Question Why is E9 brighter than C9 ?

Tegs200

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the E9 is slightly different or is it just because of the picture on glass design? All the reviews have the C9 at 780 nits and the E9 at 790 with one review giving it 840 nits on a 20% window in HDR , ALL I can think of is it's the screen.

Anyone ? It could be that they are the same but why 780 against 790 , one of you experts should know.

That's a fair point and could be but I've looked at 3 different reviews on each and they all say 780 C9 and 790 E9
Maybe it was the same 2 sets being reviewed ,It happens , 10 nits between sets is nothing

Maybe it was the same 2 sets being reviewed ,It happens , 10 nits between sets is nothing

Maybe but that would be a real long shot to keep sending the same 2 sets to all the reviewers , I think It could be something to do with the picture on glass but could be wrong.

Maybe but that would be a real long shot to keep sending the same 2 sets to all the reviewers , I think It could be something to do with the picture on glass but could be wrong.
It certainly isn’t a long shot , it’s what manufactures do ,however 10 nits difference is hardly significant ,and could even be accounted for by different test gear etc

It certainly isn’t a long shot , it’s what manufactures do ,however 10 nits difference is hardly significant ,and could even be accounted for by different test gear etc

Hi and yes I know all of that but the odds for 3-4 different review companies all to have the same outcome is interesting.

Hi and yes I know all of that but the odds for 3-4 different review companies all to have the same outcome is interesting.
These TV's are expensive and you'll notice several places take weeks, months even to get a review up. I don't think AVforums have the C9/E9 done just yet either.

This presumably is because a single review sample is doing the rounds between many UK publications, and they all probably want at least 1-2 weeks with the set to test in their home environment.

These TV's are expensive and you'll notice several places take weeks, months even to get a review up. I don't think AVforums have the C9/E9 done just yet either.

This presumably is because a single review sample is doing the rounds between many UK publications, and they all probably want at least 1-2 weeks with the set to test in their home environment.

Ok fair enough but even if its the same 2 sets being used with different equiptment then it is still possible that for some reason the E9 reads higher.

Last edited:
Ok fair enough but even if its the same 2 sets being used with different equiptment then it is still possible that for some reason the E9 reads higher.
Possibly, but as someone else mentioned, it's likely just panel variance. The C9 could just as easily be a little brighter if you were to buy and compare it to an E9.

Variance aside, all 2019 OLED panels will be technically the same. The difference typically just comes down to inbuilt speaker configuartion and more premium design, such as picture-on-glass.

The GZ2000 seems like it may be an exception to this, with whatever the hell tinkering Panasonic are doing with the panels.

Possibly, but as someone else mentioned, it's likely just panel variance. The C9 could just as easily be a little brighter if you were to buy and compare it to an E9.

Variance aside, all 2019 OLED panels will be technically the same. The difference typically just comes down to inbuilt speaker configuartion and more premium design, such as picture-on-glass.

The GZ2000 seems like it may be an exception to this, with whatever the hell tinkering Panasonic are doing with the panels.

Yes it could be but in all the reviews it's not , every review gives the same outcome with the only speculation being that it must be the same 2 sets with panel variation in the E9 favour but none actually saying there could be something in it , maybe I just need some E9 owners thoughts but I still think that with different reviewers using different testing equiptment and all coming up with the same outcome is odd.

Yes it could be but in all the reviews it's not , every review gives the same outcome with the only speculation being that it must be the same 2 sets with panel variation in the E9 favour but none actually saying there could be something in it , maybe I just need some E9 owners thoughts but I still think that with different reviewers using different testing equiptment and all coming up with the same outcome is odd.
I think you are over thinking the whole thing

1) panel variance, they can range up to 50 nits differences I’ve seen on same sets.

2) you would never notice 10 nits

3) this is a non issue and you are way overthinking this. This difference is measured at peak brightness and you never watch tv at full peak brightness so it’s just a measurement and 10 nits is irrelevant.

Look at rtings burn-in test peak measurements. Not only is there a big difference (more than 100 nits) between the 6 TVs even though they're all a C7 but even the exact same TV can vary quite a bit from one measurement session to the next.
Oleds are very unstable when measuring HDR peak brightness and then there is also panel variance.

real-burn-in-hdr-10-large.jpg

Look at rtings burn-in test peak measurements. Not only is there a big difference (more than 100 nits) between the 6 TVs even though they're all a C7 but even the exact same TV can vary quite a bit from one measurement session to the next.
Oleds are very unstable when measuring HDR peak brightness and then there is also panel variance.

real-burn-in-hdr-10-large.jpg

Ok and I know 10 nits is nothing but still like to start a good debate going with the C9 owners lol , so you are 11actually saying that my tv could even be 100 nits more than the 790 they say so I could have a nearly 900 nit tv :) .

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom