• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

why id hd only important?

nicke20

Established Member
Ive been browsing the classifieds and keep coming accross adverts for plasmas where the seller states that the panel has only had hd sources played on it and "no" sd material has been near it. Why is this so important for a prospective purchaser?

Last edited:

daredevill

Established Member
I dont think this makes any difference at all does it ?

nicke20

Established Member
I dont think this makes any difference at all does it ?

well thats what i thought, but so many people make a point of the fact that the panel they are selling has had hd on it only, perhaps its a form of snobbery!
I mean surely everybody here is clued up on the technology, this is almost as funny as the regassing myth

BigMacca

Established Member
I think that most people will class SD programs as being in 4:3, so having black bars down either side of the screen.

HD by default has to be full widescreen so would be unlikely to have black bars down the sides (some programs that are upscaled to 1080i are broadcasted with black bars but it's only a handful)

Therefore, I think the idea is to reassure the buyer that the screen will have aged evenly and not have screen burn etc....

I don't really think is is problem for any recent plamsa though (unless the majority of viewing has been done with black bars :) )

dudeonline

Prominent Member
I think that most people will class SD programs as being in 4:3, so having black bars down either side of the screen.

HD by default has to be full widescreen so would be unlikely to have black bars down the sides (some programs that are upscaled to 1080i are broadcasted with black bars but it's only a handful)

Therefore, I think the idea is to reassure the buyer that the screen will have aged evenly and not have screen burn etc....

I don't really think is is problem for any recent plamsa though (unless the majority of viewing has been done with black bars :) )

Most if not all the SD programs I have seen are in widescreen. Only really OLD stuff is 4:3, rarely see it these days.

daredevill

Established Member
A lot of blu ray film is in 2.35:1 that puts black bars on top and bottom so what's the difference then ?

BigMacca

Established Member
A lot of bl ray film is in 2.35:1 that puts black bars on top and bottom so what's the difference then ?
There's no difference at all - Black bars are black bars whether they are at the side of the image or at the bottom.

I'm not saying my explanation is definitely the reason people put the 'HD only' stuff in their adverts, it's just the only reason I can think off.

Kind of like when selling a car - One lady owner, only driven to the shops and back etc....

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom