Why is Sky Three having a free weekend pass?

pinnocchio

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is Sky three coming off Freeview?

Also interesting that no one else has even commented while it's been running.

Regards

We can only hope it's coming off Freeview!

Does it ever show anything remotely worth watching?

Is Sky three coming off Freeview?

Also interesting that no one else has even commented while it's been running.

Regards

Nothing has been announced although the presence of a PAY product using SKY's DTT bandwidth is always in the background but right now with the shake up of SKY1 and the arrival of Atlantic plus closures there is a lot of content SKY need to promote and SKY3 is on Freeview which has a huge reach so why not have another marketing prompted free pass weekend after all SKY do tend to buy the complete rights packages these days.

If nothing else it will introduce some shows to people who can then pirate the rest of the seasons because the lineup makes a pretty decent channel even though in the real world there are millions who will simply never watch the channel regardless of what is on, they wouldn't even look.

I've not noticed anything good on Sky 3 in ages. worthless channel imo. more chance in seeing something good on ITV1:laugh:

Its probably a ''look at what your missing'' exercise...

because they need to attract as many customers before internet sourced content replaces their business model. soon you'll be able to watch whatever you want without having to pay for all **** channels you never watch.

I might as well ask. After the Virgin TV buy-out, Channel One (Virgin 1) was closed as Sky reasoned it was too similar to Sky 3. Now did I imagine them saying they would amalgamate select shows from Channel One and keep them alive on Sky 3? If I did not imagine that, then exactly what shows have they kept on?

because they need to attract as many customers before internet sourced content replaces their business model. soon you'll be able to watch whatever you want without having to pay for all **** channels you never watch.

Fine in theory but the current pricing of products like itunes which offer that sort of service will have to dramatically reduce. I really wouldn't like to guess the price of my TV viewing even at a £1 an ep and that's for content currently behind a PAY wall.

I'm pretty much sure bandwidth pricing is also going to rocket to compensate ISP's who are not directly offering their own VOD PAY content, it is not going to be all sunshine and roses, unless you steal content of course in which case legitimate business models regardless of price become irrelevant.

They have a free weekend pass every year.

does anyone know who the artist is that sings sunshine of your love in the advert for Sky Free Weekend Pass ?:lease:

Fine in theory but the current pricing of products like itunes which offer that sort of service will have to dramatically reduce. I really wouldn't like to guess the price of my TV viewing even at a £1 an ep and that's for content currently behind a PAY wall.

I'm pretty much sure bandwidth pricing is also going to rocket to compensate ISP's who are not directly offering their own VOD PAY content, it is not going to be all sunshine and roses, unless you steal content of course in which case legitimate business models regardless of price become irrelevant.

well that's one possible outcome. i rather think that the competition(the one thing sky has never had) will see a much better deal for customers. but one thing is for sure sky will have to drastically reduce its prices to compete with the many internet services that will appear.

well that's one possible outcome. i rather think that the competition(the one thing sky has never had) will see a much better deal for customers. but one thing is for sure sky will have to drastically reduce its prices to compete with the many internet services that will appear.

Well some competition is going to start coming through with YouView which will launch later this year. Although a free service much on the lines of Freeview and Freesat, there is likely to be premium pay-on-demand services that will become available, possibly film rentals and tv show box set rentals.

Sky and Virgin both tried to block YouView (previously known as Project Canvas), but Ofcom allowed it through.

As long as the competition is not based around exclusivity because at the end of the day the regulatory interference and content owners manipulation hasn't really served to open up the market infact it's just forced higher prices onto the majority of the market.
Personally I can't see it making a significant impact anytime soon, the pricing of full seasons (pre-DVD/Blu release) will soon mount up to more than a subscription service then again as we know value is highly subjective:)
Movies on the other hand are a great example of SKY not getting it all their own way with far more options for the consumer (retail, rental via highstreet & mail, streamed etc). I remember the hoopla over the 5 millionth subscriber for SKY movies but that was well before the explosion in streaming content and the only reason that service is still pretty strong is the comparatively low cost and overheads compared to the similar prices Sports package.

It will be interesting to see if over the next few years SKY and one or two others secure online rights in addition to the full broadcast packages that are taken now to protect content or deal with distributor for reduced fees thanks to the loss of exclusivity.

Of course the elephant in the room is the impact on both bundled and streamed business models as pirating gets ever easier and more widespread.

Hi,

Sky 3 regularly do Free Pass Weekends/Days, and it's basically a way to show Freeview or Freesat viewers all of the shows they could be viewing via Sky, if they had regularly access to it.

That's why this time, Sky 3 are showcasing:
- Boardwalk Empire (Season 1, Pilot Episode and Episode 2, back-to-back tonight!)
- How To Make It In America (Season 1 Pilot Episode)
- Ashes Cricket
- The Making of David Attenborough's Flying Monsters (to promote 3D TV!)
- Modern Family (Season 2, Episode 1)
- The film "Body Of Lies"
- 30 Rock (Season 5, Episode 1), and
- The Office (US Version) (Season 5, Episode 1)

It's promoting Sky Sports, Sky 3D TV, Comedy Central, National Geographic, and Sky Atlantic (which all require some kind of subscription). It's essentially a way to hook new viewers and show them what they're missing! ;) Then, when viewers realise why they can't see it normally, they may be tempted to get Sky in some form or other and dump Freeview as their main source of TV viewing.

Pooch

I know I'm "after the event", but I watched some of this out of interest.
There was nothing on there which made me question whether to get sky, so in that sense it failed. I have to admit that I don't like sky's methods anyway, so it would have been a tough sell to me. But if there'd been something spectacular on, the wife may have decided for me;)
They'd have been better off showing sky one for a weekend rather than the cobbled together mix they did show.

It never gets me to want Sky, Last year I watched 24: Redemption and this time I got 20 minutes into Boardwalk Empire and decided I didn't like it.

It never gets me to want Sky, Last year I watched 24: Redemption and this time I got 20 minutes into Boardwalk Empire and decided I didn't like it.
I have to say Boardwalk empire did nothing for me either. I really don't think a show like that is really going to grab people and tempt them to Sky.

I have to agree with lost in Space that the selection of programming is not particularly exciting. If you're lucky you'll spot a couple of things worth checking out and you're usually left thinking why did they bother? I think the idea of showing Sky One for a weekend is probably a better idea. Or perhaps Sky One one night, Sky Atlantic another and then say FX, with Sky Sports events during the daytime. Or even better do this over a week period giving more channels a chance to really show what you're missing.

The thing that amazed me was the lack of promotion for this free weekend pass. If I hadn't stumbled upon a post here on Saturday I wouldn't have been any the wiser. Whereas last year the news was out one month maybe two before the actual weekend.

They started advertising it a few weeks prior to it but only by watching something on Sky 3.

well that was some pointless promotion given that there's nothing worth watching on Sky 3 to know about this event.

Someone above mentioned the possibility of sky 3 showing programmes that were being shown on Virgin 1/Channel 1. I'd like to know if this is going to materialise making sky 3 a channel worth tuning in to ?

I think that is just speculative rumour. I haven't seen anything from Sky that is going to happen.

that's what I expected to be honest with sky killing the competition on free view .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom