Why i shouldnt be allowed in Tech shops....

SilverGamer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After deliberation I wandered into Jessops this afternoon, wallet in pocket, ready to buy the Sony A35 and just trying to decide whether to buy the single lens pack or the dual one. After a quick test and trial all was well..... However just by the side of it was the A65.... Well a small test can't hurt can it...

Oh dear... The viewfinder and rear screen just seemed 100x better and more side by side testing just made it worse....

So I went into the shop ready to purchase the A35 and came out thinking "well the A65 is only £85 a month for 10 months...."

Good job I didn't start testing lens too :)

Andy

Congrats ;)

The a77 would have probably only been another 20 a month :)

There's no doubt the 2nd gen STL EVFs are much much better than the previous gen. As for lenses pah give it a month, you'll be stalking the forum for a couple of high end 2nd hand lenses to make use of that 24mp sensor. Welcome to the world of lens lust ;-)

After deliberation I wandered into Jessops this afternoon, wallet in pocket, ready to buy the Sony A35 and just trying to decide whether to buy the single lens pack or the dual one. After a quick test and trial all was well..... However just by the side of it was the A65.... Well a small test can't hurt can it...

Oh dear... The viewfinder and rear screen just seemed 100x better and more side by side testing just made it worse....

So I went into the shop ready to purchase the A35 and came out thinking "well the A65 is only £85 a month for 10 months...."

Good job I didn't start testing lens too :)

Andy

A65 :smashin:

I tried the EVF on the A65 and really liked it.

Surely that battery has charged by now. We need pictures to prove you have this new toy ;)

pixelpixel said:
Surely that battery has charged by now. We need pictures to prove you have this new toy ;)

Sorry to disappoint for a short while, but I didn't buy it there in Jessops. Instead thought it best to leave, read some background material and checkout the general prices online.

So far DigitalRev.com looks a good place to buy from, practically £200 cheaper than Jessops @ £660 with the Sony kit lens. I've seen a few reviews suggesting buying only the body and sourcing a 3rd party lens but feel I'll probably go with the kit to start me off.

Will then need to source a small bag and probably a filter.

The A35 did tick all my boxes, but have to admit the A65 added something that made me quite excited.

One thing that was quite odd though is that apparently the LCD screens are the same on both cameras, yet in the shop, side by side the A65 looked far superior. Even though in theory settings were the same. Obviously I needed a little more time to play.

Andy

Jessops are expensive. My local Sony Centre has the A65 +18-55mm in stock much cheaper! It's why I am waiting for shipments of the A77 to Sony Centres to start again in January'ish, it'll push prices right down.

A65

Jessops: £879.95

Sony: £749.99

You are aware that Digital Rev are in Hong Kong?

Yeah, I saw the Hong Kong issue too. As a backup I'm looking at :-

http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/product/Sony_Alpha_A65_Digital_SLT_18-55mm_Kit_36943

Are these guys good?

Sony shop I see at £869. http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsi-body-and-1-lens/slt-a65vk

Never heard of them.

You need to check prices at various Sony Centres as they aren't Sony at all, they are franchises. Change your location to check other stores. Try Manchester Trafford Centre for example. ;) Then phone them to order. :D

I called my local Sony Center and they quoted me £789 for the body and £870 for the body and kit lens. No cheaper than the Sony online store at all and they weren't budging a penny.

Needless to say that's a sale they won't be getting. Unfortunately the Trafford center is £200 in petrol away.

Yeah, I saw the Hong Kong issue too. As a backup I'm looking at :-

Sony Sony Alpha A65 Digital SLT 18-55mm Kit - 36943

Are these guys good?

Sony shop I see at £869. SLT-A65VK (SLTA65VK, SLTA65VK.CEH) : Overview : Cameras & camcorders : Sony

Hi Andy,

I did some checking on procamerashop and although they "appear" to have an address in Carlisle, I read on another Photography forum they are really based out of HK and selling grey imports....Check this out from post 8 onwards

Ps, I only managed a quick peep at Cameras this weekend in a Best Buy closing down sale. They are rubbish in there so never got to really check them out properly...they did have the Canon 60D body for £625 though, which is pretty unbeatable I think.

I'll update my thread soon, but the A65 is looking good I must say:smashin:

Procamerashop, Grey imports, have used before, service was good, packaging was poor. Just ring them, pretty easy to tell if a retailer is dodgy once talking to them.

Procamerashop, Grey imports, have used before, service was good, packaging was poor. Just ring them, pretty easy to tell if a retailer is dodgy once talking to them.

Tried calling them last Friday, at about 3pm.....kept getting generic BT answering service...It didn't inspire confidence.

Thing is, it's all good when the device turns up and works; the real acid test is when the device is faulty or has an issue...twist, do you have experience with them in this respect?

Cheers
Darren

Nope, I returned something for a refund and service was very efficient. Not sure if it still is, try ringing again perhaps.

I called them just now, got through straight away, no waiting. Guys seemed professional and knew what they were talking about.

The A65's they have ARE imports, but I'm really not sure what difference that makes if the company is honouring the warrantee ?

Big Norman are based abroad in Gibraltar.

To be honest it seems there are very few places you can buy online that are selling proper UK cameras. This seems to have been made worse by the Thai flooding forcing everyone to hunt for them wherever they can find them.

I'm just confused again now. Seems that buying a camera isn't as simple as most other electronic devices. When I go online to purchase a £2,500 TV I don't have to ask if it's imported / has a UK warrantee !

Guessing this is made worse for cameras than other devices because they seem to be hugely overpriced in the UK compared to other parts of the world, making importing them a very attractive proposition.

:thumbsdow

Its simple really if its much cheaper than anywhere else its an import. UK stockists offer UK warranty with manufacturer, Grey offer their own company warranty if company goes bust youre screwed, unless warranty is via 3rd party company.

You pay less but take a risk so stick to the bigger importers, onestop and digitalrev.

Are DigitalRev a well respected, well known, trusted store ? I see you've mentioned them and I note they have many good online reviews. They are also offering the best price for the A65.

Andy

I called my local Sony Center and they quoted me £789 for the body and £870 for the body and kit lens. No cheaper than the Sony online store at all and they weren't budging a penny.

Needless to say that's a sale they won't be getting. Unfortunately the Trafford center is £200 in petrol away.

I think you missed the point, they all deliver. :D

Are DigitalRev a well respected, well known, trusted store ? I see you've mentioned them and I note they have many good online reviews. They are also offering the best price for the A65.

Andy

Yes, very good exporter.

Yes, very good exporter.

I tried to contact them initially by the online chat function, but that really didn't work very well so gave them a call.

Bottom line is that the cameras don't come with a UK manual (I'm sure this could be downloaded via PDF from Sony's website), don't come with a UK mains adapter (could be an issue when I take the camera abroad) and take 5 to 7 days from point of order to deliver. They couldn't be sure I'd have it for Christmas.

Knowing my luck though I'd order it, get it in the new year, and then find all the on screen menu's were in Chinese with no idea how to change them back. :laugh:

I don't think I can be bothered with the importing lark to save just over £100, so going to browse a little further and deliberate a little more.

Btw - posting all this here so hopefully others (inc Daz) will find it useful if they are doing a similar thing.

Yes, mate, this is all very good to know.

Bit like you, I don't think the savings on offer are worth the potential headache.

Quick question; Do you think the A65 will be easier to use/learn how to use than a Canikon equivalent?...A very broad question that is likely to be a silly one but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.:)

I'm very keen on the A65 and for now, it's this and the Canon 60D I am deliberating over. I really wanted to do more shopping Saturday but I was struck down with food poisoning and so I didn't stay out long this weekend:(

No point me updating my thread until I've been in a proper shop and played with the A65 and 60D side-by-side.

Last edited:
All cameras have different languages, when you boot it up first time asks which language, (DONT CHOOSE CHINESE!). PDF manuals online.

A dslr is a dslr, most have auto all have exposure adjustments, menus will only differ a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom