Why is my XBMC buffering all the time ..?

BISHI

I'm no computer genius so bare with me-

I have an Asus Revo 3600 running XBMC on linux - it boots straight into XBMC and the computer runs nothing else. It is wired directly into a virgin 30meg router via a cat5 network so no wireless. It has worked beautifully for a month or so, all I use is icefilms for movies and TV series.
This weekend it started to buffer every 10 seconds or so and eventually just drops out - on anything and everything. Thought it might be heavy weekend demand so I have tried every day since and still the same.Anybody got any ideas as its beginning to drive me nuts !!!!

Cheers..:smashin:

MrHyde1969

Novice Member
Have you tried changing your dns settings? There have been problems recently with megaupload having to change things due to hacking. The problem is not with the ice films site

BISHI

Ok, sounds useful - how do I do that ....and what should I change it to..?

Monty Burns

Have you by any chance hit your VM FUP limits? Maybe thats having an affect.

BISHI

VM FUP..? Is ths virgin media upload or something..?
How would I check..?

Cheers..

Monty Burns

Fair Usage Policy/Acceptable Use Policy. Based on your package and how much you can download each month. Once you hit it, certain traffic is restricted which might affect you downloading stuff by slowing it down (causing stuttering) rather than stopping it (causing it to stop).

MooCow

I would test outside of peak times (whatever VM define those as) to check for throttling your connection.

Also is your MegaUpload account out of credit/time? They have three levels - non member, premium (basically you registered a user name), and premium with payment - all of which have differing wait times etc.

Final thing, could it be that some of the material is in HD and that is causing it? I found some of the high bandwidth stuff "stuttery" but not buffering playback.

BISHI

VM catchup/on demand no longer works, does that mean I am being throttled. How can I find out and how long will it last. I didn't realize that streaming could result in this ..!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom