Why is Panasonic not calling back the 2011 Models?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by ALIEN1X, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm looking to buy a Panasonic (my first HD TV), but decided to hold back due the problems of Green blob,50hz,fluctuating brightness,other issues etc.

Do these problems occur with all models 10,15,20 and current 30 series?

Why has Panasonic not called back the TV'S, I have noted on this forum many people returning the TV's back for replacement or going for Samsung Plasma 8000 series?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. slc79

slc79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    All these models has their own sets of issues... a generic summary as far as I can tell is:

10/15 (2009s) : rising blacks, but no floating blacks or fluctuating brightness, unsure about 50Hz "bug"
    20/25 (2010s) : rising blacks (but not as rapidly rising, but in the end about the same rise on these), floating blacks, minor fluctuating brightness, 50Hz "bug"
    30 (2011s) : rising blacks not known yet, some fluctuating brightness (mostly solved), 50Hz "bug", green patches

So I do not believe for a second that the 2012s will be problem free either, but they ARE ditching their current NeoPlasma tech this time, so there might be some hope...

3. MultiRoom

MultiRoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Cost of replacement will cost Panasonic more than they stand to loose in the long run through disappointed customers.

Simple economics. Most people, except for those on this forum, won't notice the issues with their sets. In fairness, even though I am aware of the issues on my VT30, I have decided to keep it because it does offer a stunning picture and I don't really notice the issues it has unless I consciously look out for them.

4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Actually, I do think this is very true. Sometimes, it's easy to forget that the majority of Panasonic customers who buy these sets won't have a clue about the issue's and perhaps are the lucky ones (!) as they won't even notice them!

It still doesn't excuse the fact that Panasonic should NOT be getting away with things like this.... I know there's (sadly) probably no such thing as the 'perfect tv' - they all seem to have their issue's - but Panasonic Plasma's in general seemed to have more than their fair share of issue's which is now starting to get unacceptable. I speak from bitter experience with a V20 last January.... never, never will I purchase a Panasonic Plasma again.....

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    My GT30 has been fantastic, SD better than my V20 by a long way and stunning HD. The 50hz bug has never been an issue for me I just dont notice it enough, motion is in the most part very good. However, I can now see the green tinge on one side of my set and its not just when the screens displaying grey, anything close to white shows it and I can now see it on skin tones. If it was full screen Id prob find a work around but its just one half of the screen that seems to be effected, so theres now way around it.

Not 100% sure what Im going to do yet but I cant see myself keeping this set. Ironically the fact the PQ looks great otherwise makes this issue stand out more. Id like to know what this is, do I risk trying the new Panasonics? get a Samsung? wait for the new Samsungs or even LGs? hmmm on one hand the PQ of this set is stunning but Ive had nothing but issues with Panasonics now, its a tough one. Think Ill hold off and see what the new sets are like.

6. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    My first TV was a 10" black & white with tuning dial & circular attached aerial. I recall squinting to see match of the day in 1976... I couldn't tell which team were which... I'd have killed for a green blob! Lol

I've had 2 lcds & 4 Panasonic plasmas. I think, in the real world, perfection is not attainable, especially for under a grand...

Be thankful that you can mount your high definition, internet enabled 59" flat screen on your wall, turn the channel over from your chair & suffer the most minor irritations. Wakey wakey... I'm not aiming this comment at anyone, I just remember how far we've come.

The only thing that works perfectly in this world is imperfection. Without it, everything would remain the same......

7. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    will you go down the warranty route mate? you could find the replacement has less green tinge on it?

i do agree though there ust be loads of people who buy the Panasonics that don't notice it at all

8. slc79

slc79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Perfection; no. But seriously, many of these Panasonic issues this year is just ridiculous. Panasonic also being the only one with these green patches, and it's probably some manufacturing defect. When you fork out for the flagship models you should be able to expect better.

This is not "minor irritation", and the argument about "how far we've come" isn't valid either, because the past years has mostly been steps BACKWARDS in terms of picture quality. Sorry, not impressed regardless of how "bad" it may have been before I was born :)

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

I agree we simply cant expect fault free sets at the prices many of theses sets are. People expect improving PQ as well as more and more features for less money each year and this isnt realistic. I have posted this several times myself.

If it was a green blob on one edge I may let it go, but on my set this issue is evident centre right of the screen. Issues like the 50hz bug I dont really notice, Id rather the set didnt have it but all sets have issues and to me its very minor. This set also has some false contouring with some SD, again though I let this go as its nothing like my V20 was and I dont really notice it. There is fan noise and some buzzing, again though I can forgive as its not too noticeable and again nothing like the buzz both my V20s had.
    Some issues I can forgive as the set is amazing for the money. However, I was sold on the GT30 for its PQ including colour accuracy over the Samsungs at the time.
    The Samsungs may not have the black level of the Panasonics and in many ways arent quite as good, however they are also better in some other areas at a lower cost and importantly dont have this issue.

So whilst I agree for the money you cant expect perfection, issues like this are not acceptable IMO.
    With all due respect this isnt a black and white set being compared to other black and white sets, its a 2011 Full HD 3D set that compared to other Full HD 3D sets is rated for its PQ inc its coulor reproduction.

10. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Seems to me that Panasonic has been a little like an unfaithful girlfriend. You love them but you can't shake the feeling you've been duped & now you've got double vision & seeing green.

Answer, move on, get over it & get a new love in your life! Ha!

11. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

Not sure yet, if the set had this issue from the start Id have replaced it ASAP as I did with my first V20. However, as my set didnt have this issue before (at least it wasnt noticeable) there is no way I can be sure a replacement is free of the issue untill I've had it several months. After going through the hass of my V20 I really dont want to go again.

12. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

:laugh: More like a wife who wont give you a divorce.
    My love isnt with Panasonic my loves with deep blacks....even then its more an addiction than a love. I dont give a flying whatsit what brand a set is I just know what I want and if a brand can provide thats the brand I buy;)

13. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I agree... But post-pioneer, Panasonic have been the cost effective deep-black option for the last 10 years... I've had 4 Pana-plasmas.

I feel the biggest issue is power consumption in this new green age. Current Plasma design will die in the next 10 years. I've been in Product Design & Development for 20 years & I can see low power options winning everytime.

14. fluxo

fluxo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Callbacks are pretty unusual, generally, whatever the product
    type and most are safety related. It's not realistic to expect
    tv manufacturers to recall sets for what are, arguably, subjective
    PQ issues.

One thing that might help concentrate manufacturers' minds would
    be reviews that include numerical measurements of uniformity.

15. MrBungle2005

MrBungle2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Trouble is with Panasonic, is that they don't seem too concerned with fixing any issues that people raise on these forums (and in reviews). Why is the 50hz bug there after, what, 3 generations of sets now? U acceptable - and as people have said, probably ignored by Panasonic because not enough people complain/care about it.

It is probably because HD is still in its infancy to some degree. After all, how often when HD sets were first out, were people seeing friends/family connect games consoles to them via composite etc. Mind boggling really, and shows that many consumers buy sets purely because it is a big screen and nothing more.

I bet a lot of people buying cheapo sets from places like Tesco and Sainsburys get them home and think they are the best thing ever because they have come off the back of a 21inch CRT set.

Trouble is, how do you educate the average punter so that complaints start to reach manufacturers in the thousands, rather than the ...dozens? They receive now.

And Scooby is right, the sets most people are upset with here are flagship models from one of the largest consumer electronic manufacturers in the world. To hide behind "within specification" as each problem rears its head, leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Yet something inside me still nags in my ear that Panasonic as a brand is superior to other makes out there :(

16. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Do all these problems occur on the new Pany LED tv's?

I think Panasonic should just concentrate on only Plasmas and get it fairly right, as Samsung and Sony probably produce the better LCD/LED sets.

17. slc79

slc79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I doubt if they have the same problems on the LCD range. All issues been discussed so far has been on the plasmas, but someone did mention brightness fluctuations on a Panasonic LCD in another thread...

18. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    LCDs often have grey blacks, poor off axis viewing and backlight bleed/clouding...and that's with the top end 2D model from last year. I'll let it go as there was no 46" plasma within £400 when I got it!

I doubt there's a LCD/LED LCD out there with no clouding/with perfect screen uniformity

19. den

den

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Dont no how u get away with it lol. each year u manage to change your set to a new one i wanna no your secrets u have been so happy on here with your set and now the new ones are around the corner u are thinking about changing it must be great getting a new set each year lol.

20. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

Not realy I was happy with this one and its a proper pain in the ass to go through. I sold my PX80 as it was nothing like people said, then replaced the first V20 I got due to the buzz only to get a worse one. Then I get an issue thats not been around since the PX60 an issue:rolleyes: I was advised by a pro on here that it would only get worse, so after having the set taken to repair the buzz(repair failed)
    I then had to get the set sent off to try and fix the new issue only to be told by Panasonic theres nothing wrong. After a month or more of hass I got in touch with Panasonic higher up and managed to get a full refund.
    This is after of course having to drive 400 miles(round trip) to get the first set replaced as I stupidly hadn't got the set local.

I know your only joking:) but just so people dont get the wrong idea its a propper pain and the chances are Ill need to go through it again.
    New sets are a good 5 months away yet so not even sure Ill get a new one, going to take a look at the D8000 and D6900 though the reviews are confusing me at the mo.

The GT30 is a great set, but knowing now that this issue is likely on all sets now rather than on a few you can check, I cant recommend it any more, which is a genuine shame as if IMO if it wasnt for this, on the whole this is one of the best sets of 2011.

21. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    I have been tarred with this very same brush on more than one occasion :rolleyes:

22. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I'm in a similar position although I'm within the return period.
    I'm confused by the reviews and some owners as well regarding the Samsungs
    I really want a set with decent blacks and IMO the only sets anywhere near the level I need are the Panny sets, however I may be willing to ignore this IF the blacks are "good enough" and its this I can't seem to get confirmed, some users and reviews suggest that I should be okay going from an ST30 to a D6900 but I'm not too sure.
    May ask JL to cancel delivery of my 50ST30 and see if they will deliver the 51D6900 instead although its more expensive for the Samsung now:rolleyes:
    I may have to just take a punt I guess

23. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I had been considering getting a GT30 but ended up getting a Panasonic 46G20 from Amazon Warehouse last month. I bought it as an impulse purchase as it was just £400 and so much less than the £1300 that the GT30 was going for. I am generally happy with the set but do sometimes notice the posterization/false contouring. Is this aspect significantly better on the GT30? The recent price falls on the GT30 have me tempted to upgrade...

24. den

den

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Glad you know im only joking. ive been in the same situation as yourself fair few times. i have been so tempted to get the gt30 soon as i no the prices will drop quiet alot just before the new range get released. but knowing me i will want one of the new ones as they are pulling away from neoplasma and maybe better but i will have to wait again for the price to drop after release as i wont wanna pay the premium price on lunch lol

25. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,878
    Ditto here too mate.

Though I'm so happy with my D8000 I dont think I will be upgrading for a long time. :thumbsup:

26. den

den

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I would be tempted with a d8000 if the 51in blacks were as good as the bigger sets.

27. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:, I wish i was in your camp :laugh:, lord knows i have tried really hard to find a TV with tolerable issues, Thought i found TV nirvarna in the D6900 but i can't bear watching TV in a Tattoo parlour for much longer :facepalm:.

Had a good listen at the PS51D8000 in RS today with a quiet shop and just a feint tizz the same as me pop's 51" 6900. If i thought i could live with 8" less i would ave it in a shot ;) LOL.

28. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    If you watch in a room with lights on the 51" D8000 looks as black as the 64". I was looking at one again today and it was as black as the LCD's beside it (Jet Black):)

29. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,878
    You will get more pleasure with 8" less (OH ERRR MISSES :blush::rotfl:)

Go for it Tin Tin happiness awaits. :smashin:

30. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Try and tell my missus that :eek::blush:, Trouble is i can't persaude her that another 5" could be even better :rotfl:.