Question Why is my Windows 8 laptop unresponsive (everyday)?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by WhatTheF, Jul 8, 2015.

1. WhatTheF

WhatTheF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba laptop that is only 1 year old. For the past few weeks or so, I have had to do "cold shutdown" almost everyday at the same time. Around 9am in the morning, my laptop suddenly becomes laggy and programs become unresponsive (even when I only have one program like Chrome on). It also starts-up quite slower than it use too.

I do have a lot of storage taken up on my internal hard drive due to backup folders.

I have checked the Task Manager and Task Scheduler and cannot pinpoint the issue. I have also disabled automatic maintenance and updates but it still occurs.

Any advise?

2. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Could be malware present on your computer, try downloading Malwarebytes and running a scan, see if that sorts it out.
    Malwarebytes | Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

3. WhatTheF

WhatTheF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    What were your results?
    Did malwarebytes find anything?
    If it did, keep running it until you get a clean result.

Also, how much space is free on the internal hard drive?
    There Should be an absolute minimum of10 % free space on the system drive or things slow down considerably!

Note: having a backup on the single internal hard drive is not a backup! If the drive crashes its gone regardless. If you need hard drive space free on the laptop, then move these backup folders to an external drive, preferably more than one if you really want them to be considered backups!

5. WhatTheF

WhatTheF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It only found one threat which was then terminated. I am very safe with my security on my computer so I can assume that malware or viruses isn't the issue.

My internal hard drive has about 100GB free space out of about 500GB. Also, my internal hard drive isn't my primary HDD. I already have an external 2TB HDD which I use primarily, so the backups on my Internal HDD is from my External HDD.

6. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    To be clear, the " primary " hard drive for any computer is the drive where the
    OS and programs are installed. For a laptop, which would normally only have one internal drive, this would mean the internal C: drive!

Are we using the term " primary" in the same way here or do you have an unusual setup?

Assuming a typical setup, try turning off fast boot! There is a known issue with that particular w8 feature that causes problems similar to what you describe!

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

If that solves your issue, then there is a program or programs on your laptop that is not playing nice with the feature, and tracking it down is a question of checking each non microsoft program in turn to find the culprit!

7. WhatTheF

WhatTheF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "do you have an unusual setup" - Oh jeez, lol.

The external HDD is used for my primary data, information, work, general storage etc., but if you to want include the typicality of computers into your equation then you can then annoyingly conclude your own equation. Also, the use of your exclamation marks is excessive.

However, I will check that link and see what happens to any changes made. Thanks.

8. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    Clearly your smart eough to fix this yourself!
    Have fun!

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Have you ever cleared out the Temp folders on the laptop? Over time these can get filled with lots of files that can slow a computer down.
    Try deleting the contents of (but not the actual folders)
    C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Windows\Prefetch

Also if you know how to view hidden files
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

I would then suggest you run a defragmentation & optimisation of the HDD, I use Auslogics for this.

Mark.