play a different game. I managed one 10 minute session of team fortress. Then I got kicked after the round finished and it never worked again. I got into ricochet which looks like pants but none of the other players were there and it crashed after 2 mins.Every game just hangs. I can't even play the single player versions of HL and OF. ( which I've had installed previously on the machine off cd and they worked fine for years.

Absolute garbage!

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well now i'm really stumped. I've reinstalled Halflife a few times after a system re-install and Steam once with no problems other than having to reload all my customs maps again.
    I can only think of a conflict with another programme but no idea sorry how to find that out.

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Could be a software conflict.
    Does Event Viewer show anything?
    Could try a search in Google for the problem?

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    Tried this again today. Verified that all the games had finished downloading. Ran HL found a server ( it was empty) and logged into it. Worked fine!

Didn't change a thing!

Hopefully all the other games will also now work.

( Still probably spend more time in Far Cry though)