Why is Plasma cheaper than LED?

point zero

Hi,

Was wondering why LED TVs are more expensive than Plasma TVs of the same manufacturer? Even though Plasmas IMO has better picture quality.

vickster

Distinguished Member
The size of the marketing budget?

sdb123

Distinguished Member
yep...new tech means higher prices.

ArmitageShanks

Marketing must obviously work. When I tell someone that I've just ordered a plasma they look horrified and say I've bought "old technology". When I ask them what makes LED/LCD better, they can't come up with an answer other than "it's thinner"... :laugh:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Agree with the above posts, LED is miss sold as 'new' tech(my ass it is) so they can get what they want for it. They also feed off the global warming shinanagins and energy costs.:rolleyes:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Marketing must obviously work. When I tell someone that I've just ordered a plasma they look horrified and say I've bought "old technology". When I ask them what makes LED/LCD better, they can't come up with an answer other than "it's thinner"... :laugh:
:laugh::smashin: that sound familiar.

point zero

Very famillar:thumbsup:

point zero

But also better technology.:rolleyes:

If not please could someone give an example of something else where theres been a break through in terms of "Better technology" and also marketed in that way too, but in reality its not IMO.

reelist

Standard Member

If not please could someone give an example of something else where theres been a break through in terms of "Better technology" and also marketed in that way too, but in reality its not IMO.
mp3's.

theres a lot to be interpreted by the term 'better'. people looking for convenient solutions to music will prefer mp3's off itunes (of all places, itunes!). if you want the best quality sonically, you'd go for a lossless format, CDs, or even vinyl, if you're so inclined.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member

First argument is whether it IS better technology surely. Full back lit LED may be an improvement over CCFL LCD, but its still LCD, it isn't new, its marketed as such to those that also think plasma is old hat:rolleyes: Not the first time or the last that miss information is used in marketing.

If you prefer LCD then you may well think its worth the extra, from what I've seen I can get better PQ with plasma still, no matter how expensive and LED set may be. If people think they need or want something they'll pay for it.

point zero

First argument is whether it IS better technology surely. Full back lit LED may be an improvement over CCFL LCD, but its still LCD, it isn't new, its marketed as such to those that also think plasma is old hat:rolleyes: Not the first time or the last that miss information is used in marketing.

If you prefer LCD then you may well think its worth the extra, from what I've seen I can get better PQ with plasma still, no matter how expensive and LED set may be. If people think they need or want something they'll pay for it.

Excellent answer!!:smashin:

point zero

Is there any other examples of "mislead information" used for marketing for something that has been put across as BETTER to those who think its better because of the higher price tag?

I must say i usually am the type that says "You get what you pay for" But on this one i have seen it with my own eyes, that plasmas are getting just as thin as the LEDs (newer ultra slim models), but with better picture quality so do not agree with the that term on this one.

Last edited:

airmyx

Novice Member
One area I can think of is touchscreen technology...

For many typical end-user applications they are actually less ergonomic than the traditional approaches of phone keypads, computer keyboards, mice etc.

airmyx

Novice Member
As for LCDs costing more than Plasma - hasn't it always been that way?

I thought it was because it is exponentially expensive to produce LCD's above typical PC-montor sizes?

airmyx

Novice Member
Is there any other examples of "mislead information" used for marketing for something that has been put across as BETTER to those who think its better because of the higher price tag?
Apple products.

:devil:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Cables? thats got to be the biggest. £100+ for a 2m HDMI lead?
Some computer games cost may more than the quality of the game warrants(film tie-ins are the worse)

Many brand names now don't mean quality of manufacture ether. I'll not mention names:laugh:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Apple products.

:devil:
OH I just have to agree with that:laugh: My girls iphone 4 v my galaxyS. The Samsung is way easier to use, its open, has a better screen IMO and it costs me nearly 10 quid a month less on contract:rotfl:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
As for LCDs costing more than Plasma - hasn't it always been that way?

I thought it was because it is exponentially expensive to produce LCD's above typical PC-montor sizes?
Was my understanding plasmas cost more to make. retailers make a far bigger margins on LCDs than plasmas.

point zero

Thanks guys for all those great examples!!

Will keep as many in mind so when someone does ask me "Why i went for the older technology" At least ill have some good answers!!;)

Please fell free to use this thread for any related questions & answers.:smashin:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys for all those great examples!!

Will keep as many in mind so when someone does ask me "Why i went for the older technology" At least ill have some good answers!!;)

Please fell free to use this thread for any related questions & answers.:smashin:
Its realy quite simple, LCD was designed for displaying static images, plasma for motion. No extra money paid will alter that fact.:)

RenaultSport

I thought above a certain size Plasma screens were actually cheaper to make than LCD?