Why is it trying to connect all the time?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by minimivic, Jul 7, 2001.

1. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

Another PC problem :confused:
    Has anyone got any ideas why My HTPC keeps trying to connect to the Internet all the time, It caused a stutter when it tries.
    I am running a 1.1Ghz athlon on Abit KT7A-Raid board, G-Force 2 GTs Pro Graphics, Sonic fury sound card, D-link 530tx network card for lan and 56K rockwell internal modem. Windows ME, Microsoft outlook 2000 and Btinternet are the only software relevent.
    Also when connected to lan the system hangs trying to access other PC's.
    I've tried all the usual settings but there must be something I'm over looking.

Thanks

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,543
    Well if you've got any software open which needs to access the internet, like outlook and your internet connection is set to 'connect sutomatically', then it will.
    Edit the properties of the connection in Dialup Networking and turn automatic connection off.

3. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Spectre,

Its not quite as simple as that, The internet dial up box just appears when booted and every 10 mins or so, not that regular sometimes and more often others.
    I've tried all the normal things but I want to stop this dialup running in the background. Its not automatically dialing just bringing up the option to
    :mad: .
    Hope someone can help

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I think that you misunderstood Spectre, in dialup networking there is a user settings and for each dialup entry you can set it to auto or not. You need to untick each entry to stop your problem.

Jeff

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,543
    Ok, here's the solution for your dedicated HCPC.
    Take out the Modem and use it in a different PC. If you need to regularly dump files onto your HCPC like MP3s or whatever, buy a £12 hard disk removable bay thingy and a hard disk for you to transfer files from a different PC.
    Also reformat the hard disk and install the 4 or 5 different bits of software you need to run your system.
    Not having the modem in your system can't hurt it in terms of ****e cluttering up windoze.
    Simplicity has got to be the key for HCPCs.