Why is my pic so poor?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chuffster2005, Feb 20, 2005.

1. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I`ve got an NEC 50" XGA XM3 Plasma.I originally had a Marantz DV8300 dvd player connected via component,but found the pic blurry,soft and full of blockiness.I decided to go the dvi route and instead bought a Denon 1910,but found out the dvi wouldn`t work on my plasma.I also tried connecting this via component leads,but still got a rubbish picture.ps2 and X Box look razor sharp through comp.connetions.The comp.leads I bought aren`t cheap either(£160!)!!
    Please tell me why the picture is so rubbish when Sky+ and the above consoles look fine!Could anyone recommend a better dvd player for this tv?? :lease:

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to me as though it's not the DVD player at fault. You seem to have had problems with 2 different players on the same screen...
    If you're using composite BTW, you're using the worst possible connection (this will be a single phone plug, normally yellow...)
    Component should be miles better (3 phono plugs coloured Red, Green & Blue).

I'm not overly familiar with your screen, but I know a man who is and I will point him in the direction of this thread...in the menatime however, I have had experience of an NEC screen and a denon 3910 outputting 720p via DVI...and the picture was the worst i've ever seen - bar none.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I take it you mean component leads, surely nobody should pay £160 for a composite lead, they cost me about £15 for a top one... It was my demo XM3 that Brian saw, (he's one of my technicians) and we were both agreed it was truly dreadful. Component was a bit better, far from the PQ on the PHD7 beside it, but OK. I wonder if this screen has some major issues with Denon DVD players, or could that be the DVD format? The Marantz should have beed a good player too. Can you confirm your connection method, and also with the Marantz? This wasn't composite really was it? If it's all component, I have to say I think you need a better screen for your DVD player, not the other way round.

4. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Indeed,I meant component.Sorry about the mistake there!

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then you wouldn't have seen a massive improvement with DVI over component. Watching an upscaled picture can sometimes do more bad than good. If it's a region 1 disc, the info on it is 720 x 480 proigressive. R2 dics are 720 x 576 progressive. If you upscale discs to say 720 progressive, then your plasma will "un upscale" it again to display it. This can sometimes ruin a picture.

The best thing I could suggest you do is - spend more money!! maybe invest in a scaler, prefaerably one that will output your panels native resolution. This way, the panel dosen't "un scale" the picture before displaying it...

6. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Believe it or not,I`ve just tried(for the 1st time ever!),playing a dvd(the one I watched this afternoon,Man On Fire,which gave poor results!)on my PS2 through,component(or would it be an rgb connection?)and the results are MUCH better!Obviously,I don`t want to watch stuff this way if possible,so can you point me in the direction of a scaler,or and RGB dvd player if such exists?(Yes,I`m dumb,I`m sorry!)

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you're not dumb my friend...you just want the best you can get, just like the rest of us.
    Firts things first...how have you got your PS2 connected? Is it with the cable that came with it (3 phono's - 1 yellow, 1 red & 1 white...)? If so, your watching a composite signal...and if this is better than a component or DVI signal, then you have a problem...

Does your plasma panel have a scart socket? If so, it's probably RGB enabled...the denon 1910 will output an RGB signal via it's scart output. Try that. But before you do, ensure that DVI and component are both switched off or else you won't get anything from the scart output. This will be done in the set up menu. Then switch the scart (sometimes called av in the menu) to RGB and see what that does to your picture...

I think we may have identified a problem here with NEC/Denon combinations...seems odd.

8. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The ps2 is connected to the component/rgb input with a red/green and blue lead.It`s the same socket I use for the dvd player.Sadly,there`s no scart socket on my plasma.
    Thanks for being so helpful :)

9. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Is there such a lead that will allow me to connect the denon via scart socket and then to the component sockets on my plasma to allow the denon to display an rgb signal?

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe...I don't know whether your panel will accept an RGB & sync signal...which is basically a cable with a scart plug on one end and 4 phono's on the other. A red, green & blue one plus a yellow one to go to the composite plug on the plasma...though like I said, whether your plasma will accept it or not is another thing.

Do you have an av amp...? You could always use that as a video switcher...connect all your video sources to it and then one cable out to your plasma...That way, if the plasma only has one set of component inputs, you can still connect the DVD and the PS 2 via component...if you have Sky+, connect that to the amp vis s video. I'm assuming that you have an amp that converts all signals to component here...and you know what they say about ass u me...:suicide:

11. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I have a Pioneer AX5i amp-should i be able to do all the above with that?

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. IIRC, the AX5i has 2 component in(?) and one out. Run the DVD player and PS2 into the component in on the ax5i and run the component out to the plasma. You then use the amp as a video switcher. I am 99.9% certain that it will convert other incoming signals to component as well. So if you have other games consoles or digital TV, connect these also to the amp, the signal will be converted to component via the amp and your in...BUT...don't go spending £165 on component cables. The way I see it, you'll nedd at least 2 more component cables. As a rule of thumb, you should budget 10% of the cost of your whole system on cables...and that's all cables...interconnects, both video and audio and speaker cable.

13. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Cheers for all your help,Family Guy.From now on,I shall call you "Dad" :clap:

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: I'm not that old!!! :D

15. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Are the marantz and the denon internally the same machines?

I was led to believe they were?

16. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    No thats marantz and pioneer. But that relationship stopped i believe with the marantz 9500 as thats all marantz design.( in the past they would clone the video section of pioneer and then just beef up the audio side)

Denon however owns marantz or has a stake in the company.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's pretty recent too, not enough time for a technical tie in yet.

18. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    D&M Holdings own both Denon and Marantz amongst other companies

Check out www.dm-holdings.com/eng for stock information

19. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Managed to get my hands on a Zinwell Bls 2000 scaler-should be here in a couple of days.Will this help?

20. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No Denon do not own Marantz, or the other way round

That is correct.

21. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: