1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is everyone talking "Panny 700" ??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thepostman, Nov 12, 2004.

1. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Made the decision to drop my loyalty to my Panny 100 and get the Hitachi Pj-Tx-100, then found out the 700 was coming out .....now all i am hearing is VB everywhere ,my advice if the 700 is on your list look at the Hitachi it's a gem and yes i have a friend who went for the 700 before my choice and to say he is disapointed is an understatement....the icing on the cake is its £900!! :D

2. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £900!?!

Where from? Cheapest I've managed to find it was £995. I certainly might go for it at that price.

BTW: I agree with you about the panasonic 700, I was very dissappointed with the streaky image when I saw one.

3. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the Panasonic is the best option for lots of us, none of the other projectors are as flexible :rolleyes:

By the way I am still very happy with mine, as my VB is minimal but like everyone else I imagine we are trying to get the best out of it, and the ebst way to do that is to discuss it with other owners. And surely that's what this place was intended for???

4. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darwock in what way is the 700 more flexible than my Hitachi??? :confused:

5. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't use the Hitachi in my small room as I am sitting barely over 1x the screen distance away, and as far as I know it has none of the smoothing processes to eliminate screen door (panasonic only innovation?)

6. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panny has 2x zoom range compared to the Hitachi's 1.6x

Horizontal Lens shift is 50% screen width on the Panny and 25% on the Hitachi.

So the panny is more flexible in terms of placement but to be honest I've messed around with the lens shift and my friends 700 and I wouldn't use it since the image become misconverged. Zoom is very good on 700 though.

Also you never answered my question about the tx100 being available for £900, I assume that you were wrong?

7. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apologies Zero X it is £995 but still a steal without the dreaded VB.......... :)
    yeah also see your point on lens shift not every one needs this but still valid, interestingly i use lens shift approx 4ft over horizontal with no change in image?? :)

8. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darwoch apologies but you say the Panasonic has smooth screen to eliminate VB so it doesnt work then !!and lets not beat around the bush my 100 had this technology it was called manually slightly de-focus the image!!!
    Strange that hitachi or the highly rated Z3 hasn't got this amazing technology that doest work....try crystal clear image technology without the need to merge pixels......apologies for this but flog your 700 it will only bug you and bug you until you can tweak no more....interestingly my mate has a 300 with smooth screen tech and he even says it seem slightly de-focused.....i think a great thread would be ...be honest if you purchased without a demo??

:hiya:

9. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read again - smooth screen is for screen door, it's got nothing to do with VB.

10. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    screen door VB where does it end??...............face it you have got a projector that intodays market at that price is unacceptable as another person said on a 700 VB issue thread bite the bullet and sell it you won't rest until you do no matter how much you tweak it won't go away and the more you look the more you will see.......

11. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,007
    Why sell it?If it's a major problem they should be returned and sorted.Paying £1300 for ae700 with very bad VB is not exceptable.People should contact there retailers and find out what they are prepaired to do about it.

P.S postman you still haven't said where you got it for £900

12. triumphtiger

triumphtiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your image get misconverged when using the lens shift, then you should flog your pj ;)
    You're sure we're not talking about keystone here?
    I have the Z3 and there's absolutely no change to the image when using the lens shift.

13. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er... the point is there is NO screen door. Only the Panasonic AE500 and AE700 can boast that fact when viewed from close viewing distances.

(Where's the troll smiley?)

14. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No misconvergence on mine either. Whats with all the random people telling us to sell our 700s? People looking for cheap deals maybe? lol

15. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darwock we are talking about VB issues on your 700 quite frankly the reason i haven't brought up screen door is i have never seen it and if it was apparent belive me i would notice it ,i may be too interested for once in watching a fantastic image...so obviously the Hitachi and Z3 don't need to advertise sreendoor technology put simply Z3 and Hitachi owners on the whole are ignorant to these problems, it is near utopia..... :rotfl:

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,007
    Where from,are you going to answer? :cool:

17. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read back a couple of posts..... :blush:

18. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, great advice
    :rolleyes: Except...

I don't own a projector! :laugh:

I was referring to general experience with a friends Panny 700 - use the lens shift and the RGB components of the image becomes misconverged by around 2 or 3 pixels at the extreme ends of adjustment. VB or streaking as I call it is not acceptable, I mean would you buy a TV and put up with this kind of artifact? For me I would never consider the 700 because of the lottery issue over VB. Some people even report that a seemingly good machine can develop VB overnight and vice-versa. This just doesn't happen on other machines and I know for a fact that the tx100 has a massive amount of options in the service menu to eliminate VB very easily from looking at posts all over the web. You can even eliminate shading easily.

This is noticable and annoying, in the end he made compromises and didn't use the lens shift at all. So that's the lens shift buggered on the panny - at least for me.

I agree with others that the tx100 is the better machine, colour for a start has more snap and the blacks are around the same.

19. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no allegence to any machine, I'm just reporting what I've seen so far.

I plan to make a purchase soon enough but would like to hold out until I've seen the Sony HS50 and the Mits HC900.

20. Lurks

Lurks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It strikes me, as a newcomer to projectors and with the 700 being my entry in this bright and shiny new world, that your best bet is to purchase from an online store and if you are unhappy - avail yourself of the distance selling regulations and return it.

Doubly the case because it seems pot luck if you get the dreaded VB on the panny 700. I appear to have got lucky and I vastly prefer the resolution of this over the DLP projectors I looked at. 3/4 of the time I'm looking at a computer screen.

21. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The TX100 was very much on my list of possible first-time projectors, but the positioning flexibility of the AE700 knocked it off top spot. The longer throw of the AE700 means I can position it on a ledge on the back wall, whereas with the TX100 I'd have been looking at ceiling mounting above the sofa (not ideal, and the missus much prefers the projector on a ledge at the back!).

And I'm perfectly happy with the picture quality I'm getting from my AE700. The whole VB thing has been blown out of proportion, IMO. Have I seen it? Only at startup, and then only on non-digital inputs. Fed HDMI from my PC, I'm getting a stunning picture and stutter-free films at 24fps, and that's a nirvana I never thought I'd achieve for a tad over £1,300!:)