Why is scart better than HDMI on simpsons

D

DBM_Bones

Just as an experiment I connected the Scart as the installer only installed the HDMI. with HD channels like stargate, which was very impressive, the HDMI cable gave a better picture, but while watching the simpsons, the HDMI input was a lot, and I mean a lot more blockier than vai scart. I was suprized it will output HD via scart.

Kit used on.

Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000.
Sony STRDA1200ES-BLK
full mission 5.1 system

Just as an experiment I connected the Scart as the installer only installed the HDMI. with HD channels like stargate, which was very impressive, the HDMI cable gave a better picture, but while watching the simpsons, the HDMI input was a lot, and I mean a lot more blockier than vai scart. I was suprized it will output HD via scart.

Kit used on.

Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000.
Sony STRDA1200ES-BLK
full mission 5.1 system

Might be because the Simpsons is broadcast in 4:3 and your TV is stretching it?

FYI, The Simpsons isn't in HD, it's upscaled to 720p/1080i. and it's not possible to see an HD picture via Scart. You're getting a picture, but it can only be in SD.

ATB

Max

It doesn't output HD over Scart, it downsamples the HD channel to SD resolution so just because it says HD in the corner doesn't make it HD being displayed.

However what you have seen is that by using scart and allowing the TV's scaler to scale the scart SD feed to its native panel resolution produces a better picture than if you let the SkyHD box do the scaling and passes that to your TV I.e. in your case your TV has a better SD scaler than the SkyHD box.

HD through scart is not possible, you're sending a 576i image which the TV then scales to its own resolution (768p most likely).

Alternative is the sky box scaling the 576i to 720p/1080i

So you've basically discovered your TV scaler is better than the sky box.

Thank you for all your help,
I knew the simpson's was not HD, I was just saying im using the SKY1 HD channel to view it, as it should have ve higher bandwidth so you should get a better SD picture than, SKY1 SD.

if I view Sky1 SD on SD channel via the HDMI is it using the Sky HD scaler or the TV scaler.

I have another look tonight on what's better.

Sky1 SD via HDMI and Scart.
and
Sky1 HF via HDMI and Scart.

the problem having a good TV is it show the problems with Sky.
but looks like I may be using the Scart 90% for the time, as only 10% of what I watch is currently HD.

If you just go to settings and set your HDMI picture to Auto it should help a lot, as it will send the true picture to your box rather than letting your HD box scale it.

Would that be the settings on the Sky HD box, rather than the settings on the TV?

if I view Sky1 SD on SD channel via the HDMI is it using the Sky HD scaler or the TV scaler.

Depends if your box is set to auto, 1080i or 720p.

If its set to auto then it will not do any upscaling, therefore watching an SD channel will mean you TV is doing the upscaling to its native res. If its set to either of the other two, then it will scale everything to that resoltion.

I'm in a similar position to you, as my TV has a better scalar. But I can't stand the delay when you switch between SD and HD channels in auto mode, so generally leave the box set to 1080i.

Thank you for all your help,
I knew the simpson's was not HD, I was just saying im using the SKY1 HD channel to view it, as it should have ve higher bandwidth so you should get a better SD picture than, SKY1 SD.

I have another look tonight on what's better.

Sky1 SD via HDMI and Scart.
and
Sky1 HF via HDMI and Scart.

the problem having a good TV is it show the problems with Sky.
but looks like I may be using the Scart 90% for the time, as only 10% of what I watch is currently HD.

Definitely agree with you.

If you can stand the hassle, view all SD from Sky HD box via Scart and use its HDMI outlet for HD only.

As you have found out its 576p output from Sky HD STB via HDMI output and 576i via Scart only.

As others have said your TV is usually a better deinterlacer than your STB (not difficult it has to be said).
This is where the damage is done. No matter what you do the 576p from your Sky HD STB is a bad starting point for upscaling.

Unless you invest in an EDGE or something else using PReP you cannot get rid of the by-products of the Sky STB deinterlacer and these artefacts are magnified when upscaled no matter how good your upscaler.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom