1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHY I HATE PANASONIC (But Will Probably Buy one now!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Suave, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hello Everyone!

Yes, I know, I'm gonna **** alot of people off by saying something blasphemous in this section BUT... I HATE PANASONIC! There I've said it! (Off with his head you cry, hang the bastard you shout, bhlasphemer some of you say!) but hang on a sec... I have a right to my opinion too! Well, folks, An ancient Indian saying states "Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one and at one time or another they all stink!) Why, you may ask do I hate Panasonic so much and risk incurring a wrath from you all the likes of which not seen since Salman Rushdie wrote the Satanic Verses? Is it cos I am an asshole - No! My Opinion Stinks? - Maybe. Cos I know f-all about anything? _ probably! What has Panasonic done to me - treated me badly? Burnt my house down? Slept with my wife? Killed my Children? Panasonic equipment used in catching me out sleeping around behind my wifes back? NO, Gentleman NO, None of the above. In fact, now that I've grown up, I realise that Panasonic have done nothing to me. So why hate them? Well, it goes like this:

When I was about 6, met a guy who was kinda like connected to family so had to make friends with him. You know, the type who is like a dose of bad piles, is there to stay for life. Ever since we met, to this day, he was a mummys boy, a selfish, arrogant brat who always got his way by using other people, never bought a drink, always short of cash, never there when you needed him etc. Everything he has is better than yours, his house, his road, his models, his bike, his hifi and yes you guessed it - his TV. Any clues as to what make it was? He just kept going on and on about his TV and his things. Well folks, after 30 years of this ****, and ones brain, for the sake of self preservation, sanity and silent retribution just adapts itself to REJECTING anything associated with him or what he likes. If you do not, you become his Bitch syndrome! So, really, I had no say in the matter - psychological evolution decided things for me. But I never bought anything Panasonic! (OK, maybe a few AA batteries!) Its just one of those crazy things! Why am I telling you this? Well, I've been reading this plasma forum, and it certainly seems like there seems to be a legion of die hard Panasonic loyalists out there - and you gotta say say I had guts inviting your wrath then! So, you can imagine, when considering getting a Plasma - my brain would just reject Panasonic without question - it just will not compute. No probs I thought, there are a ton of other great makes out there (but I do not want to reminded of that fat bastard when everytime I see the Panasonic logo when watching my mega expensive plasma - it would be like having him there all the time, in my head, everytime I watched something - it would be too much for any sane person to bear (this guy was a real slimeball!). Knowing this now, even you all must understand. Imagine for half of you if, I did something that reminded you of your ex-wives 24/7. Ah, now you get the picture.

Why have I told you this? Firstly, to say SORRY to PANASONIC! It was not their fault that **** attached it self to their name! AND, After reading an American Test of Plasma Screens and looking at their results - I THINK I'M CURED!!!! Check this out: I came across a great & really informative site called:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com

and guess what? Of all the very many plasma screens they tested, they complied a TOP 10 plasma screen list. RESULTS? PANASONIC VOTED 1, 2 & 3!! See for yourself if you dont believe me!:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/top10.html

To get the top 3 spots is no mean feat. After reading that, I thought, thats it, I'm gonna excorcise that swine and be free of him once and for all and not deprive myself anymore. At least now, when I do buy a Plasma, and I cant guarantee it will be a Panasonic (as I will always go with my eyes and unfortunately my budget) but it will definetely be one of the top makes to consider depending on things at the time. It also serves to reinforce what you panny lovers have stated for a while and make you feel even better about what you have bought! So, there you have it, sorry about the long story but be glad for me - I'm free, saved from all your wrath and maybe just be a panny owner too! For those, who are thinking, yes, I will keep on taking my medication!

Suave!
    :D

PS: I hear very little on about some other makes hear like Fujitsu, NEC, Sony & Philips? I know the Sony sets are very expensive but I thought that Sony with their very cool looks and need to be top of the pack have some mega good Plasma screens? As for Philips, they strike me as being a fantastic company when it comes to innovation and developing new technology (They have had so many best buys and 5 star ratings) but to me, I just dont feel good about Philips reliability or build quality - is that what most folks believe?

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Panasonic wasn't *voted* anything. That is a list based on number of sales through a selected group of retailers. Number of sales doesn't always mean that something is good - if you think it does, I really wouldn't want to listen to your record collection.

Then again, in a quick survey of 1 british retailer, they proclaim the LG as their top selling model - so I was right all along, and everyone else round here is wrong ;-)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Ford is also the world's top selling car. Doesn't make it the best either :laugh:

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Cheap stuff always sells well, but it always remains cheap stuff :)

5. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The reason why i hate Panasonic is because they are drip feeding us technology. They could have given us HDMI/Hi-res screens a long time ago,but seem to prefer to milk the market for all it`s worth until they finally have to cave in to public demand (i.e when Blu-Ray arrives or Sky HD) . You will have no future-proofing with Panny,they want you to buy what they want to sell you now & then buy again when HDTV comes around......or am i just cynical? :rolleyes:

Dan

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    That's a free market economy for you ! Thing is it's been made easier for Panasonic since some of the other big players have not backed Plasma, such as Sony. They have been quite happy to re-badge mediocre stuff rather than produce it for themselves. They've been quite happy not to adopt Plasma technology and are putting their money on LCD.

7. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    OK folks..

so I cant read - I'm an idiot for assuming it was a top 10 test of reviews as opposed to a top 10 selling list. I mistook it for the actual review list of mainly 42" models on their main page which has the top 10 best selling list next to it. MY Fault - I apologise! Listen, I dont have a bias for one make or another - I was just amused reading these threads and some of the arguments/debates/views of folks about certain makes and some of them seemed quite emotional and viciferous! I just thought I would add to the process! However, from the list of plasmas actually tested (go to reviews) I think you will find the Panasonic had the most favourable review with the highest score (97) for picture quality. It was a Nov 04 review so I'm assuming its the latest model. (Hey, I'm just the messenger!)

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/panasonic-th42pwd7uy-review.html

Suave!

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Far better to do your own reviews instead of listening to those of others who may not be totally unbiased. One person's idea of a good TV picture isn't always the same as someone else's.

Panasonic is a top-seller because it's also the cheapest. Although price has to be a major consideration, it should not be the only consideration. I am not inferring that Panasonic are any worse than other makes because they are cheaper, but my experience in life has always been that you get what you pay for.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Wasn't very long ago that Hitachi were the cheapest, and the same argument was used, by myself I freely admit, and others. I could never quite understand how Hitachi did it, cos their screens are intrinsically more complex than Panasonic, and not just the number of dots.

10. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Capitalism is another word for it driven by greed and the need for more and more money.

Reminds me of Intel Corp when they released new CPUs all the time back in the 90's, they had faster CPU but wanted to milk the customers to the max before releasing the faster CPU.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    With the high-reliability that we get nowadays, AV manufacturers have taken a leaf out of the PC manufacturer's books by making sure that your TV is out of date about a week after you've taken it out of the box. Years ago, people would only buy a TV if their old one was worn out, but this is no longer the case.

People who think they're on a safe bet because their TV is labelled "future proof" should not be too smug, because there's always something new in the pipeline. Hi-def may be this years' buzz-word, but who knows what it will be this time next year ? 3D-TV ? A new type of plasma or LED ?

It's not limited to TV's either. My "old" Yamaha 640 has been replaced by the 650, which is more-or-less the same spec rx/amplifier, but the knobs are now in different places. But now I have last year's model :suicide:

12. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same theory applies to most industries, surely?

Although there must be an element of manufacturers "milking" us, there's also the point that technology is probably the fastest-evolving industry in the history of man, and innovation is a daily occurrence. Basically we want stuff more quickly than it can be invented in today's "gotta have it NOW!, pay later" society [Isn't it great the way retailers sell finance to us on products that need upgrading before the finance is even paid off?], and so we're unlikely to ever completely eradicate the problem of products being obsolete as soon as you walk out of the shop.

For the same reason "Futureproofing" is far from infallible, as what we believe today to be tomorrow's technology often isn't always what we end up with (check out the High Def debate - a number of different theories on which way that's gonna go!).

Far better to pick a product today that does what you want it to do (without selling the farm), and worry about "upgrades" as and when your product becomes un-usable due to technological evolution or your needs & wants change with the times...

Here endeth the lesson. :laugh:

13. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Take a leaf out of my book. With computer and av kit I always try to buy an old model cheaply.
    For example, 2 years ago I bought a yamaha AX1 which 3 years ago retailed for 2000 quid. I picked it up for 600 brand new and then I only paid 20 quid for an extended guarantee.
    Ok so it doesn't do PLII, but who cares. I own what was once the Yamaha flagship amplifier and it sounds and looks great.
    Same with my dvd player. Two years ago I remember reading reviews for the first ever multiformat (dvd-a & sacd) player, the Pioneer 747. But it was a whopping 1000 quid.
    No problem, just one year later i bought it for just 200 quid and it's even multiregion.

So I have what amounts to 3000 pounds worth of kit for a mere 800 pounds.
    Ok so it doesn't have DVI or HDMI or any of the firwire type conections for dvd-a/sacd. But i'm happy with what I have got.

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I like your style of thinking sacd ! You're a wise guy. :thumbsup:

The DVI/HDMI thing in all honesty (and this is probably a bit controversial) is not that much better than a quality set of analogue outputs. Having seen a 868 hooked up to a 434, I wasn't sure if I could tell the difference ? Maybe my eyes had had a bit of a bad day, but I was struggling to tell any difference at the time.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well if a panny badge sickens you buy a clone the Fujitsu VHA 30 being the pick of the bunch (panny glass with Fujitsu electrinics) or the B&O plasmas (panny screens) or the TOSH (badge swap except latest) Yamaha (dunno) all tje goodness no sickening badge ypu need never know... except i just told you ;)

16. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've seen a few people say this now. I currently have the HDMI card for the Panasonic PW7 on order but am half thinking of cancelling if there is no real benefit for it. Wasn't there some issue with the component output on the 868 being 'nobbled' though to make the HDMI look good? Or was that just internet gossip?

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Fame at last! The digital output is vastly better than analogue on this player, but the distinction is less apparent on some other players, say a 3910

18. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry MAW. I didn't realise the comment came from you. I've spent a month or so reading this forum and who said what all starts to blur into one :)

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No apology needed, it's probably a libellous statement. It's actually more like 'this player is designed to match the 434/5 screens. Everyone will use HDMI, but we can't leave off analogue, cos some folks might buy them knowing they will upgrade to hdmi but need analogue, so we'll stick the 3 phonos on it while we are down there'. No malice intended, they just didn't really try that hard.