Why in 2022 Oculus will try to break back into PCVR a second time.

Atmos

First off this is not a rant about 'evil' FB but a rational why I think FB will come back to the PCVR arena in 2022. Just a straight up observation on my part.

In 2022 things are going to change forever. We already know two major players coming out with headsets bidding for global domination. The first is Apples £1000 VR HMD. Apple rivals Oculus in unlimited funds. It's iOS, Store and manufacturing capability is second to none. Yes I own an Iphone. Apple have their own M1 chip which is small, efficient and powerfull enough to rival any Qualcomm based HMD.

Second, Sony with their newly announced PSVR headset. We know it has a tether to take full advantage of the power of the PS5. But it could also support wireless or a second HMD from Sony could support wireless. All the technology from their cameras, TV, consoles is their.

Third is Valve. The Index is nearly 2 years old now, so if we dont see an Index 1.5 in 2021 you can bet your life we'll see a full 2.0 in 2022. Valve will support standalones sooner rather than later.

Then theirs HTC who semi announced a new HMD for 2021 but then went quiet. They're working on 5G wireles technology.

Then.................there's the likes of Samsung, LG and then all the smaller companies recently announcing HMD's over the next couple of years.

So why this thread? Well Oculus have done well with the Quest2. It's the best standalone for its price. Well for any price because FB want to gain as many users to their platform as possible if they're to stand any chance of survival when other (see above) join in with standalones of their own.

What has this got to do with PCVR then?

For years my rational has been FB could not compete long term with Valve or Steam when it came to VR. I said FB should just give up on PCVR altogether and concentrate on Standalones. Low and behold they did. Rift died. Rift-S died. Oculus PCVR excluives pretty much died. No mention of PCVR at all from OC. No new excluives. It was all about Quest and Quest2. Yahoo they got the message. Oculus are close to the point of sustainability, but not yet.

Now it's 2021. How will the VR lanscape look in 2022? Why would Oculus need PCVR at all?

Oculuses strengths have been, price lower than anyone else because they don't need to profit from hardware.
Buy or create exclusives because that's the part of the course when it comes to the gaming world.
Fast hardware iterations staying ahead of the competition. This business model has worked for Oculus over the last 5 years. While PSVR had died a slow death it was out of date before it was released. No consumer PCVR HMD has taken full advantage of PC's bleeding edge technology. Headsets that could blow us away like StarVR and Xtal are too expensive for us mere consmers. Pimax with it's 8KX is not worthy of our money. So we need a company to step it up.

Everything is about to change.

Oculus have already announced Quest 3 and 4 for 2022. So the lines in the sand have been drawn. So why does Oculus need PCVR at all?

Sony will be making huge strides with PS5 sales and launching and low cost HMD to go with it will take major sales away from the Quest3. If a consumer's faced with a choice of Quest3 or PSVR2 I would seriously side with PSVR2. It will have a bigger user base, better graphics, better games and no FB login. More countries could side with Germany and ban FB logins across the EU. China and Austraia. Valve 'could' have a rival platform setup to support any Standalone that supports OpenXR. This means Valve would have two prongs of attack while Oculus would have to open up the Quest platform to OpenXR and allow rival Stores. This would take away FBs price advantage as they would be selling cheap HMDs for nothing while Steam and other rival stores reaped the benefits.

So FB would be forced to resurrect their PCVR ambitions with more exclusives especially if Microsoft support OpenXR HMDs on the Xbox series X and drops WMR.

2022 will be the rebirth of VR. Apple, Sony, Valve, MS, HP, HTC will all have great stores, great controllers, great resolution, great everything, only FB will have the forced FB login and probably banned in more countries.

So will FB make a 2022 PCVR return??? They have to otherwise face a mass exodus to HMDs and companies that offer more choice. Or they can try and compete on equal terms. Thats not a fight we've seen yet in the VR space. 2022 is going to be an eye opener for sure.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
How are you defining PCVR return?

A dedicated PCVR HMD?
A VR HMD with a HDMI port for full visual fidelity VR?
High-end PCVR videogames which aren't gimped by the portable Q2/Q3/Q4 processing chip?

Atmos

How are you defining PCVR return?

A dedicated PCVR HMD?
A VR HMD with a HDMI port for full visual fidelity VR?
High-end PCVR videogames which aren't gimped by the portable Q2/Q3/Q4 processing chip?

For me a PCVR return would be.

Talk of PCVR at OC
A headset with support for OpenXR.
New AAA PCVR titles.
A headset that takes advantage of PCVR like wide FOV or other tech only used for PC rendering.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
For me a PCVR return would be.

Talk of PCVR at OC
A headset with support for OpenXR.
New AAA PCVR titles.
A headset that takes advantage of PCVR like wide FOV or other tech only used for PC rendering.

Don't think all of those will happen but I'd be happy if it does because I'll happily move back to Oculus of Valve don't release a new VR headset soon.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
First off this is not a rant about 'evil' FB but a rational why I think FB will come back to the PCVR arena in 2022. Just a straight up observation on my part.

In 2022 things are going to change forever. We already know two major players coming out with headsets bidding for global domination. The first is Apples £1000 VR HMD. Apple rivals Oculus in unlimited funds. It's iOS, Store and manufacturing capability is second to none. Yes I own an Iphone. Apple have their own M1 chip which is small, efficient and powerfull enough to rival any Qualcomm based HMD.

Second, Sony with their newly announced PSVR headset. We know it has a tether to take full advantage of the power of the PS5. But it could also support wireless or a second HMD from Sony could support wireless. All the technology from their cameras, TV, consoles is their.

Third is Valve. The Index is nearly 2 years old now, so if we dont see an Index 1.5 in 2021 you can bet your life we'll see a full 2.0 in 2022. Valve will support standalones sooner rather than later.

Then theirs HTC who semi announced a new HMD for 2021 but then went quiet. They're working on 5G wireles technology.

Then.................there's the likes of Samsung, LG and then all the smaller companies recently announcing HMD's over the next couple of years.

So why this thread? Well Oculus have done well with the Quest2. It's the best standalone for its price. Well for any price because FB want to gain as many users to their platform as possible if they're to stand any chance of survival when other (see above) join in with standalones of their own.

What has this got to do with PCVR then?

For years my rational has been FB could not compete long term with Valve or Steam when it came to VR. I said FB should just give up on PCVR altogether and concentrate on Standalones. Low and behold they did. Rift died. Rift-S died. Oculus PCVR excluives pretty much died. No mention of PCVR at all from OC. No new excluives. It was all about Quest and Quest2. Yahoo they got the message. Oculus are close to the point of sustainability, but not yet.

Now it's 2021. How will the VR lanscape look in 2022? Why would Oculus need PCVR at all?

Oculuses strengths have been, price lower than anyone else because they don't need to profit from hardware.
Buy or create exclusives because that's the part of the course when it comes to the gaming world.
Fast hardware iterations staying ahead of the competition. This business model has worked for Oculus over the last 5 years. While PSVR had died a slow death it was out of date before it was released. No consumer PCVR HMD has taken full advantage of PC's bleeding edge technology. Headsets that could blow us away like StarVR and Xtal are too expensive for us mere consmers. Pimax with it's 8KX is not worthy of our money. So we need a company to step it up.

Everything is about to change.

Oculus have already announced Quest 3 and 4 for 2022. So the lines in the sand have been drawn. So why does Oculus need PCVR at all?

Sony will be making huge strides with PS5 sales and launching and low cost HMD to go with it will take major sales away from the Quest3. If a consumer's faced with a choice of Quest3 or PSVR2 I would seriously side with PSVR2. It will have a bigger user base, better graphics, better games and no FB login. More countries could side with Germany and ban FB logins across the EU. China and Austraia. Valve 'could' have a rival platform setup to support any Standalone that supports OpenXR. This means Valve would have two prongs of attack while Oculus would have to open up the Quest platform to OpenXR and allow rival Stores. This would take away FBs price advantage as they would be selling cheap HMDs for nothing while Steam and other rival stores reaped the benefits.

So FB would be forced to resurrect their PCVR ambitions with more exclusives especially if Microsoft support OpenXR HMDs on the Xbox series X and drops WMR.

2022 will be the rebirth of VR. Apple, Sony, Valve, MS, HP, HTC will all have great stores, great controllers, great resolution, great everything, only FB will have the forced FB login and probably banned in more countries.

So will FB make a 2022 PCVR return??? They have to otherwise face a mass exodus to HMDs and companies that offer more choice. Or they can try and compete on equal terms. Thats not a fight we've seen yet in the VR space. 2022 is going to be an eye opener for sure.
Oculus never left PCVR and the quest 2 is not just a standalone device it is a fairly capae PCVR device too. Hopefully quest 3 and beyond will continue to improve both their standalone AND PCVR modes.

(Sadly) I doubt Oculus will create a high end PCVR device but I am confident they will continue to offer an affordable medium range device like they do now , and like they have done for years.

I hope they continue to release PCVR ports of their games. I would love to see some more PCVR exclusives that mobile VR can't cope with but I fear that will no longer happen.

I have a feeling medal of honour may be the last of those titles (or lone echo 2 if that isn't also on quest 2)

The Climb 2 and that new starwars games are worth keeping an eye on. Will we see PCVR versions of those?

Quest 2 has already sold more than every other Oculus headset sold combined so a hybrid approach clearly works for them.
And we are kidding ourselves if we don't accept that the majority of those sales are not for standalone as opposed to PCVR.
This does not mean Oculus PCVR will end but it will play 2nd fiddle to mobile. (I wish it was not so)

Last edited:

Atmos

Oculus never left PCVR and the quest 2 is not just a standalone device it is a fairly capae PCVR device too. Hopefully quest 3 and beyond will continue to improve both their standalone AND PCVR modes.

(Sadly) I doubt Oculus will create a high end PCVR device but I am confident they will continue to offer an affordable medium range device like they do now , and like they have done for years.

I hope they continue to release PCVR ports of their games. I would love to see some more PCVR exclusives that mobile VR can't cope with but I fear that will no longer happen.

I have a feeling medal of honour may be the last of those titles (or lone echo 2 if that isn't also on quest 2)

The Climb 2 and that new starwars games are worth keeping an eye on. Will we see PCVR versions of those?

Quest 2 has already sold more than every other Oculus headset sold combined so a hybrid approach clearly works for them.
And we are kidding ourselves if we don't accept that the majority of those sales are not for standalone as opposed to PCVR.
This does not mean Oculus PCVR will end but it will play 2nd fiddle to mobile. (I wish it was not so)

You said Oculus never left PCVR. Then you said you hope Oculus continue to make PCVR ports of their games which suggests you think they now prioritise Quest2 and port those games to PCVR. That was never the case back in 2016 when PCVR was the priority and Quest later got the ports. So will you agree with me at least when I suggest a fundamental business change happened in favour of standalones.

Ports have been few and far between. No Starwars, no The Climb 2, no Lone Echo2. No memtion of new PCVR exclusives. Oculus killed the Rift, killed the PCVR exclusives, killed the ports. How is that no killing PCVR in all but name? Oh the Quest2 cable for legacy support which is supported by Valve for new titles because Oculus don't make any new PCVR titles. Or at least don't mention them.

Quest2 has sold more headsets than any other, that's just part and parcel of hitting rock bottom on price. If Sony offered a Qualcomm clone for £299 they'd be hitting mega sales too. Sony won't play second fiddle to the PS5 when it comes to standalone which is why I think Oculus will need to come back to the PC fold with more exclusives of their own.

I don't think one headset can rule them all. A dedicated PCVR HMD will always be better than a hybrid. It just won't compete with a hybrid when it comes to value for money.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I don't see what I said as contradictory. I don't think oculus.have left PCVR. I do think they have prioritised.hybrid.vr (with standalone being their main concern).

I think hybrid is the future for.oculus but I hope I am wrong. I would love to see a full fat rift CV2 but I just don't see it myself. It doesn't mean that Oculus have left the PCVR space just that it is a lower priority and is unlikely to be standalone (would love to be wrong tho, a rift 2 with similar specs to the G2 but with Oculus lenses and tracking and touch controllers would be great)

As for.lone echo2 ... Are you saying that is now quest only (or worst still cancelled) if so that sucks majorly

Atmos

I don't see what I said as contradictory. I don't think oculus.have left PCVR. I do think they have prioritised.hybrid.vr (with standalone being their main concern).

I think hybrid is the future for.oculus but I hope I am wrong. I would love to see a full fat rift CV2 but I just don't see it myself. It doesn't mean that Oculus have left the PCVR space just that it is a lower priority.
As for.lobe echo2 ... Are you saying that is now quest only (or worst still cancelled) if so that sucks majorly
What are Oculus doing to support PCVR in 2021?

PodJim

Much as I love the Quest I also hope we get Lone Echo 2. A proper PC game that is. I just bought Floor Plan 2 (great little game!) and I checked out the PC version as it's cross buy. It's identical.

Everything that Mike just said.

With the Quest 2 they have access to both markets for their hardware, both the standalone and PC VR markets. Why on earth would they drop the standalone market in favour of the PC VR market? Games for the Quest 2 are selling like crazy.

Indies are still producing software for the Rift Store and I can't see that changing any time soon. Some (such as my good self) are producing software for both platforms. Still have to organise a stress test for the XR2 at some point, am working on my textures for Dino Coaster VR at the moment. Substance Designer is procedural so I can adjust the resolution of my textures with a couple of clicks of my mouse so it's no big deal.

Plus we also have Lone Echo 2 on the way, and have just seen the release of Medal of Honor and The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners not too long ago too.

Atmos

Everything that Mike just said.

With the Quest 2 they have access to both markets for their hardware, both the standalone and PC VR markets. Why on earth would they drop the standalone market in favour of the PC VR market? Games for the Quest 2 are selling like crazy.

Indies are still producing software for the Rift Store and I can't see that changing any time soon. Some (such as my good self) are producing software for both platforms. Still have to organise a stress test for the XR2 at some point, am working on my textures for Dino Coaster VR at the moment. Substance Designer is procedural so I can adjust the resolution of my textures with a couple of clicks of my mouse so it's no big deal.

Plus we also have Lone Echo 2 on the way, and have just seen the release of Medal of Honor and The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners not too long ago too.
Lol, come on what is this?

Lone Echo does not have a release date, on anything. Medal of Honour and Walking dead are not owned by Oculus, they are third party Studios who also released on Steam.

What are Oculus doing for PCVR in 2021? Nothing because they stopped supporting PCVR. They gave the Quest1/2 legacy support via cable while killing the Rift-S stone dead. If they were supporting PCVR they would of just kept on selling the Rift-S. They didn't want that because they want everyone to buy the Quest2 and forced into FB logins. It's as clear as day.

huxley

The quest works perfectly for Facebooks business model. They harvest user data regardless of you using the native standalone store or a third party PC store (steam). They win either way. They may not get PC games sales but I very much doubt they care at this point.

Lol, come on what is this?

Lone Echo does not have a release date, on anything. Medal of Honour and Walking dead are not owned by Oculus, they are third party Studios who also released on Steam.

What are Oculus doing for PCVR in 2021? Nothing because they stopped supporting PCVR. They gave the Quest1/2 legacy support via cable while killing the Rift-S stone dead. If they were supporting PCVR they would of just kept on selling the Rift-S. They didn't want that because they want everyone to buy the Quest2 and forced into FB logins. It's as clear as day.

Oculus funded Medal of Honor. They contracted with Respawn before EA bought them. I suspect that they were working on a generic WWII shooter and then the EA buyout allowed them to use the Medal of Honor IP, and as a condition of that deal they lost the Rift Store exclusivity.

My point was that developers are still supporting the Rift Store and will continue to do so until those numbers in the Steam Survey drop considerably. It's easy to support three Stores these days, especially with OpenXR, although I'm personally not using the OpenXR plugin for the Unreal Engine until it's out of Beta.

Atmos

Oculus funded Medal of Honor. They contracted with Respawn before EA bought them.

No they didn’t, you just made that up. Show us the evidence.

On Steam it lists EA and Respawn as Distributor and Developer.

EA8C0E1F-DAF6-4F93-A8B9-4D1DED68972B.jpeg

If Oculus was supporting PCVR the Rift-S would not of been cancelled and MoH would of been a Oculus exclusive.

Atmos

Besides, MoH was a 2020 game so my question still stands. What are Oculus doing for PCVR in 2021?

JustinTheNick

Standard Member
New to the forum so hello!

I'm trying to get a sense of what the op is saying here. Is this all about the Facebook login requirement?

For Oculus to be incentivised to produce a PCVR-only headset with no Facebook login requirement, they'd have to have falling sales of the Quest wouldn't they? 'Leaving Oculus in droves' has been a prediction from the moment Facebook announced the login requirement. Other headset manufacturers have produced and announced headsets during that time, what's changed?

Steam hardware survey now has a quarter of all headsets being Quests, that's PCVR use. The incentive for Oculus is to continue to invest in Link development as well as ASW/data transmission/compression/wireless Link/eye tracking etc. Abandoning stand-alone/PCVR headsets is the last thing they'd want to do.

The OP mentions Apple and Sony. By the logic used in the opening post Apple and Sony must also 'enter the PCVR arena' why would this apply just to Oculus?

The reality is that Apply and Sony wont do that, they'll do what Oculus have done and carve out an ecosystem for their own headsets (or in Sony's case continue to do that).

In fact the opposite of what the OP puts forward is true, other PCVR headset manufacturers are going to struggle to compete unless they produce combined stand-alone/PCVR headsets, because that seems to be exactly what people want to buy.

I don't know the OP here but as I say I'm struggling to figure out the reasoning.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Facebook's position on Quest 2 PCVR is really hard to understand. They've made the cable available but don't seem to have much going on with regards to PCVR software.

They initially blocked the 3rd party wireless tethering and while they have u-turned it feels like it was quite begrudgingly.

I suspect most Quest users are only using tethering to access Steam VR. Which isn't of interest to Facebook. Perhaps Facebook see a benefit to offering Steam VR users a wireless alternative that brings them to the Facebook store.

My view, Oculus is standalone. Their interest in PCVR is dead. We won't see another PCVR HMD from Facebook... Though Oculus Link may continue.

No they didn’t, you just made that up. Show us the evidence.

On Steam it lists EA and Respawn as Distributor and Developer.

View attachment 1489548

If Oculus was supporting PCVR the Rift-S would not of been cancelled and MoH would of been a Oculus exclusive.

Oculus announced a new game was coming from Respawn before the buyout. After the buyout they said that the buyout wouldn't affect the development of the new game.

It was first announced at OC4 on 11th October 2017:

Respawn was created by developers from Infinity Ward, of Call of Duty fame, which indicates to me that they were working on a WWII shooter right from the start.

EA bought Respawn Entertainment on 9th November 2017.

Therefore my theory that Oculus negotiated the use of the Medal Of Honor IP for what WAS a Rift exclusive in exchange for the loss of exclusivity has merit.

And it was released on 10th December last year, so it was only released 4 months ago.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Facebook have previously announced that the Rift-S would be their last PCVR headset... as far as this article from Techradar claims along with claiming the Rift (not the Quest) is dead.

(I think the article heading should have said Rift in place of Quest, the dips:censored:ts)

Its very widely reported that there will not be a successor to the now discontinued Rift-S, Facebook PCVR is dead.

Last edited:

Atmos

Facebook have previously announced that the Rift-S would be their last PCVR headset... as far as this article from Techradar claims along with claiming the Rift (not the Quest) is dead.

(I think the article heading should have said Rift in place of Quest, the dips:censored:ts)

Its very widely reported that there will not be a successor to the now discontinued Rift-S, Facebook PCVR is dead.
Yes, you understand.

JustinTheNick

Standard Member
Facebook's position on Quest 2 PCVR is really hard to understand. They've made the cable available but don't seem to have much going on with regards to PCVR software.

They initially blocked the 3rd party wireless tethering and while they have u-turned it feels like it was quite begrudgingly.

I suspect most Quest users are only using tethering to access Steam VR. Which isn't of interest to Facebook. Perhaps Facebook see a benefit to offering Steam VR users a wireless alternative that brings them to the Facebook store.

My view, Oculus is standalone. Their interest in PCVR is dead. We won't see another PCVR HMD from Facebook... Though Oculus Link may continue.
I assume Facebook's objective is to get people to adopt Facebook accounts for VR use.
They can do it two ways, sell to people who are looking for a stand-alone experience provided there are decent apps available with no PC requirement, and they can do it by selling to PCVR users who want to use it that way.

Both ways necessitate Facebook accounts (for the Quest) so both ways work from their point of view. I don't see why they wouldn't want to carry on with both routes to be honest.

There may be a few people who only use Quests for PCVR but I'd guess they were in a small minority, Most people who bought a Quest for PC use are going to also try out the stand-alone features, Steam would seem to be a decent enough vehicle for Oculus so is definitely of interest.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021