Why is my Denon 2900 CD playback so poor?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AndyDD, Aug 23, 2003.

1. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Could someone explain why my 2900's analogue o/p quality playing CDs is so poor compared to that of using the optical dig. o/p to my Sony amp.

Parts of system relevant...
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Sony STR-DB830 Amp
    Mission Cinema 7 Speakers
    Warfedale 15" Sub
    3 * QED Quenex 2 interconnects (6 analogue outputs to amp)

Set up 1.
    Amp set to 5.1 inputs (no EQ or surround effects being applied)

Set up 2.
    Amp set to digital input, 2 channel mode using just FL and FR speakers (no EQ, sub, or surround effects applied)

Set up 2 definatley sounds much 'fuller'. Even the wife when asked said the second sounded like it had more depth.

I've tried setting bass enhancer on the Denon to on to use the sub, and setting the speakers to 'small'.

I know the reviews said it wasn't a brilliant CD Player but I'm very disapointed as the salesman said it would be much better than my Technics CD player. I've ordered a couple of SACD's so hopefully will see the reason for spending so much £'s then.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. vc820

vc820
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy

Have you run your machine in yet? I've got a Denon DVD 2800 MK2 and it took a couple of hundred hours before it finally came on song. From new, CD's were almost unlistenable but it has gradually improved to a very good standard. Leave a CD running in your machine for a few days on repeat and then have another listen. I found that simply playing movies didn't fully burn in the CD playback circuits. You could try changing or upgrading your interconnects to something better. I'm using Russ Andrews Kimber Crystal CU with mine. I'm really pleased with the results.
    All the more expensive Denon DVD players are noted for their very good CD playback standards by DVD player standards. So you should be able to do better.

3. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    vc820, I've never heard of 'running in' any sort of electrical equipment before. We 'burn in' our Avionics equipment at work but I was under the impression that was to catch failures.

A DVD player @ £800 should be designed without this requirement IMO.

4. vc820

vc820
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AndyDD

Nearly all electronic equipment needs a break in period before it's electronics finally settle down. It may not matter with a toaster or a microwave oven as you are not listening to them but let me assure you most decent hi-fi or av components will benefit significantly after a good period of usage compared to when they first came out of the box. In my opinion the more expensive the item the more noticable the effect. I've had many componets in and out of my systems over the years and most have improved after a period of use. All magazine reviewers recognise this need, manufacturers recommend it and I feel more people than not have experianced this effect. All manufacturers do when the item is finished is test it to make sure it works and then ship it out. It's probably got no more than a few hours use under it's belt. That's why it is still common to have a new component go wrong or break down within the first few days. i.e. No soak testing. If the manufacturer had to soak test each component before dispatch the prices we pay now would be even higher. So I really do recommend to give your 2900 a little bit more time, if you haven't already done so.