Why is my PS3 so slow over Wireless

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    My PS3 is connected to the internet via Wireless and its been fine.. A bit slow perhaps, but fine.

I always planned to run a cable, but this would mean going right around the OUTSIDE of the house, but I never got around to it, as Wireless works just fine.. (And before anyone says anything, yes, I know that HomePlugs are an option).

I am generally quite happy with the PS3 over wireless, execpt when downloading stuff off the PSN.. Its just so slow.. I can see that something isn't right, as when I go to my friends, his downloads about 10x faster.

So today, I decided to do some tests..

I did a speedcheck on my PC (which is hardwired to the router) and I am currently getting 1.2Mbs (This is because other stuff is going on in the background)

I then did the same speedcheck on 2 laptops connected wirelessly to the router and right next to the PS3 and am getting about 1Mbs..

I then kicked off a random download on the PS3 and after 11mins, it had downloaded 28M.. This works out at 300Kbs.

I am going to let this run for a while and will then run a temporary cable to the PS3 and re-test, this will prove whether the bottleneck really is the Wireless connection... I can't work out why downloads are so slow.. I have witnessed other peoples downloads and they are SO much faster than mine... I know my Broadband isn't the fastest, but I know I can easily get 200Mbs when everything is idle...

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Jon

2. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Have you considered getting a more powerful wireless router like the 'N' series which sends a much wider signal. Although I do sometimes have the same problem. I can easily play online via WIFI on the PS3 and get no lag but if I ever download anything fron the 'PlaystationStore' I get the worst transfer rate (I did test it with a wired connection aswell and the difference was there but nothing to write home about)

How do you find online gameplay via WIFI?

3. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    Eh, 200Mbps that's impossible unless you're in some Datacenter...

What's your ADSL connection speed, you seem to be comparing Megabits and Megabytes...

4. cyax

cyax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With the PS3 only being compatible with 802.11b/g an N draft router would fall back to 11g and you'd get no speed increase. Better to just get an access point in case the signal is too weak for the PS3 to get good speeds.

Although if you have a 200Mbs broadband then the 1.2Mbs you get over wireless is really weak and sounds like the router is setup to using 11b instead of 11g. I'd try checking the settings and/or try to find another channel that could have less interference if that's the case.

5. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    Err, hello, 200Mbps broadband is currently impossible....the max out there is 50Mbs...

6. FlashTickLeZ

FlashTickLeZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey guys :hiya:
    I have the same issue regarding downloading stuff from the PlaystationStore.

Although I have NOT ran any tests on my home network really. My laptop (wireless, upstairs) gets a speedtest.net result of around 6.5Mb down and 344 Kb upload.

Playing online, I experience no noticeable lag on the PS3 also wireless, yet downloads are painfully slow (2+ hours for a 200ish Mb file for Bioshock :eek:)

I'm on BT using a Homehub 2.0. (which is in the same room as my PS3)

I've also tried a wired connection on the PS3 and the difference wasn't really noticeable..

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I am not confusing 'bits' to 'bytes'.. I never said 'bytes'... I said 200Mbs which is "mega Bits".. As I understand it, if I were talking bytes, I would be saying 200MBs... If I had been talking BYTES, then it woudl be even more impressive (impossible) at 1.6GBitS...

But you are right.. I was having a blonde moment.. How can it be 200Mbs? My broadband is only 3M.. Doh!!!

It was a typo and a slight miscalculation in my head.. What I ment to say was 2000K or 2MbitS.. But what my PS3 gives me is 1/8th of that!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I should have said, Gameplay is fine.. I get lag and often blame my router/internet, but i think its about the same as everyone else.

Its just sustained data that I get a problem with...

After leavng the download running to 90M, I was averaging 300KbS.. I then stopped a bunch of downloads on my main PC and repeated the tests and now its running like the clappers.. But I think that the 90M I downloaded is still on the hard-drive somewhere and its just rattling throught that.. Once its gets to the point where I stopped it before, I will see if it goes back to 'normal' (i.e slow).

Jon

Edit:.. Hmm.. Strange.. Its well past 90meg now and its still going quickly(er).. Where as before I was getting 2.4Mbyte per minute.. Now I am getting 5.5M (which is 750KbS).. A lot closer to what I get on the PC..

So, perhaps I don't have a probelm after all.. But instead, the downloads on my PC are 'steeling' bandwidth.. Time for a few more tests I think.....

9. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    So you're getting (at 5.5mb per min) around 90kbps, when you should be getting (in optimal conditions) around 300-350kbps.... but then you say you are downloading other things on the PC ?

I've no idea of the priorities that things take, but if you're downloading on the pc then why would you expect anything less than to slow your PS3 downloading times down ?

10. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I have pretty much the opposite to you (from your original post, although seems you are acutally ok).

My data transfers are fine and I get good speeds (when my ISP is playing) but when I come to browsing the net with the PS3 I find it slow and sluggish. I thought it was a DNS issue as it seems to take an age to find the pages. Once the page is found the content downloads ok but I have tried every combination of letting my PS3 use the router default to forcing DNS entries in. Seems to be very slow lookup compared to my PC.

Can't get to the botttom of it though. Maybe its just latency.

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I do expect it to slow down my PS3, but not by as much as it does.

I have a 3M connection and my PS3 is currently downloading at 800K (both in BITS per second)...

I know I can do better than this on a PC with a Wireless connection in the same location, so I do think I have a problem...

12. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    I'd stop quoting "bits" as you're downloading in bytes, i've never understood why ISP's use "bits", i guess the bigger numbers look more enticing.

So you're currently at 100kbps, which is about a third of what you would expect i guess, and nothing else is downloading now ?

Is this the fastest it's ever been, or has it ever got higher than this ? It could be some router setting, i read something about a "mixed" signal and the PS3 will use "b" rather than "g"...I'd try some googling, there were quite a few posts when i tried.

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757

I can't stop talking BITS as this is what 'datacoms' is measured in.. After working in the industry for the past 20 years, I am not going to change.

Your internet connection is provided in 'bits'.. Everything in the datacomes worlds is in 'bits'.. The only thing which is not is the PS3s indiction when it downloads, so I am sticking with 'bits'.

If anything, people need to stop talking 'bytes' when it come to comms, as this is frankly wrong!! This is exactly the reason why ISPs talk in 'bits' because its rights.

It would be a bit like changing over to yards, instead of miles.. You measure long distances in miles, shorter in yards, and even shorter still in inches.. Thats how it works.. In datacoms terms it is, and always has been 'bits'.

ANyway.. Back to my problem.. I can now prove whether this is a wireless issue or not.. With my PS3 the only device online right now, I know it has ALL of the bandwidth... And I am getting 800kbs (bit)...

I am now going to drag a long cable through the house and see if there is a significant improvement..

Jon

14. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    Yeah a fair point, but not for an end user as everything you DOWNLOAD is in BYTES! :)

From web pages, to files, the file system is measured in bytes, not bits, well at least that is what is presented to the user, most users have no concept of "bits"..

Everything you use your connection for is presented in bytes, to work out how long a page will load, to work out how long a file will take to download, it's not in bytes, so your "average Joe", when seeing they have a 10Mbs connection, think they can download a 5mb song in half a second...

So you're still at a third of optimum download rate, be interesting to see what happens but i bet your connection will jump up...

15. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I had this problem with my wifi the supplied router was something like 6db and with loads of other people near me with wifi i only got 15% signal strength and slow speed.

I bought a cheap cisco access point which is something like 30db and i get 95% signal strength now and full speed.

16. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I know what you are saying... And to some extent I agree.. But 'comms' is in Bytes and I have no reason to think it will change...

And trust me, it doesn't get any easier.. The technoligies I work on are in the GigaBit range... And the numbers just get bigger and bigger... But since everything is communicated in bits, its important that we still talk about it that way. This is because the 'bit' is the only common denominator in comms.. Bytes may be used on computers, but not all aspects of 'comms' is discussed in 'bytes'.. So whilst changing to 'bytes' might help computer users, it would have a negative impact on the rest of the industry.

I now have a cabled connection and the improvement is not great.. With Wireless (And nothing else downloading) I got 71M in 13mins.. In the same 13min period over a wired connection, I got 90M.

So its a good improvement, but it makes me wonder whether its worth the bother of running a cable...

I am guessing that the bottle neck now, is at the other end.... I may have to do a few more tests with a Wired connection to measure the overall improvement!!

Jon

17. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    Yeah, fully understand where you're coming from in terms of a "common" language.

Hmm, that's not good then, so it's only adding a few kbps onto your speed, odd.....

18. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304

Jon,

How is web browsing cabled vs wireless? I should have checked this a while back when I had a long cat5 cable but don't have it at the moment.

My pages always take a few seconds to appear before loading when browsing wirelessly with the PS3.

ta.

19. roswellgrey

roswellgrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Jon , just a thought - does your ISP employ traffic shaping on a per site basis ?

My reasoning : speedtests are never throttled, the site that you are using for the PC download
    comparison might not be throttled, but the PSN site could be throttled - hence the disparity in download speeds ...

I have observed with my ISP that PSN (as a site) is certainly NOT in the "always flat out", never throttle category,
    and when traffic shaping does kick in it runs about the same speeds you are getting i.e. 200-300Kbps ....

Probably not the case, but worth a punt ....

20. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I will check for you.. I don't use my PS3 for browsing, but I can certainly try.

Any site you want me to try?

Jon

21. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I can't say for sure, but probably not.. Its "Business Broadband" and we are assured that there is no throttling and/or capping going on.

When I called them about a fault a few months ago, they questioned my usage as "it was the highest they had ever seen".. I made a few excuses and hung up :)

Jon

22. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
  23. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Its hard to judge as I only have Wired for now, but I would say its pretty instant.. I went to Youtube and immedaitly got the "Welcome" text in the blue box at the top.. The rest of the page loaded a few seconds later.. Certainly no differnt to surfing on a PC.

Then I tried "www.bbc.com" and got the purple BBC bar in about 1 second.. Followed by the rest of the page a few seconds later.

I am going to wait until the KillZone demo is down befoer I go back to Wireless, so I will let you know how the browser looks then.

Jon

24. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Might be wireless why mine is slow to browse then, as pages take a while to actually "find" with mine wirelessly.

25. FlashTickLeZ

FlashTickLeZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey guys,:hiya:

I was looking into this last night and I found somewhere that changing the wireless channel on your router makes it quicker? Bear in mind this was specifically for a HomeHub 2.0 but I assume it will be the same for any other wireless router.:confused:

In HomeHub 2.0 router settings on the advanced wireless setup page my channel was set to Auto, defaulting the channel to 1, which offered a speed of 36Mbps I changed this to channel 11 and now its states 130Mbps.

I don't really understand how this makes a difference seeing as the line speed into my house is 8Mbps.

I instantly noticed a difference when browsing and downloading on both laptop and the PS3. downloaded the last 30% of Killzone demo in about 30 minutes after changing this, the first 70ish% took nearly 4 hours.:eek:

Hope this helps someone!