1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is RGB PS2 screen smaller?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Adele, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Blaze RGB scart lead for the PS2.

Using composite, the full screen of my 4:3 21" TV is used - however, if I set it to RGB the picture size is squashed with a black band at the top and at the bottom of the screen (which makes everything look too small and hinders gameplay - Playing Final Fantasy X at the mo) - This happens whether or not I configure the screen size to "full screen" or "4:3"

Why does this happen - and is there any way to get round it?

Cheers,
    Adele.

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Grrr

Unfortunately for us, FF X was a rushed conversion so we get nasty black borders and slower speed than the Jap / US equivalent. My mate has the US import and it looks sooo much better without the black borders :(

Dave

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Final Fantasy X PAL is probably the worse NTSC to PAL port so far on the PS2... That and Devil May Cry and Capcom Vs SNK 2. All of these games are slower than the original and have huge borders. Its not the fault of your cable or PS2... Just the pure lack of effort on Square's behalf on adding a 60hz option. It's hardly going to take a year to add such an option.

Square's official statement was that they could not render the FMV for both resolutions... Fair enough in doing so it would take up an awful lot of space, but surely there wouldn't be a need to.

I'm sure John could answer this in more depth - Do we really need FMV in both 50 and 60hz?

Hell I'd take the 60hz option every time and its nice to see Sega still doing the best PAL ports around since the Dreamcast days. Now if only more companies followed suit...

4. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Poor show Squaresoft!

I think I'll stick to the big composite picture!

Cheers,
    Adele.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there may be another explanation here :

The borders on the game will be the same, regardless of the output method (RGB or composite) you use. What I think is happening, is that the RGB connection is outputting a voltage to the TV, telling it that it is a '16:9' signal, so to switch to that mode. Since you are using a 4:3 TV, the picture appears with big borders at top and bottom.

There should be an option on your TV somewhere to toggle between 4:3 and 16:9 modes. Try switching this when using the RGB connection.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best compromise would be to use a 14:9 ratio really if you want to fill the screen up. That is, if your TV supports it... The image will be zoomed in but at least you'll keep the right aspect ratio.

SquareSoft have been lacking in making decent PAL ports since they don't take this issue seriously. Only Sega does and all of their games support the 60Hz option which is a blessing. After all, we pay just as much as anyone in the world for our games, so why should we get inferior versions?

I've ranted about 60hz options on a few forums before since it does annoy me as a gamer. Thankfully though you guys have been spared ^_^