Why is DVD recording so complicated?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Jul 21, 2005.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    I have just purchased my first DVD recorder, a Pioneer 530. Overall I am impressed. However, I do believe that the whole set up appears to be somewhat quirky because of issues such as the differences between VR mode and Video mode.

For example, if you record in Video mode then edit points are not frame accurate. However, if you do record in VR mode edit points are accurate but you lose the ability to use high speed copy to DVD. Also in Video mode each title can only contain one aspect ratio so long recordings with adverts in different aspect ratios get split into multiple titles which you then have to individually select before you can copy to DVD. (This is useful for editing out the ads.) The Pioneer has the ability to automatically set chapter points in a recording every N minutes. However, this is ONLY used when recording from HDD to DVD in real time when for some reason any manual chapter points you put in would have been lost. (The edit points are maintained in high speed copy??) Chapter points are not auto inserted in any other recording.

I feel that I am reasonably AV savvy (and I have recorded/edited DVDs on a PC) but the whole process on a set top DVD recorder seems somewhat idiosyncratic. I’m certain that someone like my parents would never work out how to use it. (They use a Thomson PVR instead.)

Is it just Pioneer that has these issues or is the problem the underlying difference between Video and VR modes, HDD and DVD recording, etc? Does all the complexity come from having a single box with so many features?

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,858
    I've recently bought a Panasonic E85 & agree wholeheartedly. Having worked with PCs for 20 years I'm still struggling with what can be recorded & when.

It appears that the best results are obtained by only recording to hard disk on a Tuesday afternoon with a prevailing Easterly wind. You should then ritually slaughter a chicken & spread it's entrails on the kitchen table. If you stare at the pattern formed by the entrails & concentrate really, really hard (like one of those "magic" pictures), you may learn the secrets of editing your recording. When you want to transfer to DVD, write a note to the God of Dubbing detailing exactly want you want on the DVD including chapters & dubbing speed. Finally, post this note up the chimney while simultaneously throwing 5 blank disks onto the fire. If you've been a good boy & the Dubbing God is in a good mood, he may accept your sacrifice of blank disks in exchange for a finalised DVD that vaguely resembles what you hoped for.

Then again, he is very busy with similar requests....

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    DVD recorder is far too complicated - having seven different DVDR formats doesn't help and the fact you have VR mode and Video mode complicates it further. I'd say things will get simple when BluRay arrives - but with three different types of single layer BluRay disc (not to mention HD DVD!) - it's not.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    I always feel that we are very restricted because of the usable size of DVDs at the moment, so am looking forward to the new formats when they arrive which will give us far more capacity per DVD. I imagine that with BluRay you will be able to record a lot more in top quality mode per disc :)