WHY is my PC so Damn Noisy?

Waynester

Hi everyone

at times my PC is very quiet, well....almost
i would say "tolerable" as computers go :rolleyes:

then at times, it sounds like a gale force wind is blowing through it!
ITS BECOMING SO ANNOYING!! AARRGGHHHHH :mad:

what would be the main cause of this? is it the power supply or the fan(s) inside it

sorry for such a "how long is a bit of string question"
but just wanted to know where i start with replacing items to make it nice and Quiet
dont want to waste money if i can help it :rolleyes:

my PC Specs are here
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/PDF/c00592575.pdf

i have 4GB of Ram running Windows Vista Premium, and i have this Graphics Card installed in it
Inno3D Geforce 8500GT 800MHz 512MB Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

any ideas ??

jameson_uk

then at times, it sounds like a gale force wind is blowing through it!
ITS BECOMING SO ANNOYING!! AARRGGHHHHH :mad:

what would be the main cause of this? is it the power supply or the fan(s) inside it
Could be anything. Best option is to open up the PC whilst it is being really noisey and see what is making the noise. You can quite happily stop the case fans for a second or two (not such a good idea with the CPU fan though).

If it is a large whoosing sound rather than an annoying higher pitched sound then you are looking for something with a larger fan (possibly the PSU or case fans). Your graphics card could be the source of the problem but I would have thought that would be a more whinny than whooshing noise :cool:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Noisy Fans is the answer ,

and the good news is , that with some careful selection of replacement parts it can be totally silent.

Quiet PC UK - Quiet Computer Hardware for a Quiet PC

The main culprits are usually the CPU cooler , graphics card cooler , and the power supply , usually in that order in terms of noise output.

In general , the smaller the fan the more noise it makes , larger fans get the same airflow from less rpm and are usually quieter.

CPU coolers can be had with less than 10dba of noise , power supplies can be "fanless" in that they do have a fan but only spin 4% of the time , and 8500 graphics cards come in passive versions , no fan at all ....all that would make for a pc you would have to strain to hear !

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 293381

Hi

A sign of sudden noise of a fan from the PC is that it is over-heating and the fan speed is turned up by the BIOS or Windows to try the reduce the heat.

It could be any of the fans controlled by the motherboard but is most likely to be the CPU fan.

The inside of the PC might just need a good clean. :thumbsup:

Alan

opencube

my dad had this issue with hi Packard Bell iMedia machine.

It would take ages to boot Windows, and whenever it attempted to do certain tasks it would pause, the fans would kick in really loud then it would try to complete the task.

Im not a fan of Seagate drives and it had one installed, so i bought a new western digital drive and did a fresh re install of XP (not the version i got with the machine, a proper full version)

Now it is as quite as a mouse, really quick and boots in under 2mins.

if you do go down a similar route ensure you make a backup of all your drivers... i used Drivermax to do it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom