Why is a centre speaker needed?

R

Richard Barham

Couldn't find an answer to this with a couple of searches, but I hope this is the correct place to pose this question.

Can anyone offer an explanation of why the centre speaker in a 5-channel setup is regarded as being so important or even necessary?

Surely a well set up pair of L and R speaker of reasonable quality should be capable of re-creating a satisfactory stereo image. This would also overcome the problem of siting the centre speaker, which except for projection systems, has always to be a compromise (i.e. it has to go above or below the screen).

Not actually having had experience of 5-channel systems so far, I wonder if I'm missing a crucial point.

Thanks

Basically the c channel pins the speach to the vision device so you don't have a picture in the the middle say and speach coming out the far left speaker. This just sounds odd. It is particularly important is you are not sitting in the sweet spot, i.e. off to one side. Also don't forget perhaps 75% of movie info is coming from the c channel. It is therefore VERY important to have a speaker that can cope. Unfortunately some people run in phantom mode (no c) or use a small c channel. Both are mistake IMHO (for all you TLA fans). The c channel is worth investing in.

Centre channel completely unnecessary in most domestic setups. Fact.

HTH,

Mike.

Originally posted by Flimber
Mike.
I strongly disagree.

The most active channel in a multi channel home cinema set up is the LFE channel. After this its Centre, Left and Right main equally, followed by the surrounds.
In a typical sub sat set-up, most >80hz info is from the centre channel. One of the most important things to remember is that ideally, the centre speaker needs to be identical to the main L/R.
I get a lot of stick from folks who for many reasons have not or cannot go with this but I always ask them to stop and think.
When buying a stereo pair, would they accept a mismatch as in two different speakers. I think not.

Centre channel (or lack of it) has been discussed on various threads at length, here is an interesting one started up by our very own Dom H.

To save my typing finger, I've commented at length in this thread just why the centre speaker is so crucial

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48855&highlight=centre

Originally posted by Flimber

HTH,

Mike.

I had a quick check of old post and unfortunately this is just one of many similar rubbish / meaniless / pointless / wrong answers Mike has given. I have had one post deleted already this week for saying what I thought without $ and * judiciously placed so I think it is best summed up by Eric.

The above post is rubbish AND is NOT fact. :(

I would be happy to do without a centre speaker for stereo, prologic or 4.1 sound. Pity most of my DVDs are 5.1 DD or DTS. Phantom centre mode on my Denon A1SE is pants.

One of the most important things to remember is that ideally, the centre speaker needs to be identical to the main L/R.
I get a lot of stick from folks who for many reasons have not or cannot go with this but I always ask them to stop and think.
When buying a stereo pair, would they accept a mismatch as in two different speakers. I think not.

Eric,

I think you'll find that most people wouldn't dispute this in absolute terms.
What they (me inc) most probably disagree with is any inference that you can't get good results UNLESS you have identical speakers across the front.

That sure was a fun one! :p

To sum up my thoughts on the topic Richard I said I thought running without a centre speaker is preferable to using IMO inferior, mismatching dedicated centres. No one seemed to come up with a valid argument (unless I missed it) as to why dedicated centres are necessary (apart from off axis listening)

I can't comment on matching speakers across the front as the sheer impracticality of it prevents me from trying it. This is probably the best solution thinking about it. Phantom and dedicated centres are BOTH a compromise, dedicated being by far the biggest.

Originally posted by MikeK
Eric,
I think you'll find that most people wouldn't dispute this in absolute terms.
What they (me inc) most probably disagree with is any inference that you can't get good results UNLESS you have identical speakers across the front.
I think you're nit picking as usual here Mike.

Good(depending on where you sit and other factors) but better (all things being equal) with a centre channel.

Originally posted by Dom H
No one seemed to come up with a valid argument (unless I missed it) as to why dedicated centres are necessary
I really don't know why I bother sometimes.

Originally posted by Dom H
I was really dissapointed with Blade 2's soundtrack. I could hear the surrounds for practically the whole film. Dialogue was poor also.

Dum de dum de dum la la la. Should I rest my case. I think I will.

Eric

What I meant was in terms of identical vs non-identical centre, not centre vs no centre. On that issue I agree with you! :)

EDIT
On reread, even that's not clear ;)

I should of course have said "in terms of identical vs not quite identical" centre :)

if the centre channel is so 'pointless' why have 5.1? the centre channel is vital for 'locking' the dialogue to the action (ie the screen).

this whole 'why use a centre channel' argument confuses me a little, it almost seems as though some people have a problem with multi-channel (ie 5.1) sources, if you want to listen to a stereo source through two speakers then fine but for 5.1 and above mixes the centre is pretty much the most important channel.

eric's preference of having the front three speakers match just seems like common sense to me, and as he has already said a front (l/c/r) pan would sound odd if the the sound changed as it moved through the centre channel because of the centre's different tonal qualities. Personally I will be going for the same speakers all round as the same applies to rear-to-front pans IMO.

A dedicated centre channel is as intrinsically vital in a 5.1 set-up as a left speaker is to a right speaker (or vice versa) in a two-channel, stereo set-up.

Both will work (ie, you'll hear something) without the other but you won't be hearing what was intended for you to hear.

You think state of the art cinemas run sound in stereo stacks either side of the screen and with some kind of 'phantom' or 'virtual surround' mode engaged? :rolleyes:

Dum de dum de dum la la la. Should I rest my case. I think I will.
Dum de dum de dum don't get your point eric, so I thought Blade 2 had a poor soundtrack.

Now Panic Room on the other hand has a fantastic mix, crisp dialog, subtle surround effects and good use of the LFE.

The point is Dom that Blade actually has a great soundtrack with good clean dialogue. But you wouldn't know that as you've thrown that into the blender to be liquidized.

I have, as most people, (I guess), a lesser center speaker, not bad, but not as good as the front speakers...

I find that for CDs, using DPLII, I prefer to play without center channel, but for 5.1 sources, it always is better with it on... And I mean seating on the sweet spot... If you want to have a decent sound stage in a wider area, then the center is a must...

I also agree that three identical speakers is the best solution, unless you use satellites, where, I think, a larger center might be better for movies...

But, again as most people, I cannot place any speaker on, or underneath the TV, for starters mine are not shielded... And there isn´t a center matching mine... :(

Anyway, after much searching, and testing, I found a very good center that matches "exactly" the timbre of my other speakers... Its on order... :cool:

you listen to CDs through prologic2 with the centre turned off? surely stereo would be a MUCH better option.

And satellites are one of the easiest ways of getting matching speakers all the way round. guess it comes down to how good your sats are tho.

The point is Dom that Blade actually has a great soundtrack with good clean dialogue. But you wouldn't know that as you've thrown that into the blender to be liquidized.
<slaps head> Doh! While I'm here can you tell me what I'll think of the star wars ep2 soundtrack, I'm renting it later, will I like it?

Are you being sarcastic??

Don't take the **** mate, Eric is very helpful / knowledgable.

Dave

Just my £1.58's worth.

With the advent of some top draw DSP parameters available on todays processors, i'd hate to be without a centre channel.
When they are done right.....they are terrific.

I love the centre for movies.

I also love my centre for music duties too.
I'm not suggesting this of anyone on here.....
This is a general point.
I still think there are some die-hard-no-going-anywhere-front-left-front-right-bog standard-stereo- types about...and will be for a while.....

I love my 2 channel stereo.....but i also love these wonderful DSP
weapons which we have at our grubby mits, which enable us to hear different tricks from those techie wizzards.....

Long live the centre ground...

Adzman.

James,

Maybe you should try DPLII with you CDs before you comment... Well, I don´t know your system, maybe you better not... ;)

Originally posted by Lowrider
James,

Maybe you should try DPLII with you CDs before you comment... Well, I don´t know your system, maybe you better not... ;)

I have (otherwise i wouldn't have commented:rolleyes: )... along with Neo6 and circle surround and while DPL2 is light years ahead of the other two it still sounds terrible compared to stereo. Stereo was meant to be played through two channels and no dsp I have yet heard compares to straight stereo for CD music sources, dvd-a and sacd is another story tho.

IMO somewhat useless opinion I think musically speaking, the effect of a 3D soundstage created by PLII can be accomplished with only 2, well setup speakers. On the other hand complex 3D panning effects etc used in films are practically impossible to achieve with only 2 speakers.

I find this only possible with the higher quality sources such as CD, radio & tv still benfit from the PL decoding.

TV - Much better in PLII, especially if dolby surround encoded
Anologue Radio - 2ch doesn't create much depth, PLII preferable
Digital Radio - 2ch sounds better, sufficient depth/ambience
CD - 2ch all the way, PLII muddles the sound
DVD - 4.1 obviously!! :D

Looks like I disturbed a ratttle snake by posing the original question and it seems like the answers to my question were already dealt with in the thread that Eric kindly pointed me towards (thank you Eric).

Can I just ask one more thing of those that are using a centre speaker. Is its position relative to the screen critical? Can you tell for example whether the speaker is on top or underneath the display (without looking of course). Does placing the centre speaker on the floor produce acceptable results (thinking of a plasma installation here)?

(Hope this has not already been discussed, since my success with searching the forum has been poor so far!)

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom