Why have you gone for V+?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by bash, Apr 25, 2007.

1. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Can I just ask everyone why they've gone for V+ over SkyHD? Im tempted to go for V+ because of the price but there isnt enough HD content for me.

To be honest I mainly want it for HD movies and football so Im 90% leaning towards Murdoch&co but I thought I'd see what people here are viewing before I sign on the dotted line.

thanks

2. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    On Demand is a big plus for me (but not others), both the subscribed TV Choice content and the PPV movies. I much prefer the pay per movie approach for things like movies than I do the subscription.

Main reason, I don't want a satelite dish on my house!

3. alienandy

alienandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The HD 'thing' is obviously nice, but after watching a couple of footy games on BBC HD channel you don't really go mad about it anymore. I mean, you don't keep sitting there admiring the picture as you are too involved in what you are watching! Like I said before, how can companies like Sky charge so much for this is beyond me. Believe me, I was waiting to show off my BBC HD footy to my step son, but a now I don't think it is such a big deal. Certainly not worth paying Sky for a box for! They should pay you!! After all, you have got to pay extra subscription after that too!! Unbelievable.
    I got the V+ box for HD footy on BBC HD, but mainly the excellent VOD and the recording capabilities. What a piece of kit. I used to love the Sky system I have to admit, but I would never give this box up for that.
    Hope this helps?

4. ScottBT

ScottBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The main reason is that I live in a top floor flat and satellite dishes are banned.:thumbsdow

I doubt I would have gone for Sky HD anyway as the £300 for the box is a joke.

The V+ is great for my needs and I don't miss HD as I've never had it. The HDD and the 3 tuners get used almost all the time, even for random programmes that I might not even watch for weeks/months.

I just wish it looked less like an early ninties VHS machine. oh well.:)

5. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another reason is that if the box or anything else goes wrong with the cable or phone or modem VM fix it for free whereas with Sky you own the kit (box cable dish modem) and have to pay to get it fixed.

Also Sky insist that a phone line is connected to their box - this is the way that sky provide interaction (although some people still think that the dish sends it back up to the satellite:rolleyes: ) and I believe you are charged a semi premium rate for those calls. And of course you cant phone out whilst the box is using the line. It alsomeans another cable routed round your house to the box.

I am on VM but have not got VM+ yet The cost of the box and the reasons above will keep me away from Sky when I do change as soon as I can make my mind up which LCD/Plasma to buy. In that respect I have seen reports in ths forum that the VM+ box when connected by HDMI gives excellent upscaling of SD - better than that from internal freeview tuners. However I recently witnessed a comparison of freeview SD and SD from a SkyHD box (via HDMI) - there was no doubt that the freeview picture was by far the better as seen on several different LCD's and Plasmas.

6. t11rmh

t11rmh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Historically, I have had NTL cable. The lack of HD content isn't too much of a problem at the moment. The three tuners and the ability to record two channels at once is a real bonus.

I have never liked the way Sky has done business so have never been tempted to go that route.

7. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    It depends how much you want the HD content. I happily pay my extra £10.00 a month and could never go back to watching SD Football and movies. My flatmate just got his V+ box and having seen Sky HD in my room he's gutted he went with Virgin.:suicide:

8. ScottBT

ScottBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    oh one other thing, the upscaled SD picture via HDMI is excellent on my 37" LCD. :cool:

9. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    What is the res of the upscaled picture?

I read a rumour that Virgin will be launching a new box which will upscale every channel to HD 720p/1080i therefore having a lot more channels then Sky. I'd be gutted if I ended up with SKY that happend!

10. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    It already upscales all channels to either 720p or 1080i.

Upscaling is a fancy way of approximating the extra detail of SD images for an HD screen. This can be done rather badly or rather well, fortunately the V+ comes under the later. This does not buid a true HD picture but dramatically improves SD picture quality.

Dunno for sure but considering some reports the Sky HD box doesn't do this well as the V+.

11. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Hmmm, that actually sounds pretty good. Has anyone compared what Sky sports looks like on V+ to SKYs HDS service?

12. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    The HD picture will always :censored: all over an upscaled SD picture.

Sky Sports HD via Sky will be a hell of a lot better than Sky Sports SD via cable upscaled.

13. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    I realise this but if its better on my plasma via HDMI than my SD CRT Virgin service in my living room than I would probably go for it. Also what sound out options does the V+ box have? Optical/Coaxil? Does it do 5.1 out?

14. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Free replacement by VM if it breaks down.

On Demand stuff and catch up.

HD wasn't a consideration.

15. Trent.

Trent.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I just swapped 2 weeks ago to a v+ box from sky+ and love it. I don't yet have a hd tv so it certainly was'nt for hd content.

As said before, twin recorders, price, on demand and in all the years i was with ntl now virgin, there customer service has been excellent. Can't say the same for sky cs and general attitude,which was the original reason i swapped.

16. Decadent Fool

Decadent Fool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I went for it as it has 3 tuners and 160gb hdd - I had it for 9 months before I got an hd tv.

I wouldn't be without it now

17. MisterSix

MisterSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ditched Sky because their picture quality is by and large godawful.

The V+ box gives me BBCHD and a fair bit of on-demand HD content (not enough, but a fair bit). Originally connecting via SCART, the picture blew Sky's SD (and most of their HD which is mostly upscaled from poor source anyway) completely out of the water.

Having now switched over to HDMI and an LCD TV, picture quality from the V+ is absolutely phenomenal. BBCHD and the other HD stuff is of course a shade above the upscaled SD, but the upscaled SD is more than good enough for me.

Also, having switched fully (broadband, phone, tv), it's considerably cheaper than Sky + BT.

18. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Can anyone show me shots of their display showing Virgin+ SD upscaled? Im particularly interested in what Sky sports looks like upscaled.

19. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I went for the V+ box a few weeks ago. Certainly better than the freeview I was receiving via a DVD recorder with built in freeview.
    The HDD is great for recording on and so easy to use. Plus the pause live TV is a bonus.
    You could always have V+ installed on a 30 day trial. If it is not what you want VM have a 30 day money back guarantee.

20. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756

That sounds good, think I will go for it. Its too late to order SKYhd for footy anyway, the seasons practically over. I think it would be better to order it around August to get cheaper Prem Plus as well.

21. Yellowduck

Yellowduck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys....

I was thinking of possibly upgrading to V+ from the standard VM pace box, but one of the things putting me off is that after 10 years with Telewest/NTL/and now VM, the b*stards want £75 to swap the box over, when it is free to new customers, or if you wanna pay £5 pm to keep the old box in another room.....

Anyone found a way around this?

22. truscotsman72

truscotsman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ive been a member with Telewest since it was called cableinet. When I went for the change to the Virgin V+ box I also got told £75 quid or £5 a month and free installation if I opt for the 2nd box in the bedroom. I did go for this option, but when I got my first bill, I noticed I had a massive discount and the bill labelled at as 'Loyal Telewest Customer', so it wasnt all that bad. I think my first bill was £18 quid in total

Hope this helps ;)

23. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Because they gave me the box for free and knocked £15 a month off the list price.. I wouldn't pay the full extortionate prices for V+ or sky HD

24. truscotsman72

truscotsman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh err yeah, the name of the thread. Well I have to go with cable as I live in a valley and my house is surrounded by forestry, not a hope in hell of receiving a satelitte signal, nor a terrestrial aerial signal, so I went for cable. The V+ was the next logical step to get the same as what Sky+ has, except the V+ is slightly better as it has 3 tuners as upposed to Skys 2

25. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    I ordered it yesterday and it should be coming this Friday, I asked for 2 HDMI cables and for a cheaper installation as our bills are quite expensive. The chap then added notes on his system for the cables and knocked a tenner off the install so it'll be £15 instead of £25.

I might call them back and tell them I want to cancel unless they give me a free install. Im just worried that they wont do the wiring properly as it needs to go into my loft extension and last time NTL came round to do some stuff they left loads of loose cabling instead of nailing it to the skirting boards properly!

26. tom528

tom528

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading the posts on this thread im very tempted to get V+.

I currently have a very old Pace “Telewest” digi box, SD stuff is ok but nothing special on my Sony 40” LCD.

Reasons why I would go for it are better quality SD TV and the possibility to view HD content even if it is limited.

Someone convince me that I need to order it today :)

27. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Mate, I was hesitant as well but considering you can cancel within a month of install I see no reason to wait.

28. speedski

speedski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Had a V+ box for about 3 months now, wouldn't be without it, its fantastic.

I also have a second box upstairs and only wish I could get a second V+ box!

The TV downstairs is a 32" Tosh 32WLT66 on HDMI and the picture is very good indeed, the only ones that suffer are Sky Sports - the halo round the players in football is really REALLY annoying - rugby looks fine tho ???

Anyhoo, got a standard box upstairs connected through SCART to a 32" Samsung panel - the picture quality is very poor in comparison...

Ski

29. twobells

twobells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I swapped from SKY+.
    I refused to pay for SKY HD and the exorbitant costs of its hd box.
    AND I don't like how the owner is behaving with his take-over of ITV and other recent actions.

The V+ box is fantastic, the quality of the build is amazing and its FREE.
    I get a lot of use out of TV On Demand as I miss stuff and then the reviews come out saying how great such and such was.. I just check the EPG select the missed proggie and away I go.
    The HD films are great at 1p too.

As for the costs, they are extremely competitive when I tie in my 20mb broadband, the phone landline 24/7 and mobile.

tb

30. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Bearing in mind that it is not the V+ or standard STB causing the poor picture, it is much more likely to be the LCD panels.