• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why is Samuel L Jackson so famous?

Lezman

As above, was discussing with a friend.
In our opinion he's only really considered a good actor/cool etc because of Pulp Fiction.
I liked him the Negotiator, and Jurassic Park. But that's it.

So why is he considered to be a big actor when he's in poor films?:confused:

Paulie_D

For exactly the same reason as Michael Caine.

They are both GREAT ACTORS who, occasionally, do 'poorer' (or perhaps less mainstream might be better) films to pay the bills or to satisfy their creative urges.

SLJ has been an actor for a long time (see IMDB)...just because you haven't seen him in all these doesn't mean they were 'bad'.:lesson:

social_lurker

Sam (to his friends...) is a jobbing actor - he doesnt pretend to be an artist (Daniel Day-Lewis, I'm looking at you), he acts for a living, therefore he acts in somethings that aren't as well recieved crtitically as others. I watched Black Snake Moan last night and he is excellent in that and plays very convincing blues guitar too.

Just check out his imdb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000168/
to see how much work he does, he must average about 3 films a year.

Razor

Distinguished Member
I like Samuel L Jackson. He does a lot of varied parts and doesn't stick to one type of role. :)

Marc

Distinguished Member
SLJ is a great actor, very versatile. I did a search on my DVD collection a while back, and he is the actor who appears the most of my collection, sometimes in films you wouldn't even realise he was in.. (cameo in kill bill 2 for instance)

I thought his portrayal of the frail, deranged 'arch nemesis' in Unbreakable was superb.

hoppaz

As above, was discussing with a friend.
In our opinion he's only really considered a good actor/cool etc because of Pulp Fiction.
I liked him the Negotiator, and Jurassic Park. But that's it.

He is the most commercially successful actor ever (i.e made the most money for the film makers).

Good actors can be in bad films but to be fair SJ always plays his parts brilliantly. My favourite movie with him in is probably 187.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I think he is popular for who he is, i.e. people like his persona, and for some he IS "Mr Cool". He seems pretty down to earth to me, not some plastic hollywood clone.

The worst part I saw him play was a bit part in that naff shark/jaws like movie (Deep Blue / The Deep?). Funny moment though :eek:

Lezman

Right. So it seems I'm wrong then:D

I just thoughthe was a bit...overrated I guess...maybe I should watch more films.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
The Long Kiss Goodnight is ace with Sam lifting the film a bit it is a good script however.

Liam

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I like him as a actor. He will make me watch a film I haven't seen just because he is in it. This was the case for Snakes on a Plane. It is a total stupid film and loved it. :) If SLJ wasn't in it, I probably would have ignored it.

Also, like with Morgan Freeman, I like listening to his voice.

My fav films include -

Menace to Society (my first SLJ film)
Patriot Games
True Romance
Pulp Fiction
Die Hard 3
Long Kiss Goodnight
Negotiator
Shaft
The Incredibles (voice only)

soundstory

I remember Samuel L Jackson being in a low budget film & saying that he's only be in it if
he was killed off in the first 20 mins.

I think it might be Deep Blue Sea???

Razor

Distinguished Member
I like him as a actor. He will make me watch a film I haven't seen just because he is in it.

Also, like with Morgan Freeman, I like listening to his voice.

Ditto on both accounts.

SibTiger33

why's sam famous!!

are you crazy

check out his resume on imdb

hes been in alot of top quality flicks and even the films which are not soo good he still shines (the sign of a fantastic actor)

did anyone see sam the man on Jonathan Ross??

the definition of cool!

DrPepper

Deep blue sea was made for $78 million.far from low budget.
I enjoyed Deep blue sea for want it was.

I enjoy most movies from Samuel L Jackson.For me stand out
performance is in Pulp Fiction.

Razor

Distinguished Member
I am not 100% sure but I think Snakes on a Plane was a low budget movie.

SibTiger33

Deep blue sea was made for $78 million.far from low budget.
I enjoyed Deep blue sea for want it was.

I enjoy most movies from Samuel L Jackson.For me stand out
performance is in Pulp Fiction.

hes also great in

Jackie Brown too

and

Loaded Weapon (hehe)

"but u don't have dandruff ... i know"

A time to Kill

and many more...

(i even liked the the brief scene with him in goodfellas and coming to america)

seriously - hes one of the top actors of the last 20 + years...

Lion

in my opinion he yatters away at his lines,
half the time I can't hear what he's saying. :devil:
but I do like his shark movie. :thumbsup:

Kevo

Like a lot of decent actors he's 'sold his soul' to the popcorn/action movie genre in recent years.

Others who have done likewise include Denzel Washington, Bruce Willis, Nicholas Cage etc but none of these compare to teh KING of all 'soul sellers'....Jon Voigt !! :(
Dear oh dear...is this really the the same actor Jon Voigt from the 70s who made such great films as the one we are seeing today in such drivel?

Oh well, I guess it's a sign of the times in Hollywood these days.

I liked him in Die Hard with a Vengence.. and even in 'Extras' He's cool, and looks bad. Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are his trademarks.

Couldn't watch the one where he wears a kilt however... that's just gonna throw me outa' the movie right away, like a poor accent does.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
21 replies and not a single mention of Amos and Andrew, that movie used to be practically on all VHS trailers that I rented back in my early teenage years. And now practically disappeared of the face of the Earth.

The Long Kiss Goodnight and Die Hard 3 show why Sam is the man, he can generally do a lot with very little but as Star Wars shows even he can't work a miracle.

red_flash

Samuel L Jackson

I must admit he's been in some dodgy movies in his time but as I understand it actors in jobs keep in jobs, so nobody can question his work ethic. So while he has been the busiest actor in Hollywood and I can understand him appearing in less than quality movies. Nevertheless regardless of his appearances in less than spectacular movies he's never "phoned in" his performances.

Samuel L Jackson is still is still one of the best actors of his generation much like the unappreciated Denzel Washington.

In my opinion Samuel L Jackson has never been anything other than a top-notch actor regardless of his material. In the same way that Christopher Eccleston raised the material of his season as the doctor. Great actors raise the material and Samuel L Jackson is such a quality co-star, if only his materiel would always be as great as Pulp Fiction!

BTW I'M White & if SLJ & DW were white too they'd be among the best actors of our generation, if not the best *coughs*Denzil *coughs* *ahem** * * *ahem*

Samuel L Jackson

I must admit he's been in some dodgy movies in his time but as I understand it actors in jobs keep in jobs, so nobody can question his work ethic. So while he has been the busiest actor in Hollywood and I can understand him appearing in less than quality movies. Nevertheless regardless of his appearances in less than spectacular movies he's never "phoned in" his performances.

Samuel L Jackson is still is still one of the best actors of his generation much like the unappreciated Denzel Washington.

In my opinion Samuel L Jackson has never been anything other than a top-notch actor regardless of his material. In the same way that Christopher Eccleston raised the material of his season as the doctor. Great actors raise the material and Samuel L Jackson is such a quality co-star, if only his materiel would always be as great as Pulp Fiction!

BTW I'M White & if SLJ & DW were white too they'd be among the best actors of our generation, if not the best *coughs*Denzil *coughs* *ahem** * * *ahem*

Forget the "If They Were White." (Not saying that you meant it in a bad way) Samuel L Jackson is one of the best actors of our generation. I'm sure that a lot of the industry knows that already. He just tends to like bad movies. He desperately wanted to be in Snakes On a Plane, he thought that the movie was a great idea. He likes certain things.. He likes Star Wars, and was given a poor part. Unbreakable was also a poor part. Some actors just do not know how to judge their roles from the script alone.. I suppose that they read more into a script than there is. It's possible that Jackson could have played his part in Unbreakable a bit differently. Unbreakable was a good movie.. Jackson.. maybe didn't get that one quite right.

Sandra Bullock really messed up her career with bad movies. She had a great potential.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom