why is my laptop slow

Giraffe76

Hi all,

Ive noticed that my laptop has been running slow recently.
My microsoft windows, avg anti virus, zonealarm firewall, spyware blaster, malwarebytes and spybot software is all upto date.

Can anyone advise me what to do

Kind regards Mark

Its tricky without more information, like what is slow, ? Games, loading a website, all websites, photoshop, loading into windows ? But I would consider removing all those security apps (or disable them all and reboot if possible) and see if it runs faster, just as a test. If its better Then add them back on one at a time and check each time. It could be that there is some issue or just performance is slowing down due to load from the various apps, hard to say.

As mentioned above if you dont already consider getting a SSD as thats a real game changer in PC performance.

outoftheknow

Not being funny but I would cut the number of spyware and similar programs in use. I don’t think so many are required nowadays and many web protection functions are in browsers etc.

I used to use Zonealarm about two decades ago, and AVG free plus Spybot at the same time. Used to get plenty of alerts. Then Malwarebytes and again heaps of alerts.

Over the years I have cut back to paid Malwarebytes Premium and Defender and can’t remember the last alert. MWB seems to keep cutting back the amount of resources required so to me the lack of slow down issues seems to now be the norm.

Of course computing power has increased massively over the period - I’m not a fan of program developers taking the view that they can be lazy and use as much of the available resources as they like though. As much as I loved the many free versions I loaded up, just the one paid one now has provided all I need.

just to note I don’t use or buy mainstream all in ones (Symantec etc) - IME and IMHO they have been the main culprits in writing programs that take over resources. And don’t offer (to me) anything less resource hungry programs do.

Giraffe76

Hi, sorry i didnt say but everything seems to be slow when i try running it whether thats browsing or running programs but i dont do gaming photoshop or anything that uses heavy system resources. Ive looked in the list of programs that initially start and disabled all that i think arent needed to be started.

Thanks for all your responses. I dont run the microsoft firewall as i thought it wasnt as good as others available but im open to suggestions on what free programs would be best to install to keep me safe.

I will try to run the program in safe mode and disable all the others and slowly reinstall each but in the meantime if anyone could suggest how i install a SSD drive from my normal HHD and where would be the best place to get a ssd from id appreciate that.

Kind regards Mark

DavidG1

if anyone could suggest how i install a SSD drive from my normal HHD and where would be the best place to get a ssd from id appreciate that.
Initially post make and model of your laptop so we can check the specs,or assuming windows 10
  • Open Start.
  • Search for msinfo32 and click the top result to open the System Information app.
  • Select the System Summary category from the left navigation pane.
copy and paste the results in your post

Last edited:

Giraffe76

Initially post make and model of your laptop so we can check the specs,or assuming windows 10
  • Open Start.
  • Search for msinfo32 and click the top result to open the System Information app.
  • Select the System Summary category from the left navigation pane.
copy and paste the results in your post
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP-ALALJPJI
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Notebook
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU X3M01EA#ABU
Processor AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.35, 05/02/2020
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 73.16
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 81E5
BaseBoard Version KBC Version 73.16
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"
Username LAPTOP-ALALJPJI\marks
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 6.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.67 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.65 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.87 GB
Page File Space 1.69 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

DavidG1

You have a budget laptop with a slow mechanical hard drive. Fortunately there is a service manual detailing the disassembly. You will need to refer to the manual and remove the HDD when needed
It takes standard 2.5" form factor hard drives so any standard 2.5 SATA SSD will fit. Here is a list of compatible SSDs from the crucial website. You may be able to buy cheaper from computer suppliers such as ebuyer, cclonline, novatech, aria computers etc.
You currently have a 1TB HDD fitted and ideally you should replace with a 1TB SSD, but it doesn't have to be - it depends on how much data is on the drive. If for instance you only have 250GB filled and the rest free then a 500GB drive would suffice. Once you have got your replacement you can either clone the HDD to the SSD - this will make an identical copy or you can do a clean install using a recovery USB you would have to create beforehand.
If you want to clone you will need an external caddy or USB-SATA adapter to temporarily mount the SSD. The SSD will come with some cloning software downloadable from the manufacturers website. You then follow the cloning instructions. If you need more help let us know

Here is a youtube video detailing the priniciples of cloning

Finally if all this seems beyond you get a tech savvy friend to help or take it to a local workshop who can do the upgrade for a fee

Last edited:

Giraffe76

You have a budget laptop with a slow mechanical hard drive. Fortunately there is a service manual detailing the disassembly. You will need to refer to the manual and remove the HDD when needed
It takes standard 2.5" form factor hard drives so any standard 2.5 SATA SSD will fit. Here is a list of compatible SSDs from the crucial website. You may be able to buy cheaper from computer suppliers such as ebuyer, cclonline, novatech, aria computers etc.
You currently have a 1TB HDD fitted and ideally you should replace with a 1TB SSD, but it doesn't have to be - it depends on how much data is on the drive. If for instance you only have 250GB filled and the rest free then a 500GB drive would suffice. Once you have got your replacement you can either clone the HDD to the SSD - this will make an identical copy or you can do a clean install using a recovery USB you would have to create beforehand.
If you want to clone you will need an external caddy or USB-SATA adapter to temporarily mount the SSD. The SSD will come with some cloning software downloadable from the manufacturers website. You then follow the cloning instructions. If you need more help let us know

Finally if all this seems beyond you get a tech savvy friend to help or take it to a local workshop who can do the upgrade for a fee

Thanks for your help and advice. I will look into it and get back to you if needed.

Many thanks and regards Mark

Giraffe76

It's this the sort of hard drive that your talking about?

Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-21-20-55-59-177_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-21-20-55-59-177_com.android.chrome.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 19

DavidG1

No this won’t fit, go to the crucial website following the link in my original post where it lists compatible SSDs
this is the sort of drive you need

Last edited:

Giraffe76

Ok thanks for all your replies. Nothing seems unusual or high performance wise.
I have everything in place to order and will make the change over when i can do so. Would there be any need to buy any new memory to go with the new hard drive to speed things up further or is it not needed?

Kind regards Mark

Giraffe76

OK thank you. When i look for a new laptop considering we only use a laptop for basic surfing and nothing complicated what sort of spec would be best to get to future proof the item and to pevent this sort of thing happening again?

Many thanks Mark

LeftyXXIII

Distinguished Member
OK thank you. When i look for a new laptop considering we only use a laptop for basic surfing and nothing complicated what sort of spec would be best to get to future proof the item and to pevent this sort of thing happening again?

Many thanks Mark

For your usage, the main caveat would be the SSD - so as long as the new laptop has that, you'll see a noticeable improvement over what you've currently got. As for the rest of the laptop, most come with 8GB RAM these days which is absolutely fine, and as long as you're looking at a recently released Core i3 / i5 (or a AMD Ryzen 3 or above) processor, you should find the laptop will last you a few years.

When it comes to buying a new one, feel free to give me a nudge and I'll be happy to suggest a couple of options.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I've just placed one off these in my laptop (Crucial BX500). I also purchased a USB to SATA cable and used. Crucial also have a variation of Acronis which is as ideal for creating a clone of your drive. I had reinstalled windows beforehand a number of weeks ago which did speed up my laptop quite a bit as it had become painful, but nothing like this cheap and cheerful drive. So I'd recommend it

To make sure there is no glitches or funny business with this drive and your laptop, use their buying guide to make sure first. I also doubled the memory afterwards which only helps with loading programs, apart from that I cannot see any benefit after that since I install the extra memory.

Other areas to look at. Do a Microsoft drive clean (ensure you do not remove downloaded files you wish to keep) and if you have some errors which crash your laptop you could use the Microsoft error tool to see if you have a problem. If you do have an error and are unable to fix it, once you have cloned the drive, you should be able download the "Create Windows 10 Installation Media, Download Tool". If you have never done this before, do ask someone who you knows beforehand as things can go wrong very quickly if you don't know what you are doing and your laptop might stop working altogether

There are different options for installation and if you pick the wrong one, it will remove all your programs, you might need to ensure you have your laptop drivers saved on a separate USB key stick as I found my sound card drivers were missing (but usually its the networking ones that and then it all becomes a bit of a nightmare). As mine is an old laptop, so I had to use the windows 8 drivers which worked fine for windows 10 in my case.

If you do decide to reinstall windows, I cannot be held responsible if you do as you must be competent in this area to ensure things go well

Last edited:

rallychief

Have just done an in place win 10 pro reinstall using the create windows 10 installation media download tool, to cure an update error i couldn't fix any other way, it's all fairly straightforward, only thing i lost was my windows 7 games for win 10 which i reinstalled from a copy i keep in downloads, your slow running could be a win 10 issue, which a reinstall may fix,,i only use Malware Bytes Premium and Defender, for several years now with no problems, as has been said you are probably running to much anti virus malware etc, i am far from being a computer techie and am pretty old so don't be frightened to take it on.

Cheers Chris

Remember, if you are using a FREE anti-virus; You are the product!

Windows 10 has defender built in, unless you are going to shady sites, this is more than enough

Giraffe76

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies and definately gives me more to look into.

I went onto the crucial website through the link provided,did a scan and it said there was no system match found so does that mean i couldnt upgarde my laptop to a ssd drive at all or is it just for crucial?

Mark

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I expect it’ll just be a crucial SSD unless your HDD uses ata which is a very old connection now. The norm is sata and the newer M.2 slots

what’s the model number?

DavidG1

I went onto the crucial website through the link provided,did a scan and it said there was no system match found so does that mean i couldnt upgarde my laptop to a ssd drive at all or is it just for crucial?
I'm not sure which link you clicked/site you visited but if you click the link below, if necessary scroll back to the top, then click on the blue SSD icon it will take straight to the section on the crucial website where there are plenty of compatible drives.

I assume that you are looking at the UK website and your laptop is an Hp-14-an008na. TBH it is probably going to be simpler to take it to a local workshop and have the work done for you - especially if you have never stripped a laptop before

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Apple unveils MacBook Pros for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple launches third generation AirPods with spatial audio
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier