Why is a BFD the best for sub EQing?

Mroizouk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell me why the popular BFD is the best product to use to tame your bass frequencies? Is it because you can specify all of its bands of PEQ to be in the sub-bass range rather than just buying a different PEQ designed for full-range sound and only the 1 or 2 of its bands dedicated to bass?

Will a BFD be loads more useful that a single-band PEQ as included, for example, on SVS ultras?

any help would be appreciated.

ALSO... the BFD's bandwidth is specified as 20hz-20khz. Does this it mean it will cut the signal off below 20hz, or just that it can have no effect on these frequencies?

cheers!

Mroizouk said:
Hi

Can anyone tell me why the popular BFD is the best product to use to tame your bass frequencies? Is it because you can specify all of its bands of PEQ to be in the sub-bass range rather than just buying a different PEQ designed for full-range sound and only the 1 or 2 of its bands dedicated to bass?
Who said it was the best, it more than likely is for the money.
Mroizouk said:
Will a BFD be loads more useful that a single-band PEQ as included, for example, on SVS ultras?
I will be better than a single band if you need to tame more than one peak.

Mroizouk said:
ALSO... the BFD's bandwidth is specified as 20hz-20khz. Does this it mean it will cut the signal off below 20hz, or just that it can have no effect on these frequencies?

cheers!
The bfd only effects the frequencies you program it too.I can remember reading that it was tested to below 10hz with no effect on the input signal, it certenly as no effect at 18hz were i have tested myself.

As bob1 has said, the BFD is good because it is cheap (under £100) but it is not the best as it is a real pain to set up.
Within a couple of months there will be a new kid on the block in the shape of the Velodyne SMS-1 but that is likely to cost £300-£400 (price not yet set for the UK) as in the USA it will sell for $450.
More details on the SMS-1 can be found Here

Mark.

Fair play. I said 'best' I guess because it's so widely used and well known on these forums. I can certainly pick one up cheaply, which is a good thing! I just wondered if it was better for subs or something because of its popularity.
The BFD will definately let you have a few bands of EQ inside normal subwoofer operating frequencies, will it? Are there any similar products anyone could reccomend?

You can't go wrong with a bfd , i doubt you get anything as good for twice the money.
You can control upto 12 different frequecies at one time with 10 memories so you can switch between diffent settings to suit the mood.
I can't help with any other peq's as i only ever heard of the bfd and the ones that svs sell.

Mroizouk said:
Hi

any help would be appreciated.

cheers!

IMO I believe the reason for its popularity is because it works, is affordable, and Sonnie Parkers excellent site made the setting up of them relatively easy for owners.

If you set wide filters down at 20Hz it will affect frequencies below 20Hz to the limit of the filter set, although most users don't want any attenuation below 20Hz as they want all the SPL's they can get in that range.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom