Why I chose Philips HDRW720

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rebecca, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen in some posts that people usually despise Philips DVDR due to several reasons. I think the choice of a DVDR depends on the use you are giving to it. That's why I chose Philips and, so far, I am still happy with it:

- Main use: Archive more than 3,000 old classic films from VHS into DVD. For this, I wanted to put as many movies as possible into a single disc. Philips has the 8 hour / DVD feature, and that is what I use. Some could say that this is a poor resolution for a DVD, but I don't mind. These movies are usually black&white, with poor picture quality, a lot of noise and so on. So, it does not make a big difference to use a high resolution or a low one. It is surprising, but b&w movies do not lose much quality with the lowest resolution. In this way, I don't care about Flexible recording: I save everything in the 8 hour / disc format.
    - Time shift: It has a buffer very convenient to watch T.V. The machine remembers the last 2 - 6 hours, and you can move around it easily. You don't need to record this directly to the HDD. It works as soon as you swicth the machine on.
    - Supports Re-writable media (+RW) other than DVD-RAM (I don't like this).
    - Fast transfer from HDD to +R. I do not care that I cannot copy from DVD to HDD, since I don't need to use this.
    - Easy editing: Erase A-B, to remove commercials. I don't need more.
    - Fast DV from Camcorder.
    - Easy recording from ShowView.

Therefore, the machine does its job.
    By the way, is there another machine with 8 hours / DVD recording format? I am only aware of the Panasonic 95, but since DVD-RAM is a showstopper for me, I would not go for it.

Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)

2. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well said and good for you!

It is true that lots of people have reported various issues with some Philips DVDR models, however, I do know people who have had their Philips recorders for a few years without any problems.

Picture quality on Philips machines is generally described as exemplary by the various technology magazines.
    But it is also true to say that these machines operational logic is somewhat different than Japanese designs.
    I can confirm this, having owned various Philips and Grundig AV equipment which had a tendency of hiding useful settings deep inside elusive menus.

But ultimately, it's what satisfy or needs that drives our choices.
    You seem to have found your ideal machine.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    You haven't read the latest What Video magazine (November) then where the HDRW720 is pitted against numerous other DVD recorders and looses to all of them on PQ (it was awarded 3/5 as opposed to 5/5 for virtually every other model)! My advice to the original poster is ensure you keep your original tapes (the Philips model is perhaps the worst possible choice for archiving VHS as it has no TBC) as when you upgrade your screen you will hate the lip sync issues that this will cause as well as the slight picture distortions. It may be prudent to get an extended warranty as well.

4. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for my ignorance on this field, but:

- what is TBC?
    - what are the lip sync issues? (sounds scary...:()
    - which would be the best DVDR to archive movies and put as many as possible in a disc, no matter of the compression quality (with 3,000 movies, space is an issue).
    - which is the DVDR with the highest "number of hours / disc" ratio?

Thanks for your kind answer.
    Rebecca.;)

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Archive 3,000 B/W movies! rather you than me. That'll take years. Might as well wait for Blu-Ray (2006) with it's 50GB per disc. That's 64 hours in EP mode! ;) :)

As for amount of info per single sided -/+ r disk, it's always the same. i.e. 4.7GB. The amount of hours you can get onto a disc depends on the player. Most players allow up to 6 hrs per disc, yet Panasonic allow for 8 hours.

Cheap blank dvd-r's can be picked up for as little as 20p if bought in 50/100 cake packs. Which is what you're gonna need to transfer 3,000 films.

How have you aquired so many movies? There must be movies you've not seen in 10 years or more!

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Time Base Corrector. Virtually all DVDRs have this incorporated into their design with the notable exception of the Philips models which is one of the core reasons why they are held in such low regard on this forum.

You should ensure you archive at full resolution - I know it means considerably less per disk but in the end of the day (when you upgrade your screen if not now) you WILL appeciate the difference - even on B&W recordings. On your Philips then you should use the 2.5hrs setting.

I am serious about keeping your original VHS tapes as well. DVDRs are NOT a long term storage medium.

7. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...........OOPS....... I am a real ignorant then ...........
    I thought DVD's lasted forever and were more reliable than tapes.
    Anyway, I am archiving them due to space problems, really (I need 2 whole rooms to keep them :().
    My sister wants to buy another DVDR to help me archiving the movies, and she is thinking of the Panasonic 95 (with DV) or the last Pioneer (can't remember the number). What would be the most appropriate for this massive process ????

Kisses.
    Rebecca. :)

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Panasonic or Pioneer would both give very similar results from archiving from VHS - either would do a good job.

If you do get rid of your VHS tapes I would suggest ensuring you make multiple backups of each of your DVDRs.

9. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One last question (I promise):

Can the Panasonic and/or the Pioneer read the +R DVD's that I am recording with the Philips ????

Thanks for your kind support.
    Kisses.
    Rebecca. :)

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny will read +R,although some Panny machines will not read +RW.
    The main reason the Philips recorder is justfiably held in low regard,is because it simply offers less features than any other HDD/DVDR combo.It is no cheaper,so why pay more for less?
    Interesting about high speed hdd-dvd.Did you realise that if you record to your HDD in HQ quality and its more than 1 hour,you will not be able to copy it to dvd without using 2 discs.Serious drawback and one of the machines basic flaws.
    Why not buy the movies on dvd?Are there really that many that you cannot get on dvd ,where material is arriving on disc faster than it ever did to vhs.Unless its ultra rare,copying vhs-dvd is wasting a blank,even at 20p

11. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regardless of lack of TBC or any other technology incorporated by other models, the point remains that the Philips machines do capture a very good picture and that is true for recording from VHS.
    I have owned a Philips DVDR for almost 2 years and have archived hundreds of VHS tapes in EP - which gives the lowest quality of all the settings.
    The DVD copy is better than the original, as the Philips seems to take away all the fuzziness and smooths the picture over.
    I for one cannot see why there is a `divide` in formats on these forums.
    I have not slated machines that incorporate DVD- technology because I have no reason to and I do not see why others should do this.
    Someone comes on this forum and gives her valued customer opinion and she is immediatly told the Philips are inferior machine? How can this be when she is raving about her picture quality.
    Rebecca - very glad you are happy with your machine and I'm sure you will have many years of good quality, easy usage!

Iain

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you've given reasons for your opinion but a copy can NEVER be better than an original. It may "look" better because it's softer etc. but definitely isn't better ;) .

13. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, perhaps in `theory` its not better but if it looks better, surely then its `better`?

Iain

14. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm suprised the MPEG encoder in the Philips can handle a video signal straight from VHS without first going through some kind of TBC. If it can that might be an advantage since VHS Video will lose some information when cleaned by a TBC

BTW I've just received an e55 for £149 (thanks to LX direct and this forum!)

15. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone who thinks a dvd copy is better than the original is wrong.And at EP-you have to be joking.
    The reason the Philips machines are slated as inferior is because they are.Its great that both of you are happy with it,but had you come on here first,you would have been pointed to any other model because they ARE better.
    The latest review of the Philips in What Video, directly slates the picture quality.I have used a Philips dvd recorder for over a year,followed by a Panasonic HDD model,and now a Pioneer HDD model.I know which is the poorest machine of the 3.

16. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okey dokey.

I guess that the Philips machines are so inferior that they are no longer selling any and that the + format which they support is also failing. But hold on, its the opposite. The Philips DVD recorders continue to sell and many of the affordable machines on the market adopt the + format.
    The fact the you don't like the Philips machine(s) doesn't make them any worse than other machines on the market. I have used almost all the DVD recorders in the marketplace and honestly don't care about formats because they will run side by side for a good while in the future and they are not `different` enough. The fact remains that the Philips are affordable and easy to use, which is all the general consumer will ever care about!
    I do not wish to enter a slanging match with anyone because I have no alliance to any machine or format but when someone posts on this forum that they like their Philips machine, nobody should start slating them because of playground favorites.
    Is this a DVD recorder forum or a DVD minus format camp?

17. Plugman

Plugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have both the Pana 50 and a philips dvdr 880 (its nearly two years old and it still works!!!!!). The Pana is best for functionality but for overall picture quality the Philips wins. Its queiter and quicker to respond to commands too. I was thinking of the Philips to replace the pana because of the Guideplus function. I would be recording mainly to hard drive from a freeview box.

So can anyone tell me will it a control my Thomson DTi 2300 box and b how reliable is the system (ie gaps in schedueles, reliability of scheduels etc)

Grateful for any advice

18. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m not exactly a great fan of +RW machines (for several reasons) but I don’t think they can be criticised on picture quality. Nearly four years ago I had a Philips DVDR1000 MK1 and I found it severely lacking in the editing department (for my purposes) and the +RW discs wouldn’t play on any of my DVD players I had at the time. Remember, the early model of this recorder didn’t have +R! HOWEVER, even with its ‘old’ encoder it was no slouch in the picture quality department and there were certainly no problems with VHS/DV recording in the short time I had it despite a lack of TBC. I sold it after 2 weeks and got an E20. Similar picture quality. Still got it BTW.

19. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We don't simply dislike Philips.They are slated because of their poor functionality.Their unreliability is a bit of an old issue and is nowhere near as relevant as it once was.The plain and simple truth is that for your money,Philips and DVD+ offers so much less than -RW or RAM.All the advantages that Philips used to have have slowly gone one by one.
    I have never slagged off Philips for picture quality,its the latest What Video doing that with Philips latest HDD machine.
    As for DVD+ and Philips leading the market,well,I always said dvd was wasted on the masses who can barely set their equipment up,and lots watch stretched 4:3 pix on their 16:9 tv's.In the UK at least,price wins out over quality everytime with the masses.But on here,we know a bit more about the differences than Joe Public,who won't even care,so there is nothing wrong in pointing out a better machine for your money,even if you CAN get a Mico reconditioned for £90 from Sainsbury's.Sure,it hurts if you have spent £500 on a second rate piece of equipment,I did it myself,but the truth will make sure you are better informed next time

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    OARDVD, the thing you have to remember is that in the early days PQ was comparable between the camps. However whereas the minus camp has constantly evolved their MPEG encoders Philips haven't quite kept up. Ergo the reason they are being slated for PQ in magazines such as What Video these days.

You mean the cheapest chinese imports are DVD+. Look at ALL the major brands names and they all support the minus format: Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Samsung, LG, Pioneer, Denon. You might like to also consider the fact that, although no independent DVDR sale figures are available, the number of unbranded of DVD-R media (the real proof of the pudding) outnumbers that of DVD+R media by about 4 to 1. Checkout most online retailers if you dispute that...

It's a Home Cinema forum - a place where people generally what the best audio visual quality available at a suitable price. As a result the Philips models aren't really held in that much regard here. If your setup isn't upto seeing the weaknesses of the format then I suggest you go to one of the screens forums to seek advice on upgrading. You won't find many people willing to defend cheap rubbish here...

21. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    We do, I would never buy without coming here.

But Tesco's bloke IS buying Philips and Dixons bloke is to a large extent as well.

Philips are guaranteed sales for the forseeable future.

22. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did not mean to start a conflict between different machines and formats. As you probably can guess by now, I am not an expert on this field (to be honest, I understand little to nothing).
    An important point that made me choose the Philips was the advice of the store assistant where I bought it (an "expert" in theory). He told me not to choose a -R media because the editing possibilities were minimal, and that I could not delete commercials without losing a huge amount of compatibility.
    Anyway, next time I will read through this forum (recently discovered) and will trust less people at the stores. They just want to sell....

Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)

23. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    And vhs tapes are? :laugh:

24. robert.hunter

robert.hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Although I have grave concerns about Philips reliability, I do like Guideplus, a 7 day EPG which gives me a single-click record facility. Is there any possibility that Toshiba or Panasonic will have a similar facility in the foreseeable future?

25. Plugman

Plugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I would like to know this as well. I presume all recordings performed by a pana etc from a freeview box only tell you the time they were performed which is not a lot of use a few months down the line. I am less concerned with Philips reliability which from a personal point of view is no worse than many other leading makes. If you look on these forums you will see that practically every make has had problems at certain times (Sony TV's, Pana PD 30 TV Freeview adapters).

Anyway, next time I will read through this forum (recently discovered) and will trust less people at the stores. They just want to sell....

Whilst its good to read this forum and there is much excellent advice here, I think that we all have our own personal likes etc and so can be somewhat biased. The best way to buy, Rebecca, is from somewhere where you can exchange it within a month if its not to your liking. John Lewis are very good in this respect and they have a very good price match policy. :)

26. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    robert.hunter & plugman

Some of the machines auto name from Teletext on terrestrial broadcasts. All have a function that will allow you to edit the name of a recording.

I have the Tosh32 and I add names to terrestrial recordings after programming them in using Videoplus. I add names to Sky+ downloads after separating into programmes or chapters.

A built in Freeview decoder is next years plan for the HDD/DVD recorder market, with ToshRDXS34 rumoured to be the first in about March.

NS

27. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Just to backup what Neville has said - yes soon more and more DVD recorders will come with EPGs as Freeview tuners become standard. By the end of next year most mid-high range DVD recorders will come with them. The Sony GXD500 is available next month and is the first. The Toshiba RDXS34 (already mentioned) will be the first HDD/DVDR model.

A note about GuidePlus though: it's original UK business model required it's adoption by multiple companies to make it a viable option (in the US many Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Philips and other models use the service). However all these companies have opted not to use the UK version due to insufficient bandwidth meaning it will not adapt to mid-short term programme alterations. Accordingly it's long term future in the UK is now highly suspect...

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    You might want to consider the Sales of Goods Act Rebecca or even the small claims court if necessary because this is wrong. When talking about HDD/DVDR combos then with a DVD+R machine such as the HDRW720 you will end up with a less compatible disk that has poor edits whereas most DVD minus machine will not.

What he was sayings holds true to a degree on standalone units: but even then you have to take into account that the 'editting' allowed on DVD+RW is minimal and inaccurate compared to it's rivals (which is why most companies have dumped it from their machines, e.g. LiteOn, Sony).

29. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You'll struggle to use the Sale of Goods Act in these circumstances.

You could certainly claim misrepresentation and rescission but it would be a very hard legal battle indeed.

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    If she has been fed duff information then you should fight no matter how 'hard' the legal battle. Given though that small claims is initiated by a small fixed cost and you can represent yourself quite easily it's well worth arguing. Even if she fails to prove misrep then the decision could well dovetail into mistake - whatever the contract is null and void as a result.

Odds are though if the store was a decent one they will admit they made a mistake and offer a refund/replacement - especially if you make it clear it will go to the next step. Polite but robust always yields results in my experience.