Why I "Gave Up" On Philips 32PF9986

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by adtadt, Sep 12, 2004.

1. adtadt

adtadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (The following is long, sorry but this TV's (good & very bad) attributes have really disturbed me...)

Having been too busy of late I missed all the fuss over this set…
    Posted "to the best of my knowledge and without predigest".​
    I was an early adopter when Philips introduced the original Pixel Plus – i.e. I purchased the 32” CRT, 32PW9617/05, back in early 2002 – and I still love the picture quality. Like most “true flat” CRT’s it can’t draw a straight line, but that’s something I’ve got used to… Philips had done me proud in the past – PAL Plus 16/9 Near Flat, then Pixel Plus True Flat… I had been patient and waited a long time for either a Plasma or LCD to get the kind of “WOW” magazine write-ups this new TV has received here in the UK…

Having seen the 32PF9986 in a shop “before the recall” in May I knew I wanted one… The dealer I used supplied me a week last Friday with one of his batch of re-launched stock – within a day or so of them coming in, I really couldn’t have asked more of them…

Then, the following really burst my “bubble of delight” with this gorgeous TV…

Although the set “frequently” provided the best domestic pictures I’ve ever seen from DVD and UK Digital (SKY/Freeview) on “any” type of TV (including able to draw perfectly straight lines), I CANNOT forgive the following:

Major Picture Fault:
    ==============
    There's a line of "black" pixels about a couple inches or so from the bottom of the screen that goes from left edge to about 80% across the whole screen... Even if this was fixed with a replacement TV I couldn’t live with a set like this, as I’d be constantly wondering when/if such a fault might come back… I left the set on for around five minutes, thinking it "might" be a “bedding in” issue, like the early CRT TV's, but it persisted. Sometimes "red smears" appear across the right third of this line, which seem to "fade back to black" after a few seconds. Bringing up the set's "teletext" seems to always make the "red smear" appear. The "mostly black" line appears on all input SCART EXT sources, along with the set's inbuilt tuner stations or the "blue screen" when there's no signal. I tried turning the set off for a few minutes and then turning back on, but this "mostly black" line is always there... as it was the next day.

Other Serious Issues:
    ===============
    Ignoring the above “picture fault” I catalogued the following “nasties”…

· For "some time to come" I would be nervous that any replacement set would be likely to have this, or similar fault. The technology is obviously "leading edge", although the first 32" CRT "Original Pixel Plus" set that I currently have (32PW9617/05 purchased when launched in early 2002) has not had any faults to date. So I can't understand why this "new re-launched model" seems to "still be having issues" some 6+ months after its launch. This has seriously shaken the high confidence I had in Philips TV's. (Over the last-8 years or so I've had three high-end Philips TV's - none of which "ever failed" - I just willingly replaced them for the "significant" picture/screen advances each new set offered. (PAL Plus, Near Flat, Pixel Plus & Real Flat...)

· There was no component video cable supplied in the accessories box, only the DVI to VGA adapter. The cable was supposed to be a way to tell that you have a re-launch set. (As I noted in an email from Philips on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 12:31 PM ".... As a responsible manufacture, we had recalled the 32PF9986 due to a possible heath and safety issue. We are currently working on getting the issue resolved. And we can inform you that this model has been scheduled for re-release in the UK by end of this month i.e. August 2004.". And on Thursday, August 26, 2004 8:43 AM "...With regards to your query we can advise that the 32PF9986 will accept progressive scan via DV-I connection. The re-release of the LCD will include a DV-I to component lead.".

While having seen this "model" in shops the following "attributes", which I find unacceptable, were not obvious - probably down to the high shop lighting and background noise... which is always an issue when trying to demo TV’s…

. There's an audible (from over 3 metres) "low tone", which is intrusive to quiet film scenes, when the contrast is set lower than a value of 70. i.e. increase the value (which is a bit too high for my liking) and it goes away. (This might be another fault with this set, as Philips manual says "any" noise from the TV should be inaudible over 3 metres?)

. There's a slight flicker, depending on picture content, towards the left side of the screen. (This might be another fault with this set?)

. The set cannot deliver even a near black level - i.e. even with the contrast and brightness turned fully down it shows as "grey" in anything other than a brightly lit room. This is not acceptable for high-definition home cinema DVD viewing.

. Unlike my current Philips TV there's no "auto" setting that can be applied to 14/9 scaled pictures - so that when switching formats you get anamorphic 16/9 only when this is sourced, otherwise a 4/3 is always scaled to 14/9. (Which is just what I normally like my current TV to do for me, rather than having to keep fiddling with the remote as for this new TV...)

. I can't use the ambilight feature as it totally jams the infrared receiver of my "in-wall mounted" lighting system, which is around 2 metres away, even in daylight. This suggest it's generating near infrared light output to quite a high degree.

It's a crying shame, unlike my current CRT Pixel Plus, this model "can" deliver the best, really clear, detailed and colourfully rich pictures, doesn't bend lines - if only the "quality of the kit" was up to it..

The TV’s gone back to the dealer, who seems genuinely annoyed that Philips have treated us both so badly…

2. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear this!! - my set is fantastic and wouldn't want to swap for another set within that price bracket...

Sounds like there is a serious fault with the set and maybe the cause of the other issues? Why isn't it worth having it replaced? sounds strange...One bad experience doesn't mean there will be more??

Mine are black? and I watch most the films in almost complete darkness?? - It would really be worth having the set replaced...It is a fantastic set?

How can all the reviewers and myself be so wrong?
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4527

3. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wot a2do 4 u.
    Dont want 2 sound clever but mayb u should of bought a Panny

4. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe because the reviewers (don't know your case) make their veredicts keeping in mind how contrast was then and how it is now, and assuming poor contrast is an inherent thing of the LCD technology, not taking it thus as a handicap??

This week I received my 30PF9975 and I sent it back because of its contrast and its blacks (a set acclaimed everywhere, even at HCC); adtadt has done the same with his 32PF9986. Could it be that some users are more demandign with the TVs they spend the money with instead of being the two sets defective?

5. adtadt

adtadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, as my nearly 4 year old CRT/Pixel Plus Philips 32PW9617 failed - and I couldn't wait for it to be fixed, I've jumped in and got the 32PF9830. It may not have a "scanning backlight", but the 6000/1 dimming backlight is "just" about giving blacks and not greys. There's even some detail in the blacks:thumbsup: (The scanning backlight "appears" to be not before September and I "needed" to jump on the SKY+HD...)

Early days...