Why I'm buying the iPod Touch......

Kieron

Distinguished Member
I've had most iPod's over the years. Slowly upgrading the HD size etc. Every time a new higher capacity came out I bought it and filled it with junk.

When I sat back and honestly looked at my albums on my last iPod I can honestly say there are probably 20 that I listen to with any regularity. I was uploading music to my iPod for the sake of it.

16GB more than covers that.

I used my last iPod with the camera connector to hook up to my Canon digital camera when the family went on our 3 week holiday last year. I shot going on 1000 pictures and videos. Total usage - 11GB

16GB more than covers that too.

I never watch video on my iPods.

I use my iPod at home mainly when I'm on the sunbed. As the Touch has Wi-Fi capability I will stream all my iTunes music (some 80 odd gigs worth) via Wi-Fi straight to my touch using the dottunes software if there is something I haven't already uploaded to the flash memory. I can also use dottunes when I'm out and about via Wi-Fi should I need to (not that I expect to).

I'll fill my Touch with my favourites, and rely on dottunes for everything else from my main library.

What else...

Well I love to browse the web when I get home from work late at night. I can now use the Touch upstairs in bed, without my wife asking me "when are you coming up to bed" etc. Again, I can dottunes any music/video/pictures from my main pc downstairs should I wish to. I can check my email around the house easily instead of getting up and going into the "computer room". I can mess about with YouTube, read the paper, listen to my music all on one application "easily".

So why am I not buying an iPhone to have everything. Well the iPhone doesn't have everything. My o2 XDA Orbit has GPS satnav in a smaller case. It also takes care of web on the move via GPRS if I so desire - I don't to be honest but the satnav is the biggest selling point of the XDA.

I like to keep my iPod seperate to my phone. My iPods have always been meticulously looked after. They don't go outside (apart from the annual family holiday when they are used as back-ups for photo's etc) and are cherished from purchase until I sell them.

I'll do the same with my touch. It will be immaculate when I come to sell it, as my 5.5 iPod "classic" video was.

I've got £20 off the purchase price with the discount code and the funds from the sale of my video iPod. The touch will cost me very little to "upgrade".

So for me - the purchase was easy. An iPod with a big screen, ultra thin with Safari web browser and all my music streamed via Wi-Fi. I'm honestly not bothered about the fact it's "only" 16GB. With Wi-Fi and dottunes my iPod touch is 500GB - the same as my iMac.

Roll on the 28th....

Kieron

Distinguished Member
And as a follow up to the above.

I just transferred all the music I listened to "semi" regularly to a "touch playlist". Essential albums are also included in the count.

So this is "essential albums" and albums I might listen to now and again, all in one count.

Totals?

3325 songs

9 Days, 14 Hours, 40 minutes and 45 seconds.

14.74GB

Probably 1300 songs are my essential collection. The other 2000 I may or may not listen to now and again. These 2000 could be just as easily discarded.

I intend to whittle down this selection further before the 28th. I'm amazed that I used to carry around 50 odd gigs worth of music that I never listened to....

16GB will do me for the next couple of years.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
So has it been confirmed that you actually can stream from iTunes to the iPod touch? It makes sense and its one of the most compelling reason to buy one (i have been doing this with my XDA for a couple of years now and its great) but i have not see it actually confirmed as a feature, only iTunes purchasing and web browsing. It would also be nice to use some kind of 'tunneling' in order to listen to your collection via your net connection and a hot spot too for some people.

I did the same thing myself regarding storage, but i need at least 20gb to be happy. It's a really 'if only' situation, it would be nice there was a 32gb version (probably wont be that long before there is) - i mean, how much would an extra 16GB really have cost Apple? a few quid? They could have whacked 32 in there no problem, but they are just staging their product cycle so people will upgrade again in 2 years time. In the coming years we will be seeing the roll out of WiMAX (or simular) and within the next 5-10 years the UK will be blanketed in WiMAX, so local storage wont be much of an issue then.

Kieron said:
Well I love to browse the web when I get home from work late at night. I can now use the Touch upstairs in bed, without my wife asking me "when are you coming up to bed" etc. Again, I can dottunes any music/video/pictures from my main pc downstairs should I wish to. I can check my email around the house easily instead of getting up and going into the "computer room".
LOL, i could have posted that exact same thing :D

Kieron

Distinguished Member
The only way you can stream currently is by using dottunes 3rd party software, there is no official Apple software as yet. Dottunes does the job easily though and it's only a matter of time before Apple let you stream via airtunes or similar.... :thumbsup:

po_man

I've currently got a pretty old iPod (20GB 4th Gen) and have been looking to upgrade for a while. Like you Kieron, 20GB has always been more than enough so the 16Gb 'Touch' will be fine in terms of capacity.

Quick question though. When i upgrade, would it just be a question of plugging my new 'pod' into the PC and all of the current tunes stored on my HDD syncing with the new 'pod?

Thanks

Synchro

Distinguished Member
Having been a user of a Zune for 9 months......

You will watch video ;)

16GB might be enough if you regularly sync your Ipod, for long trips, it won't be enough.

Kieron

Distinguished Member
I've currently got a pretty old iPod (20GB 4th Gen) and have been looking to upgrade for a while. Like you Kieron, 20GB has always been more than enough so the 16Gb 'Touch' will be fine in terms of capacity.

Quick question though. When i upgrade, would it just be a question of plugging my new 'pod' into the PC and all of the current tunes stored on my HDD syncing with the new 'pod?

Thanks
Yeah, it's relatively easy - the pc will recognise the touch and then give you some options for syncing it.

Having been a user of a Zune for 9 months......

You will watch video ;)

16GB might be enough if you regularly sync your Ipod, for long trips, it won't be enough.
I've been a video iPod user for 2 years - Never watched video on it apart from the odd podcast. (and that was ages ago when it was new - novelty)

Long trips - well I have my wife and 3 kids to chat to on the plane, they certainly wouldn't allow me to listen to my iPod. However as you'll note in my posts above - I'll have 9 days worth of music on my touch - not come across any plane journeys that long.

I only ever take my iPod on holiday to use as a storage device for my digital camera.

Trust me, for me it's ideal. Horses for courses as they say.

Empgamer

Novice Member
Must admit I'm very keen on either the Ipod Touch or the iPhone. What will sway if for me is how good the Touches are as a PDA/Calendar synch. If the fucntionality is dog basic I will likely go for a separate phone that does the PDA bit a lot better (Nokia E95 IIRC) but if it is usable I may well go the one device route and get the iPhone.

I like the iPod Touch but, having NO interest in video at all, I have no pressing urge to change my recently acquired old style 8Gb Nano under the Amazon 30 day 'I don't want it any more' deal. I use the iPod for audio books a lot and the track wheel comes in handy, but I'm not even sure I like the new Nano enough to change for that (esp as I have bought various cases etc for the old style Nano).

shahedz

Distinguished Member
i've got 15gbs worth of music at the moment, so that is just about enough , i may just get the touch and chop and swap music rather than doing auto sync, when they release a bigger version which they will no doubt in the future then i will get that ( must be the typical mug customer apple like)

would be great if you could connect to a mobile so you can browse the web when you haven't got wifi around

gerbilly

I have 27gb of music on mine and 9gb of videos and movies on mine. I have mine connected to an onkyo 515 via their dock and I have access to over about 400 albums via my i pod, I have 90 music videos, a series of south park and 4 feature movies. I also have a dock to connect to my onkyo amp in my living room which upgrades the picture to 1080p.

Therefore this device is not suitable for this and is more a hands on device, as a result it will get filthy.
For the serious muso I think the 160gb is a far better option, as for the person advocating the Zune!, please just stop it!!!!:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom