Question Why is it so hard to find a device that will do Netflix and stream from my NAS?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Shaitan00, Apr 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shaitan00

Shaitan00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been shopping for a few weeks now and I know there are all these reviews and guides for "picking the right player" but they really all seem to revolve around picture & sound - while all that is super important for most people I am just looking for something to give me usable netflix and NAS streaming.

I had a basic little WD TV Live (cost me $100 CDN at Costco a few years back) and it did exactly what I needed:
    - Netflix worked perfectly (even the handy remote had the start/stop/pause keys to make life easy for the kids)
    - My NAS (WD MyBookLive) was accessible in 3 remote button presses and could play all my MKV's, my home movies, etc... (never an issue)

Now sadly my WD has left this world (thanks son for smashing it on the ground ...) and I am looking for an equivalent (or better) replacement.

I first wanted the Roku but the fact that I need a seperate Plex Server was a huge turn-off. Then the Google Play (no longer sold in Canada). Took me a while but I thought the WeTek Core would be suitable, 2x the price of what I paid for my WD and air-mouse but seemed like a good compromise (and this still might happen - but the Canadian reseller seems to be having issues). Then I jumped to the NVIDIA SHIELD, seems like it can do everything I want (real beast)... for 4x the price (because essentially I am buying a gaming console - which I don't need/want) and a controller instead of a remote (could get used to that)

So I am left with WeTek Core (if I can ever get my hands on one) or NVIDIA Shield (and get a 2nd mortgage on my house)...
    Wife and kids have come to terms with maybe needing to use an air-mouse ...
    Wife doesn't want 2 boxes (1 for netflix like a Roku and one for NAS) but honestly this may be the best and cheapest answer ... get a Roku (Netflix) and some cheap chinese knock-off Android box for my NAS ...

And now I am taking a last stab to see if maybe someone out there has a better suggestion ... I just want something to replace my 4 year old WD TV Live and give me the same features and usability for a similar price - or as close to that as today offers.

If you made it this far thanks for reading my non-sensical rant ... but my wife is going nuts having to get up to pause her FRIENDS on netflix off the laptop I connected to the TV :)

Any comments, hints, help, suggestions would be great ...

2. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I might be wrong, but I thought any android media player could play netflix, & a media player with kodi could stream from a nas.
    So get a android media player & install the Kodi app.

3. Shaitan00

Shaitan00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not wrong ... but Android Media players use Android OS (not Android TV) so it is all touch-screen based, kind of crappy Netflix usability - and unless I am wrong but only certain manufacturers can play Netflix HD (need to be on Netflix approval list or something) like WeTek, WD (before), Shield, Roku, Fire, etc... a normal box can only play iNET quality ...

That being said many boxes are crap ... would you have one to suggest?

4. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I don't know the difference between Android os or Android TV. I'm not sure why you think it is all touch-screen. Surely most devices are in the logitech harmony database & can be controlled by a Logitech remote.
    I cannot recommend a box, I was looking at a couple of media players before I ordered the Nvidia Shield.

futeko MiniMX Android - futeko.com - High Performance Media Box. Android Box, Kodi Box, Mini-HTPC. UK Based.

HiMedia Q10 Pro - futeko.com - High Performance Media Box. Android Box, Kodi Box, Mini-HTPC. UK Based.

5. Shaitan00

Shaitan00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Android is touch-screen driven, Android TV is d-pad (remote) for easy use with a remote (customized for a TV which is not touch-screen) - main difference (sure there are many others as well).

So you are happy with the Shield ... I am leaning towards that as well now ... But the Amazing Fire TV seems to be pretty similar - ever compared?

6. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I am expecting delivery of the shield from scan tomorrow. I had considered the Fire tv, then I was looking at the two in the links above.

I don't really need a media player, I have a nuc with openelec.

7. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Amazon Fire with Kodi, watching a movie from my NAS on it right now.

8. Shaitan00

Shaitan00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds amazing - but as far as I know the Fire TV isn't supported in Canada (sadly) ... I was just getting all excited over that option as well.

9. Steroc

Steroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,235
    How about a PS3? That's what I use and covers just about every streaming service going, easy to use interface. Plays Blurays. Pretty much an all in one solution. And are available pretty cheap second hand.