• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why is Gmail is Beta ?

F1Fan72

Prominent Member
Now I've been using gmail for years, The question is why does it still say beta ? surely they still can't be Beta-ing ?

edwardtickle

Established Member
I have been wondering about this as well, as it has been there for a long time and things only normally beta for a few months.

F1Fan72

Prominent Member
Does seem strange ? Its either that our they have forgotten to remove the Beta under 'Google Mail' :confused:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Email them and ask

mrm3

Established Member
Not sure why still beta.

Google have a policy to let their staff build anything they want one day a week.

Gmail was the result of one staff members output as is google calendar !
Though presumably these are not 1 man day a week operations now. Gmail through the iphone is great too.

Though Facebook are now stealing (brain draining) google's staff.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Don't think gmail is still beta. I remember when it was a proper beta and you had to be invited to use it and at the time it had 1GB of storage which was huge as Hotmai/Yahoo only had like 100MB. Took me ages to get an invite! Heck I remember when I joined yahoo mail and I had 15MB of email storage :cool:

williemaykit

Established Member
warranty.. if its a full blown 1.0 release, it makes them liable whereas if it is classed a beta product, you accept it warts and all and it therefore removes the liability if something goes wrong

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom