Why have you gone for V+?

After reading the posts on this thread im very tempted to get V+.

I currently have a very old Pace “Telewest” digi box, SD stuff is ok but nothing special on my Sony 40” LCD.

Reasons why I would go for it are better quality SD TV and the possibility to view HD content even if it is limited.

Someone convince me that I need to order it today :)

Mate, I was hesitant as well but considering you can cancel within a month of install I see no reason to wait.

Had a V+ box for about 3 months now, wouldn't be without it, its fantastic.

I also have a second box upstairs and only wish I could get a second V+ box!

The TV downstairs is a 32" Tosh 32WLT66 on HDMI and the picture is very good indeed, the only ones that suffer are Sky Sports - the halo round the players in football is really REALLY annoying - rugby looks fine tho ???

Anyhoo, got a standard box upstairs connected through SCART to a 32" Samsung panel - the picture quality is very poor in comparison...

Ski

I swapped from SKY+.
I refused to pay for SKY HD and the exorbitant costs of its hd box.
AND I don't like how the owner is behaving with his take-over of ITV and other recent actions.

The V+ box is fantastic, the quality of the build is amazing and its FREE.
I get a lot of use out of TV On Demand as I miss stuff and then the reviews come out saying how great such and such was.. I just check the EPG select the missed proggie and away I go.
The HD films are great at 1p too.

As for the costs, they are extremely competitive when I tie in my 20mb broadband, the phone landline 24/7 and mobile.

tb

Had a V+ box for about 3 months now, wouldn't be without it, its fantastic.

I also have a second box upstairs and only wish I could get a second V+ box!

The TV downstairs is a 32" Tosh 32WLT66 on HDMI and the picture is very good indeed, the only ones that suffer are Sky Sports - the halo round the players in football is really REALLY annoying - rugby looks fine tho ???

Anyhoo, got a standard box upstairs connected through SCART to a 32" Samsung panel - the picture quality is very poor in comparison...

Ski

Bearing in mind that it is not the V+ or standard STB causing the poor picture, it is much more likely to be the LCD panels.

I called them up and they waived the £25 install to keep me as a customer. Wasnt very happy when the guy confirmed its NEXT friday install, not tomorrow as was promised before!

i went to V+ because i was finding sky too expensive.

and i liked the idea of 3 tuners on the v+ box (im really shocked about how much recording i actually do now!)

HD not a big issue for me because i stream via the 360 or HTPC HD material

for value for money i to believe the v+ is alot better than sky+(HD) but i feel as though the software does let the v+ box down a little.

if they fix the softwarE(speed up channel changing) it would be perfect!

also the upscaled channels are great!

i've been with Ntl for just under a year, so i called them today to see if i could get a deal for V+. I ended up getting V+ thrown in for free, so i'll be able to let you know what its like.. i would say the main advantage of V+ is the additional tuner so you can record 2 channels while looking at a third (unlike SKy) and also the same box for HD content and Harddrive.

I picked V+ because telewest was already installed in the house when I bought it. It was great when they brought out the TV drive. Unfortunately despite my expectations taht Virgin would improve the service - I am a great fan of Branson - unfortunately things have gone down hill - not sure if this is Virgin's fault or if it is due to ntl who have a really bad reputation. Whatever the reason I am a customer who is paying a lot of money and all I want is a decent service where the equipment works as advertised - is that too much to ask?

After reading the posts on this thread im very tempted to get V+.

I currently have a very old Pace “Telewest” digi box, SD stuff is ok but nothing special on my Sony 40” LCD.

Reasons why I would go for it are better quality SD TV and the possibility to view HD content even if it is limited.

Someone convince me that I need to order it today :)

Get it if you've already got Telewest or NTL. You'll be extremely pleasantly surprised. It genuinely gives a better upscaled pic on SD than your panel will manage, and actually I wasn't sure I really needed the recording but I wouldn't give it back now.

I've hated cable's incompetence (and it's all the same even though Branson owns 10% of it now, which is why it can use the Virgin name, Virgin is practically a franchise operation for the name) for a long time, but this has made me feel positively towards it in the first time for years.

Because it worked out cheaper than the older box :smashin:
Phoned them up saying I was going to cancel & switch over to sky & they offered me the V+ box for free & knocked £5 off my monthly bill.
Only had it in for a couple of weeks & I'm impressed up to now.
Not had any experience of the Sky HD stuff so cant really compare....

and i liked the idea of 3 tuners on the v+ box (im really shocked about how much recording i actually do now!)

I agree on this account, I spend 10 mins in the morning flicking through the EPG and hitting record, almost willy nilly. And the yellow 'Record series' button gets used constantly!!!! :smashin:

The main reason for me cancelling my Sky Subs and going to a V+ box was that SKY wanted to charge me £99 for SKY+ installation where as VM was charging £0 for it. Also it's a HD box as well.

I've had Sky HD for a year and am changing to V+ shortly.The main reason is package price as I have NTL broadband and phone anyway so I am going for the £85 all in which saves me around £25 when billed separately.As for HD after the initial novelty has worn off I found I wasn't using it much as a bad film/programme is just as bad on HD as well so you wouldn't watch it anyway and Sky 1 HD is a joke because it isn't mainly HD.I also find that any film etc that has been shown/recorded in HD comes over very well on non HD channels so I won't miss it and I don't watch Sky1 anyway:thumbsup:

I went for the V+ box a few weeks ago. Certainly better than the freeview I was receiving via a DVD recorder with built in freeview.
The HDD is great for recording on and so easy to use. Plus the pause live TV is a bonus.
You could always have V+ installed on a 30 day trial. If it is not what you want VM have a 30 day money back guarantee.

But are people still required to pay the £75 installation fee even if only for a trail which you subsequently decide not to continue with?

But are people still required to pay the £75 installation fee even if only for a trail which you subsequently decide not to continue with?

As an existing customer I managed to get the install down to £25 and then for free after a little persuasion. The rep on the phone was desperate to keep me on board after I complained that I missed Sky Sports News.

I still cancelled the installation as I had bad memories of NTL billing me for everything and adding late credits after long complaints. They may have improved considerably since then for all I know but I dont 100% pay the bills therefore its not my say.

Hard drive,HD,3 tuners,hd,optical out,on demand............
Just a small rental charge and nothing to worry about if the box blows up.I have had this installed on a VIP package for 6 weeks now and not a single problem.
I cant see what the fuss is all about.:D

Dazzler

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom