why is my laptop slow

I'm not sure which link you clicked/site you visited but if you click the link below, if necessary scroll back to the top, then click on the blue SSD icon it will take straight to the section on the crucial website where there are plenty of compatible drives.

I assume that you are looking at the UK website and your laptop is an Hp-14-an008na. TBH it is probably going to be simpler to take it to a local workshop and have the work done for you - especially if you have never stripped a laptop before
I clicked the link you provided and found 2 different types which have slightly different read/write speeds but the quicker one isnt in stock so is there much difference bewtween the 20mb read and 10mb write drives that i might see as we only use the laptop for general things like surfing and printing the occasional document.

I have changed memory and hard drives before but its always been changing like for like HDD drives so feel confident doing that but just never done changing a HDD drive for a SSD drive however after viewing the youtube video provied in a previous reply on this thread i feel like its a task i could complete

Mark
For your usage, the main caveat would be the SSD - so as long as the new laptop has that, you'll see a noticeable improvement over what you've currently got. As for the rest of the laptop, most come with 8GB RAM these days which is absolutely fine, and as long as you're looking at a recently released Core i3 / i5 (or a AMD Ryzen 3 or above) processor, you should find the laptop will last you a few years.

When it comes to buying a new one, feel free to give me a nudge and I'll be happy to suggest a couple of options.
Thanks Lefty, appreciate the offer and i will take you up on it but not just yet

Mark

You have two spyware protection packages, that seems redundant and there could be conflicts between them.

I clicked the link you provided and found 2 different types which have slightly different read/write speeds but the quicker one isnt in stock so is there much difference bewtween the 20mb read and 10mb write drives that i might see as we only use the laptop for general things like surfing and printing the occasional document
The crucial MX500 range is definitely better than the BX500 range. It isn’t just the read write speeds, it’s the amount of cache available that affects performance, the difference is significant - I know I have tried both. This is also reflected in the price. However for a budget laptop doing mainly office tasks you are probably fine going with the cheaper drive.

Last edited:
You have two spyware protection packages, that seems redundant and there could be conflicts between them.
Thank you for your reply. I have removed all of the afore mentioned programs and replaced them with just bitdefender as suggested by a previous person earlier in the thread

The crucial MX500 range is definitely better than the BX500 range. It isn’t just the read write speeds, it’s the amount of cache available that affects performance, the difference is significant - I know I have tried both. This is also reflected in the price. However for a budget laptop doing mainly office tasks you are probably fine going with the cheaper drive.
Do i have to go directly to crucial themseleves as ive done a search and found what looks like in the description the exact same model etc of SSD drives on ebay for about £20 cheaper and ive also found the exact same one on amazon for £10 cheaper

You are fine to go elsewhere. Naturally if you buy direct from crucial you are likely going to pay the MSRP.
If going to eBay check the sellers status, return policies especially if buying used. I recently won a bid for a new SAMSUNG SSD which when delivered was not as described. By then the seller had been removed from eBay so it took me 3w to get a refund through eBay
Also it doesn't have to be a crucial drive - there are many others, western digital, seagate, ADATA, sandisk, SAMSUNG etc. Check the price, the specs and the warranty when comparing brands.
My favourite sellers are cclonline and ebuyer

Last edited:
CCL is my 'go to' supplier, it is still an independent and Ebuyer was bought up but the service is still good.

hi all, ive bought the lead and SSD drive but the laptop doesnt seem to recognise the ssd drive is plugged in and i cant see the drive in the this pc folder icon. What am i doing wrong and could it be that the lead i have bought (USB3 to sata lead) is wrong? if so,given the specs that i stated earlier in the thread what lead would i need. Any help would be much appreciated Mark

You’re probably doing nothing wrong, the drive needs to be formatted and allocated a drive letter before it can be seen in my PC. Open disk manager and right click on the drive which has unallocated space, and Choose the simple volume wizard. If needed post a screenshot and we can advise if this isn’t clear
In fact preformatting isn’t even necessary if you use cloning software such as acronis, it will automatically recognise an unallocated drive and assume this is the destination clone drive, create and format the partitions for you.

Last edited:
thank you for your help with this. after i open disk managment i get this. what should i do next please

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_151046.jpg
    IMG_20210220_151046.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 23
Make sure you have allocated it a drive letter
go back into disk management, right click on the newly formatted drive, choose change drive letter and Path and allocate it a letter
Again post a disk manager screenshot if needed
PS its better to take a screenshot using Windows snipping tool. Click the Start button, type snipping tool in the search box on the taskbar, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom