• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

why is Lt/Rt the default selection?

smilenight

Novice Member
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/a-guide-to-dolby-metadata.pdf

In this Dolby document, it reads "Lt/Rt is the default selection in all consumer decoders(© 2005 Dolby Laboratories, Inc.)."

However, I think, for almost all home audio, when consumer wants just 2 channels, it must be Lo/Ro. Can anyone explain?

On the same Dolby document, it reads as follows.

"The Lo/Ro downmix adds the Left and Right Surround channels discretely to the Left and Right speaker channels, respectively. This preserves the stereo separation for stereo-only monitoring and produces a mono-compatible signal.(© 2005 Dolby Laboratories, Inc.)"

TomScrut

I know that when down mixing with my Oppo I prefer the L/R stereo down mix rather than the Lt/Rt, because I only run stereo. I presume its the default setting so that people who don't understand what it is still get the embedded surround channels and that it also makes use of their technology. But I definitely agree that you want to be using the stereo down mix rather than the Lt/Rt mix. But I could be wrong! Could be to do with the way the speaker fires diagonally across the room that it makes it almost like virtual surround with the channels cross mixed.

smilenight

Novice Member
I found a standalone DAC that does L/R stereo rather than Lt/Rt. It is Fiio D07.

Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA, MuxLab 500088, and Wyrestorm EXP-CON-DAC-D do Lt/Rt Dolby down mix.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom