Why is Motion Smoothing and Soap Opera an Issue in 2018?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by alistairgd, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:58 PM.

1. alistairgd

alistairgd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This has been bothering me for a while, and the latest publicity from Tom Cruise about motion blur and soap opera effect has brought this puzzle back to me.

A year ago I nearly spent £3k on the Sony AF8. I decided though, to keep my 9 year old LG plasma telly - as it really is a great picture even though it was only about £500 new when I bought it.

This plasma is great for movies and great for sport, the football looks exactly like a ball should, and movies look great.

However, apparently even 4 figure high end tellys need to have their settings adjusted to suit what you are watching, or else suffer visual consequences.

My daughter bought a mid range samsung telly (about £500 I think), and I took the opportunity to quickly look at a football game - it was absolutely horrific - the football had two half moons following it about.

So my question is, is there really no telly today that can match a 9 year old inexpensive plasma for all round display quality?

With a supplementary question, if these issues are a byproduct of LCD/LED tellys, can someone remind me why plasmas died out?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 10:04 PM
  2. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Sports look quite significantly better on my AF8 than they ever did on my old top-end Panasonic plasma. Friends & family have concurred (..although a few probably just nodded along).

Smooth motion, minimal artifacting. I guess I have to disagree with you..

3. alistairgd

alistairgd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey Tim, happy to be disagreed with, I'm ready to drop a wedge on a new TV if I can be convinced that it surpassses what I have at home now.

Shop display TVs only EVER show football in slow motion though, so your view is most welcome - and reassuring.

The price drop in the AF8 over the last year was remarkable so I might still go for one.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    The usual issue, bandwidth. It'd be wonderful to have everything recorded in 100fps and encoded in a high bitrate so there's no artefacts etc.

However, the infrastructure to deliver it just isn't there yet, and the TV industry marketing machine keeps pushing pointless resolution hikes instead of focusing on more effective improves vs. bandwidth.